A Small Announcement | Syracusefan.com

A Small Announcement

"As of 2015, ESPN lost around 7 million subscribers in the previous two years, meaning they left about $1.3 billion in subscriber revenue on the table. Sadly, ESPN predicted steady cable company growth overtime like usual, but now they seem to have learned their lesson and are making a move towards streaming."

Just wondering how many subscribers were lost in the NYC DMA or the rather generous NYC Plus 1/2 of Jersey DMA. Hindsight is making the B1G decision that much less impressive, after all, Rutgers and UMD were invited for the cable subscribers they would bring.

7 million = a few millennials and nose bleeds ;)

All in jest reedny ... I assume the truth of the argument is somewhere in the middle, i.e. we are in a transition period.

Side note: if it's not full ESPN, people are not going to subscribe. Niche leagues will not move the needle.

I started using PlayStation Vue this week and dropped my cable boxes back off to Verizon. 35 bucks a month lets me stream all of ESPN's live programming through my PS3 and PS4.

Dont u need someones subscription still though?

2 things

1) how do they gauge ESPN has lost 7 million subscribers? You can't just subscribe to ESPN so if customers are reducing their packages they're opting out of channels like ESPNU which is not in the standard packages. That also means subscribers are opting out of just more than ESPN; you can include the DIYs and HGTVs as well.

2) if ESPN doesn't include football and basketball nobody is going to sign up

Last edited:
I started using PlayStation Vue this week and dropped my cable boxes back off to Verizon. 35 bucks a month lets me stream all of ESPN's live programming through my PS3 and PS4.
Was wondering how espn broadcasts work with streaming. I was looking into getting the sling app on my roku. It gives ESPN, and ESPN 2 live streams, plus for an additional $5 a month, you get ESPNU live streams. Throw in the ESPN3 app on Roku, which is free, and You've got most of your espn needs covered. My question however is, would Sling, or the ESPN from playstation broadcast regionally? I'm wondering if I want to stream Virginia Tech at Syracuse for example, if it would stream that game in this area, or would it just always stream whatever the national game is?

I haven't tried to use Watch ESPN again so that's a good question. On the other hand, I still have my parents login information for their Time Warner account if all else fails. Vue gives me ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, NBC Sports, CSN New England, and the SEC and BIG networks. I'm only worried about Fox and ABC as they only seem to have their programs on demand and not live.

Was wondering how espn broadcasts work with streaming. I was looking into getting the sling app on my roku. It gives ESPN, and ESPN 2 live streams, plus for an additional $5 a month, you get ESPNU live streams. Throw in the ESPN3 app on Roku, which is free, and You've got most of your espn needs covered. My question however is, would Sling, or the ESPN from playstation broadcast regionally? I'm wondering if I want to stream Virginia Tech at Syracuse for example, if it would stream that game in this area, or would it just always stream whatever the national game is?
It's regional. It asks for you zip code when you sign in. I'm not sure if it verifies with your IP address so you may be able to adjust your location to get different regional broadcasts.

7 million = a few millennials and nose bleeds ;)

All in jest reedny ... I assume the truth of the argument is somewhere in the middle, i.e. we are in a transition period.

Side note: if it's not full ESPN, people are not going to subscribe. Niche leagues will not move the needle.
Lol, no problem. I was being funny with the millenials in the nosebleeds ... and the real number is probably more like 9-10% that have cut the cord. It also says ESPN still has 89M subscribers, and: " .. . predicted steady cable company growth overtime like usual."

You also made another interesting point .. that the signal quality (of streaming) can be as good (or better) than cable TV. Some have reported that when they switch to direct TV, their signal improves EVEN if they're watching the same cable stations.

Maybe if they'd clean up the interruptions and software problems with streaming, they could woo more of us cable diehards. The could also offer streams unbundled ... since most cable subscribers hate paying for crap channels they don't watch.

Last edited:
You don't need a subscription using the sling app. All the ESPN's and a lot of the Fox sports channels.

it wont be long before they crack down on using other accounts, limit multiple sign ins, much like netflix is starting to try and do. they have to or the numbers will continue to go down.

its interesting how many people complain about all the channels they dont watch yet watch all those shows on netflix/hulu or whatever that wouldnt exist if not for those channels.

in 10 years we may get what we want.. 25 channels. 10 sports channels and just some big ones. it will be like tv of the 70's all over again. people want variety they just dont want to pay for it, we want shows we just dont want commercials.

