a silver lining to rutgers in the b1g | Syracusefan.com

a silver lining to rutgers in the b1g

KaiserUEO

2022 and 2x ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
is that in order to keep the NYC area recruit pipeline hot, the Orange will have to play at least 1x a year at Giants or Yankee Stadium.

i look for the games to be amped up now.

is that in order to keep the NYC area recruit pipeline hot, the Orange will have to play at least 1x a year at Giants or Yankee Stadium.

CitiField. Or the new Cosmos pitch. :cool:

Not sure what is going to happen on that front. With its tiny capacity, Yankee Stadium can't pay anything close to a reasonable guarantee of money. Given the disasterous attendance for the USC game, I am not sure the MetLife people will be excited to schedule annual Syracuse games...who are we going to play each year that is going to draw big crowds?).

But if Syracuse does pursue additional football games in the NYC area, they will have some competition in the marketplace..

A little discussed dirty detail of the B1G agreement to let Rutgers join is that RU is being forced to play some B1G games in MetLife (where they will in theory be the home team but in practice will be the away team).

They didn't get a full membership to the B1G. They got an associate membership. Still, this is a fantastic outcome for a program that is among the worst in the history of college football.

I'm not sure about "at least one." But I think it's a foregone conclusion that SU will try to play one every year.

Since UConn is going to be a midmajor playing them in the non-conference in an annual game at Yankee Stadium or if we feel we can fill Metlife wouldn't be a bad idea. I wouldn't mind playing them as we should beat them most years now and wouldn't require us to schedule ideal non-conference games in NYC. Plus, it would kind of tweek Rutgers. Even with Rutgers in the B1G I don't see them contending for the B1G title Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin will most likely have 1 or 2 maybe all 3 have better teams than Rutgers. Just play UConn in the NYC and it helps Dr. Gross with scheduling.

Not sure what is going to happen on that front. With its tiny capacity, Yankee Stadium can't pay anything close to a reasonable guarantee of money. Given the disasterous attendance for the USC game, I am not sure the MetLife people will be excited to schedule annual Syracuse games...who are we going to play each year that is going to draw big crowds?).

But if Syracuse does pursue additional football games in the NYC area, they will have some competition in the marketplace..

A little discussed dirty detail of the B1G agreement to let Rutgers join is that RU is being forced to play some B1G games in MetLife (where they will in theory be the home team but in practice will be the away team).

They didn't get a full membership to the B1G. They got an associate membership. Still, this is a fantastic outcome for a program that is among the worst in the history of college football.

Yep, that didn't get a lot of mention. But during the Rutgers presser, they were whistling a different tune on this topic (different from when ND wanted to schedule them there).

Is all that for real?

After all the positive hype surrounding the last half of this season, I think a lot more people will be interested in the Syracuse product. Plus, if I am correct, the next two scheduled opponents are Ped State and ND. With those two, the attendance numbers increase dramatically, IMHO.

- I think Rutgers going big ten hurts us recruiting-wise. The money that comes in to MD and Rutgers will help them improve their facilities, making them tougher to compete against. But I'm more worried about the other B1G schools that will get more exposure in those markets for both football and basketball. In ten years you will have HS grads that have grown up watching big ten teams draw more for their spring games than a sold out dome. ACC affiliation won't help us much either. Check out the 2011 attendance report (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FBS_ATTENDANCE.pdf), B1g has 6 teams in the top 20 in the country to the ACC's 2 (and highest was #16).

We should schedule 1-1 w/ Rutgers... 1 in the Dome, 1 in MetLife... would easily increase our influence in that region with continued beatings...

- I think Rutgers going big ten hurts us recruiting-wise. The money that comes in to MD and Rutgers will help them improve their facilities, making them tougher to compete against. But I'm more worried about the other B1G schools that will get more exposure in those markets for both football and basketball. In ten years you will have HS grads that have grown up watching big ten teams draw more for their spring games than a sold out dome. ACC affiliation won't help us much either. Check out the 2011 attendance report (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FBS_ATTENDANCE.pdf), B1g has 6 teams in the top 20 in the country to the ACC's 2 (and highest was #16).

They'll be losing, a lot, at everything. And playing the 11AM game on the B1G network more often than not.

At some point, kids want to win, and win in front of their family. A lot easier to go after a kid in the mid-Atlantic with all the car trips to most games as opposed to RU and UMD playing so many of their games in another timezone.

After all the positive hype surrounding the last half of this season, I think a lot more people will be interested in the Syracuse product. Plus, if I am correct, the next two scheduled opponents are Ped State and ND. With those two, the attendance numbers increase dramatically, IMHO.

First, let's throw out Yankee Stadium as a venue. It only holds 40K or so, is a terrible place to watch a game and you can't play in it until November. Throw out CitiField as well for the same reasons.

That leaves MetLife.

I agree the games against ND and Penn State will have higher attendance than the game against USC. ND will particularly (Penn State attendance was falling even before the scandal and with bad teams expected in future years, it is just going to get worse).

If MetLife could schedule a Syracuse game against Penn State or Notre Dame every season, I am sure they would. But Penn State and ND are not going to play us there every year.

There aren't many schools out there that are capable of drawing big crowds to New Jersey (Syracuse for instance clearly cannot).

Who are the opponents going to be? The other options are mostly going to be B1G teams, and they are going to be playing Rutgers at MetLife anyway.

The real question is, did MetLife make money on the SU-USC game? Is it possible to pay guarantees big enough to make the trip worthwhile for two attractive schools to sign up to play when the crowd is in the range of say 35K to 45K? If the answer is no, I don't see a lot of games at MetLife in SU's future. I don't see how it is possible for the MetLife people to make good money with games that struggle to fill half of their stadium.

I might be missing something though.

They'll be losing, a lot, at everything. And playing the 11AM game on the B1G network more often than not.

At some point, kids want to win, and win in front of their family. A lot easier to go after a kid in the mid-Atlantic with all the car trips to most games as opposed to RU and UMD playing so many of their games in another timezone.

Was just going to say something similar. I was worried how this might impact recruiting going forward. However it's going to be hard to convince kids to come and play football when your only winning 3 - 5 games a year; it doesn't matter if your in the B10 if you suck.

As long as its a game vs Stony Brook or Albany sure. Otherwise we will be playing "home" games while being grossly outnumbered by PSU & ND fans. Besides the $$ we saw how well the USC game turned out with our large nyc alumni base.

Since UConn is going to be a midmajor playing them in the non-conference in an annual game at Yankee Stadium or if we feel we can fill Metlife wouldn't be a bad idea. I wouldn't mind playing them as we should beat them most years now and wouldn't require us to schedule ideal non-conference games in NYC. Plus, it would kind of tweek Rutgers. Even with Rutgers in the B1G I don't see them contending for the B1G title Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin will most likely have 1 or 2 maybe all 3 have better teams than Rutgers. Just play UConn in the NYC and it helps Dr. Gross with scheduling.
Yep, Metlife and Yankee Stadium will be thrilled to host a game with under 30,000 fans...
As long as its a game vs Stony Brook or Albany sure. Otherwise we will be playing "home" games while being grossly outnumbered by PSU & ND fans. Besides the $$ we saw how well the USC game turned out with our large nyc alumni base.
We will never play a non-marquee opponent at Metlife/Yankee. Not a chance.

First, let's throw out Yankee Stadium as a venue. It only holds 40K or so, is a terrible place to watch a game and you can't play in it until November. Throw out CitiField as well for the same reasons.

Well, technically you can play in CitiField in October. If that helps.

Or a 2 Home/1 Away against Army. Granted that only gets us one game every 3 years down in the NYC area but it does help us with the general area. Plus Army sounds a lot better than Stony Brook.

Yep, Metlife and Yankee Stadium will be thrilled to host a game with under 30,000 fans...

Oh I know, was said with lots of sarcasm.

Did you read my post? I said only Metlife if we could fill the stadium up if we couldn't fillup Metlife I wouldn't want to play there, and if you don't think UConn/SU could get close to 40k for Yankee Stadium then we should be embarrassed. I am thinking of an easy trip, with a decent opponent in an area we want attention in. With scheduling games getting tougher if we played UConn in NYC then more appealing games could be played in the Dome.

storz and army are Yankee Stadium-esque opponents for nov.

ND is a Giants Stadium-esque opponent.

yeah, i guess the b1g 5 (M, osu, psu, neb and wisc) will likely be playing Giants Stadium anyway v rutgers, so that kind of takes them off the table for SU.

that definetly puts some handcuffs on. we now need to look at texas & tenn, and i know florida could sell it, but do they want to?

maybe there is no silver lining.:noidea:

swofford shouldve offered rutgers when he had the chance. :bang::bang::bang:

Oh Lord

Well, technically you can play in CitiField in October. If that helps.
Ouch. It really hurts because it is so true...

But even if you could sell CitiField or Yankee Stadium out and get 40K in the building, how much more money are you going to make than simply playing the game in the Dome? You have all the extra expenses of playing an away game, you have to buy the middle man for the use of the field (that might happen indirect with a guaranteed payment up front but it doesn't matter; there is still another big mouth to feed).

There is the impact on the season ticket holders and number of season tickets sold (if you take the more attractive opponent and farm them out to NYC each year, it will affect season ticket sales).

The only way this makes sense is if you can draw markedly higher numbers playing a game in NYC than in the Carrier Dome. What schools is Syracuse going to play each season at MetLife that will draw big crowds? Especially if Rutgers is doing the same thing each season with one or two B1G games?

I doubt we are going to get B1G teams to play at MetLife to compete for tickets sales with Rutgers-B1G games.

if there isn't a yankees game scheduled why not?

30,000 people on an off night is gravy.

if there isn't a yankees game scheduled why not?

30,000 people on an off night is gravy.
I read somewhere shortly after the new Yankee Stadium opened, that the Yankees are more than willing to make their stadium available for football games but only after the primary tenant has finished its season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom