A question the Axeman didn't really swing at. | Syracusefan.com

A question the Axeman didn't really swing at.

SWC75

Bored Historian
I called into Brent Axe's show today to ask this question:

Dino Babers can't afford to have 4 losing seasons in his first five and the proposed schedule, with just one non-conference game, 10 conference games arguably the 5 most difficult games on the road is a recipe for disaster. I opined that Dino should be given a free pass for this year because of all the changes in the pre-season and season schedule but I wondered if he will be given one by A) the school, B) the the community, C) the media, especially the national media or D) and most importantly , the recruits? Or will the media start listing him as a coach on the hot seat, will recruits read that and look at the record and conclude that he's not going to be successful here so why come where and will the fans or the school begin to turn on Dino..

Brent took the question as if I was asking is Dino SHOULD be given a free pass and listed all the reasons why he should. He didn't discuss the likelihood of the groups listed actually giving him one.

I think the school will want to stick with him as long as possible because we've changed coaches too often in recent years and you can't build anything if you keep changing coaching staffs and cutting off the recruiting pipelines they've established. If think most of the fans will do the same because they understand that and they like Dino. But I think the national press will just see four losing seasons in five years and make Dino being on the hot seat a 'hot take'. And I think recruits, who have already been reluctant to buy into the program, might be looking elsewhere.

What do you think will be the attitude toward what happens on the field this season of
A) the University
B) the community
C) the media and
D) the recruits

Of course if Dino can come up with a winner against this schedule, that would eliminate the problem. But what if this year is just too much of a challenge?

Last edited:
Every coach in college football should be given a free pass for this season regardless of how it plays out. There's already been so many changes with Spring Football being wiped out + offseason workout changes + limited recruiting visits that will affect this season.

This season means nothing with regards for a long-term picture. We're in a totally unprecedented situation. I certainly won't judge Dino harshly if they actually play and the team performs poorly against a hellacious road schedule.

everybody is in same boat, we had 3 of 15 spring practices and will have about 10 extra walk throughs. No excuses unless teams lose starters due to virus or sitting out . Also I know it’s something to do but Axe is a dope he just likes to stir the pot . I read his article the other day when talking WRs he mentioned someone ( I’m not gonna be mean and name him ) who hasn’t come close to playing and hasn’t been mentioned anywhere by his play even in practice , spring , etc , he just throws a name out there . What use is he to fans wanting some inside info or players on the rise ? I guess readers like him I personally think he adds nothing but pot stirring if that’s your thing he’s your guy .

This season means nothing with regards for a long-term picture. We're in a totally unprecedented situation. I certainly won't judge Dino harshly if they actually play and the team performs poorly against a hellacious road schedule.
Don’t see empty stadium road games being a problem

This season will be complete chaos. Picture us hearing the night before Clemson that half their team and a quarter of ours has to sit. How do you assess the outcome? I’m no longer sure that “football at any cost” is a good idea after having seen the MLB experience

Dino Babers is an outstanding football coach, imo one of the best in the country. Stick with him, keep him here and the program will return to the glory it deserves. One more thing: Not that every school considers this important , but I think we do: HCDB is a damn fine man, one that you would want your son to play for.
Plus, if there is a season, this team is going to be a lot better than many people think.

Still not really getting an answer to my question(s):

What do you think will be the attitude toward what happens on the field this season of
A) the University
B) the community
C) the media and
D) the recruits

everybody is in same boat, we had 3 of 15 spring practices and will have about 10 extra walk throughs. No excuses unless teams lose starters due to virus or sitting out . Also I know it’s something to do but Axe is a dope he just likes to stir the pot . I read his article the other day when talking WRs he mentioned someone ( I’m not gonna be mean and name him ) who hasn’t come close to playing and hasn’t been mentioned anywhere by his play even in practice , spring , etc , he just throws a name out there . What use is he to fans wanting some inside info or players on the rise ? I guess readers like him I personally think he adds nothing but pot stirring if that’s your thing he’s your guy .

I like him a lot and he likes me. He's not a 'pot stirrer' but he does have a tendency to reframe questions to reiterate a point he's previously made, as he did in this case.

I think a through c give Babers a pass on the season.

I don’t know much about recruiting - what has significantly altered recruiting in the last decade? I hear facilities as an answer here a lot. If that’s truly the case I don’t see that changing. Maybe a brief change to committing to more local/regional schools? Not sure. I do know we’re only five months into a year long pandemic and the economic strain is going to show even more starkly in the coming months. Maybe that has an affect as well. But I don’t see Babersand this season, whatever it looks like, being affected by opinions of our on the field performance

The school has no money, they will do what ever they need to get thru the 2-3 more yrs before any decision like this would be made.

Wait, people listen to Brent Axe and call into his show? Did he answer the question in his dopey old man voice?!

Should Dino get a free pass for this year, YES. But perception is reality and a 4th losing season will be quickly forgotten about once the pandemic is behind us at some point. People (fans, recruits, opponents...etc) will just look at the last few year's record and not put an * next to anything. That's the reality of big-time college sports. It's black and white and there is no shade of gray.

I'm a big fan of Dino. I'm in no rush to get rid of him. But a couple more losing seasons and in a year or two that is a conversation that has to be had and it may be time to move in a different direction. We aren't there yet though.

A) the University
B) the community
C) the media and
D) the recruits

A) The University won't care they got bigger issues right now
B) The community won't care as major college football is an afterthought in Onondaga County
C) The media is soft in Syracuse and they give every sports team a free pass no matter what happens
D) The recruits...well if it's a bad season that affects their decision on coming here. If it's a good season, that will help our odds of getting better recruits. I don't think an odd year in a pandemic changes anything recruiting wise. Winning helps, losing hurts.

There is no question that a losing season strengthens the perception that 2018 was an anomaly and will certainly be used against us by rival recruiters. In general, though, I think the media, University and community fully realize that whatever happens on the field this year is colored by the environment and distractions that we prepare and play under and don;t think any definitive judgements will come out of it. I would not be surprised to see significant players opt out not only at Syracuse but across the college football landscape.

I'm a bit confused by one of your points: "arguably the 5 most difficult games on the road, (three vs. teams we played on the road last year :mad:), " We hosted Clemson and Pitt and didn't play UNC or Notre Dame, so Louisville is the only opponent we will play on the road in back to back seasons. Conversely we get BC and Wake home for a second straight year. If the 2021 rotation stays in place that would mean the same venue in 3 straight years for those opponents. I assume that might be addressed.

Dino is a player's coach. I think he's great for the players and the community. Besides, if you fire him, who are you going to get?

I feel like we've had a revolving door of coaches since Coach P left. Let's stick with one guy who knows what he's doing.

If played, this is a no lose season for Dino. Definitely gets a pass on a poor record but if by some unseen bolt of lightning the team gets 7 or 8 wins out of this throw together schedule..... he is a sizzling hot candidate again and we are wringing our hands in sweat.

Seth, Brent and the rest of the usual suspects will give him a pass. Locally.

Regional and National will not.

A) the University
B) the community
C) the media and
D) the recruits

Six wins or better, great attitude all around.

Losing season, but competitive games with a revived SU offense, major pass all around. It is a great schedule for the fans.

‘Bunch of bad losses, community will be down, but that will not have much impact on national media or recruits. Unfortunately, the expectations for our program are low outside our hard core base.

Our recruiting ironically could go way up if we're one of two conferences to play this year? People will pay attention to Syracuse by default playing the likes of Clemson, ND, etc.

Dino isn't going anywhere. school doesn't have the appetite to fire someone right now. It costs money to buy someone out and it would be moronic to do so with the way Dino is respected in college football. If you told me that Nick Saban wants to return to where it all began then ok, fire Dino.

I will say this, and as I stated earlier, I'm in no rush to move on from Dino. But another losing year or so does change things. If you are Syracuse University and assuming no fans at the Dome this year, and who knows where we will be a year from now probably with no fans again or limited fans....WHENEVER we are back to normal and fans can go to games like "the old days"...if Dino has 1 winning season on his resume and that's it, he is TOAST!

The last thing Syracuse University wants is this fancy new stadium they spent so much time and money on with a bad team and no fans in attendance for football games in the fall.

And everyone can say SU won't want to fire him and eat that contract and the AD won't do it...we have NO CLUE what this AD will do as he is going through all of this for the first time and he didn't hire Dino.

So while I am fully on "Team Dino"...there is the real life aspect of this we all need to realize and stop thinking SU is so poor they can't fire anyone or they won't based off what previous people have done in years past.

Wait, people listen to Brent Axe and call into his show? Did he answer the question in his dopey old man voice?!

Should Dino get a free pass for this year, YES. But perception is reality and a 4th losing season will be quickly forgotten about once the pandemic is behind us at some point. People (fans, recruits, opponents...etc) will just look at the last few year's record and not put an * next to anything. That's the reality of big-time college sports. It's black and white and there is no shade of gray.

I'm a big fan of Dino. I'm in no rush to get rid of him. But a couple more losing seasons and in a year or two that is a conversation that has to be had and it may be time to move in a different direction. We aren't there yet though.

Well, you must listen to him if you know he uses an "old man" voice.

Other than that, this is the type of answer I was looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom