A question for any lurking Duke fans | Syracusefan.com

A question for any lurking Duke fans

SWC75

Bored Historian
You can have one of two results:

1) You beat your hated rivals, the North Carolina Tar Heels, who are having a mediocre season by their standards but then you lose for a second time this year to the invaders from the North, the Syracuse Orangemen, who waltz out of Cameron with that beautiful 28-0 record and #1 national ranking or...

2) The Heels knock you off and get to brag about it but you come back to turn that goose egg at the end of SU's record in to an omelette with a win that tells the world who the best team in this conference really is.

Which do you take?

Monty_Hall.jpg

If they win we are still the best in the conference! We'd have one loss and a split with them in a home n home.

Reactions: cto

1) You beat your hated rivals, the North Carolina Tar Heels, who are having a mediocre season by their standards but then you lose for a second time this year to the invaders from the North, the Syracuse Orangemen, who waltz out of Cameron with that beautiful 28-0 record and #1 national ranking or...
Sorry, but there is no way in Hades that this happens.

For the most part, beating UNC means more then just about anything to them.. Understandable. Saturday is a big game for both teams, but that rivalry trumps everything

2) The Heels knock you off and get to brag about it but you come back to turn that goose egg at the end of SU's record in to an omelette with a win that tells the world who the best team in this conference really is.

Which do you take?

Monty_Hall.jpg

Best answer so far:

Is this a trick question?

I take beating those cheaters from Chapel Hill. Granted, knocking Syracuse down a peg would be fun, but if it's a choice between the two... it's no choice at all.

I understand why you ask, but you poor, sweet innocent people-- you just don't know. Syracuse is a nice place, but unknown to you guys, chief among it's many fine qualities is that it's 600 miles from Chapel Hill. Trust me, if you lived within 8 miles of these folks, they'd be your arch-rivals, too. You wouldn't dream of asking this question. Hell, NCSU in Raleigh is 20 miles away, and they hate UNC just as much as we do. Just a few weeks living next to the constant sanctimony and entitlement would cure you of circling any other game on your basketball calendar.

Just last year an editor on their student newspaper referred to Durham as essentially a third world country and seriously questioned why there wasn't a border-crossing station between our city and their little egg sack. Hell, just last week their moronic fan base decided that even though the entire city was shut down and was currently being featured on national news as an unmitigated snow disaster, they decided Duke had engaged in some sort of conspiracy to evade playing them, presumably because when their 20,000 seat arena isn't filled with their snoring boosters but with actual college students, it would confer some sort of advantage.

I relish every opportunity to beat these blowhards, and wouldn't trade any of those opportunities for the world.

That's a trick question. I really think Duke is going to lose both. Bet the farm!!!

You'll get the same answers if the BE remained intact and Duke moved here.

Duke is undefeated, #1, and at the Dome... win that game or beat Georgetown?

It would definitely be beating Duke.

While UNC is struggling, its still a great program. Duke, UNC, Syracuse... great programs. Georgetown, a hated rival, but only a solid program since the 90's.

Ya it'd be Duke and it wouldn't be that close. Particularly if we had already lost @Duke and had a home rematch w/ G'town in another couple weeks; which Duke has w/ UNC.
I suspect a lot of them will still say UNC out of peer pressure though.

If people would rather beat Duke than Gtown in this hypothetical world, then we probably never had a rivalry with Gtown to begin with. #SMH

If people would rather beat Duke than Gtown in this hypothetical world, then we probably never had a rivalry with Gtown to begin with. #SMH
I think if Georgetown was having a down year, I'd take the chance to knock off the number one team. Plus, I'm assuming we would get another shot at Georgetown later that season.

Which do you take?

Monty_Hall.jpg
We get 2 wins for beating Duke in Cameron? ;)

Best answer so far:

Is this a trick question?

I take beating those cheaters from Chapel Hill. Granted, knocking Syracuse down a peg would be fun, but if it's a choice between the two... it's no choice at all.

I understand why you ask, but you poor, sweet innocent people-- you just don't know. Syracuse is a nice place, but unknown to you guys, chief among it's many fine qualities is that it's 600 miles from Chapel Hill. Trust me, if you lived within 8 miles of these folks, they'd be your arch-rivals, too. You wouldn't dream of asking this question. Hell, NCSU in Raleigh is 20 miles away, and they hate UNC just as much as we do. Just a few weeks living next to the constant sanctimony and entitlement would cure you of circling any other game on your basketball calendar.

Just last year an editor on their student newspaper referred to Durham as essentially a third world country and seriously questioned why there wasn't a border-crossing station between our city and their little egg sack. Hell, just last week their moronic fan base decided that even though the entire city was shut down and was currently being featured on national news as an unmitigated snow disaster, they decided Duke had engaged in some sort of conspiracy to evade playing them, presumably because when their 20,000 seat arena isn't filled with their snoring boosters but with actual college students, it would confer some sort of advantage.

I relish every opportunity to beat these blowhards, and wouldn't trade any of those opportunities for the world.

What an anti-intellectual, weird, bigoted response! And so very very arrogant! Do you think this person's tongue was in his/her cheek? I do not respect this Duke fan, but there are plenty I do respect.

CuseTroop...That was a great thread you started on the Duke board, and I found the answers very interesting. I like that board. Intelligent posters; intelligent discussions.

Totally agree, Joyce. That is a great thread with some very serious and clever answers. They get it.

I'm a bit disappointed that Troop didn't pick the handle "Bobo the Sasquatch Hunter" over "Arctic", though. ;)

Totally agree, Joyce. That is a great thread with some very serious and clever answers. They get it.

I'm a bit disappointed that Troop didn't pick the handle "Bobo the Sasquatch Hunter" over "Arctic", though. ;)

Everyone gets one chance to be great... and I failed :(

It would definitely be beating Duke.

While UNC is struggling, its still a great program. Duke, UNC, Syracuse... great programs. Georgetown, a hated rival, but only a solid program since the 90's.

You meant 80's right?

You meant 80's right?

I meant the 90's. The 80's were a high period for Georgetown - they were better than "solid" in that decade.

Some serious hatred for the "why is the sky blue?" fans there. I feel all that about Gtown but even here in the DMV, nobody cares about the Hoyas. We are not 8 miles away from anything except Lemoyne. When someone suggested a Duke fan can get poisoned by a Carolina fan pharmacist at the drugstore, whoa!