there is a pretty good show on almost every channel and that wouldnt have happened if not for cable, cutting the cord is actually going to hurt the viewing habits for many in the long run. we are a sports board and many just want to watch sports but that still makes us the minority on any given not of whats actually being watched.

upperdeck said:
it wont be long before they crack down on using other accounts, limit multiple sign ins, much like netflix is starting to try and do. they have to or the numbers will continue to go down. its interesting how many people complain about all the channels they dont watch yet watch all those shows on netflix/hulu or whatever that wouldnt exist if not for those channels. in 10 years we may get what we want.. 25 channels. 10 sports channels and just some big ones. it will be like tv of the 70's all over again. people want variety they just dont want to pay for it, we want shows we just dont want commercials. there is a pretty good show on almost every channel and that wouldnt have happened if not for cable, cutting the cord is actually going to hurt the viewing habits for many in the long run. we are a sports board and many just want to watch sports but that still makes us the minority on any given not of whats actually being watched.

I don't think it will be a problem. As long as people will pay for content, content makers will find a way to make a profit.

Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon are all producing a lot of content. YouTube will continue to grow and is like public access on crack.

Lol, no problem. I was being funny with the millenials in the nosebleeds ... and the real number is probably more like 9-10% that have cut the cord. It also says ESPN still has 89M subscribers, and: " .. . predicted steady cable company growth overtime like usual."

You also made another interesting point .. that the signal quality (of streaming) can be as good (or better) than cable TV. Some have reported that when they switch to direct TV, their signal improves EVEN if they're watching the same cable stations.

Maybe if they'd clean up the interruptions and software problems, they could woo more of us cable diehards. One advantage of the streaming is that it's unbundled ... I don't have to pay for 50 crap channels I never watch every month.
It is now a federal crI me to share streaming service logins.

Sharing your Netflix or HBO Go password is now a federal crime

2 things

1) how do they gauge ESPN has lost 7 million subscribers? You can't just subscribe to ESPN so if customers are reducing their packages they're opting out of channels like ESPNU which is not in the standard packages. That also means subscribers are opting out of just more than ESPN; you can include the DIYs and hgtvs as well.

2) if ESPN doesn't include football and basketball nobody is going to sign up

I know that I for one do not even turn ESPN on anymore unless there is a game on that I want to watch. They have become way too pop culture to me and really kind of cheesy. It has become unwatchable really, and I used to absolutely love me some Sportscenter. Additionally, I simply can not take them borderline force-feeding NBA content to their viewers and listeners. Therefore, I absolutely agree with the bolded statement.

I must have the only internet service provider who places monthly data limits! None of this does me any good, with data limits in place. The disadvantage of being in an approved monopoly area.

I haven't tried to use Watch ESPN again so that's a good question. On the other hand, I still have my parents login information for their Time Warner account if all else fails. Vue gives me ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, NBC Sports, CSN New England, and the SEC and BIG networks. I'm only worried about Fox and ABC as they only seem to have their programs on demand and not live.

Buy a digital antenna. Theyre a better picture than hd through cable

Buy a digital antenna. Theyre a better picture than hd through cable
When it's not cutting out. Where I live, I don't know if it's the hills or just weak signals, but it's hit and miss.

it wont be long before they crack down on using other accounts, limit multiple sign ins, much like netflix is starting to try and do. they have to or the numbers will continue to go down.

its interesting how many people complain about all the channels they dont watch yet watch all those shows on netflix/hulu or whatever that wouldnt exist if not for those channels.

in 10 years we may get what we want.. 25 channels. 10 sports channels and just some big ones. it will be like tv of the 70's all over again. people want variety they just dont want to pay for it, we want shows we just dont want commercials.

there is a pretty good show on almost every channel and that wouldnt have happened if not for cable, cutting the cord is actually going to hurt the viewing habits for many in the long run. we are a sports board and many just want to watch sports but that still makes us the minority on any given not of whats actually being watched.

No I think you're wrong. Most cord cutters don't watch a lot tv and therefore can't justify the $200 a month. They're not looking for variety, they're looking to get off the couch and save some money. When they do sit down and watch something the youtubes and netflixes satisfy them.

people should be looking at getting rid of cell phones and the family plans of $2-300 a month first if i had my druthers.

agree but I'd give up the cable and internet first.

Don't tell our new AD
I know that I for one do not even turn ESPN on anymore unless there is a game on that I want to watch. They have become way too pop culture to me and really kind of cheesy. It has become unwatchable really, and I used to absolutely love me some Sportscenter. Additionally, I simply can not take them borderline force-feeding NBA content to their viewers and listeners. Therefore, I absolutely agree with the bolded statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom