A Thought on Dino's Contract | Syracusefan.com

A Thought on Dino's Contract

LeMoyneCuse

All American
We don't officially know in what year Dino's current contract terminates. Our best guess is 2024, so I'm using this as the benchmark.

Let's say Dino's contract runs through 2024. You don't let a coach enter the final year of his contract because it's impossible to recruit that way, so a decision needs to be made on Dino no later than roughly November 25, 2023.

This season, Dino has led Syracuse to bowl eligibility for the second time in his seven year tenure. Additionally, his 2017 team was competitive but ultimately lacked depth. His 2019 team had scheme and talent issues. His 2021 team had numerous misses that arguably came down to coaching. 2016 was forgivable and sometimes fun. 2020, perhaps, can be dismissed because of COVID protocols, a very young squad in several key areas, and serious QB issues.

2022, on the other hand, feels like a team on a solid foundation, with depth in numerous places. There's also indications that success could continue into 2023, given who still has eligibility remaining.

So what should Syracuse do here? If his contract runs through 2024, should Cuse reward Dino, or should they wait and see? This also assumes Dino won't leave for another job, which I personally don't think is a possibility, based on his track records here.

Here's my proposal, again with the assumption that his contract runs through 2024. I say extend him through 2025, structured around a pay raise but a more Cuse-favorable buy out. Then, build in a rolling extension, similar to what Mark Stoops gets at Kentucky. That is, if Dino makes a bowl game, another year automatically adds on to his contract.

If Dino can finally get some consistency going, a structure like that should carry him through until he decides to leave or retire.

Thoughts?

We don't officially know in what year Dino's current contract terminates. Our best guess is 2024, so I'm using this as the benchmark.

Let's say Dino's contract runs through 2024. You don't let a coach enter the final year of his contract because it's impossible to recruit that way, so a decision needs to be made on Dino no later than roughly November 25, 2023.

This season, Dino has led Syracuse to bowl eligibility for the second time in his seven year tenure. Additionally, his 2017 team was competitive but ultimately lacked depth. His 2019 team had scheme and talent issues. His 2021 team had numerous misses that arguably came down to coaching. 2016 was forgivable and sometimes fun. 2020, perhaps, can be dismissed because of COVID protocols, a very young squad in several key areas, and serious QB issues.

2022, on the other hand, feels like a team on a solid foundation, with depth in numerous places. There's also indications that success could continue into 2023, given who still has eligibility remaining.

So what should Syracuse do here? If his contract runs through 2024, should Cuse reward Dino, or should they wait and see? This also assumes Dino won't leave for another job, which I personally don't think is a possibility, based on his track records here.

Here's my proposal, again with the assumption that his contract runs through 2024. I say extend him through 2025, structured around a pay raise but a more Cuse-favorable buy out. Then, build in a rolling extension, similar to what Mark Stoops gets at Kentucky. That is, if Dino makes a bowl game, another year automatically adds on to his contract.

If Dino can finally get some consistency going, a structure like that should carry him through until he decides to leave or retire.

Thoughts?
I would wait until the end of the season, and then, assuming things continue to go well, pursue an extension along the lines you are laying out here. Along with good salary increases for all the assistant coaches and supporting staff.

When you have the right support team, you need to keep it in place.

I would wait until the end of the season, and then, assuming things continue to go well, pursue an extension along the lines you are laying out here. Along with good salary increases for all the assistant coaches and supporting staff.

144% THIS.

It's less about "keeping Dino" -
at his age, and with his checkered results here at Cuse, I doubt he's gonna be any sort of hot commodity on the open market.

We pay him a fair wage, with a reasonable (Cuse-friendly) buyout, and the rolling-extensions for bowl seasons makes a TON of sense.

Need to "lock up" as many of the Assistants as possible.
White & Beck in particular, and of course - Swag Daddy.

(Anae is on the older side, and while I hope we keep him in Orange for several more years, the thinking is that Beck could step in and become OC if Anae were to depart for any reason)

If we finish with 9+ wins this year, I'd be SHOCKED if a contract extension wasn't announced. Not just for recruitings sake, but for the sake of retaining assistants. Would expect some assistant coaches to get some raises as well

Does Wildhack think he can pay his coordinators and assistants to maintain the continuity and culture he cited?

“I think we can and, again, there’s a limit to everything, right?” Wildhack said on ESPN Syracuse. “Do I have the resources that Alabama football has? No. Candidly, am I going to? No. But we’ll be competitive when it comes to the marketplace.”

Please don't joke. Tempe job is still open. Babers, Schmidt, Anae, and Beck en masse?

You're gonna leave poor Lig behind? ST's matter!!
What did he ever do to you??!! :p

Temple doesn't play any D?
White and Swag Daddy have a sadz.

I think Dino has proven that IF he has the right guy at QB that he can win more than our share of games relative to our recruiting level.

Winning will help to incrementally improve recruiting, but let’s get real, year in and year out we are simply not going to out recruit several of our fellow ACC teams.

so, I am good with rewarding Dino and if we can go bowling more years than not, that would be an attainable and reasonable goal for our program.

Handing the def off to White, and the def became good.

With Schmidt, the oline no longer felt like they'd have to coach themselves. When Babers started abandoning Babers/Gilbert/Baylor offense, and started running Schmidt plays, we were able to Run the Ball.

Handing the offense of to Anae, and its the most functional we've seen.

Credit to Dino for realizing he needed to change. Those decisions, and those hires are why Cuse football is Fun this year.

Handing the def off to White, and the def became good.

With Schmidt, the oline no longer felt like they'd have to coach themselves. When Babers started abandoning Babers/Gilbert/Baylor offense, and started running Schmidt plays, we were able to Run the Ball.

Handing the offense of to Anae, and its the most functional we've seen.

Credit to Dino for realizing he needed to change. Those decisions, and those hires are why Cuse football is Fun this year.

Don’t forget the decision to hire Ligs to coordinate the special teams.

Last year the specials teams, who were coached by committee, were a disaster.

Our special teams play has improved significantly.

Agree 100%

And showing ADJW that we can and will pack the dome during a good season, for this staff and this program, it should give him the bargaining power needed to get all these assistants collectively another million $ or so to spread around and keep them here and happy a few years longer than we would otherwise.

(PS, It‘s amazing how many people ignore or dont realize we lost our prior amazing ST coach (Lustig) because we were outbid, just as we had to increase the payout for our new DC… pretty conspicuous timing. It’s not some revelation that Dino thinks he needs a ST coach, since he already had one for 3 years here, its whether he can afford one given what he has to pay for his DC and now OC/QB coaches too)

I think Dino has proven that IF he has the right guy at QB that he can win more than our share of games relative to our recruiting level.

Winning will help to incrementally improve recruiting, but let’s get real, year in and year out we are simply not going to out recruit several of our fellow ACC teams.

so, I am good with rewarding Dino and if we can go bowling more years than not, that would be an attainable and reasonable goal for our program.

I think we can get our recruiting on par with someone like Pitt. The way we are cranking out star LBs and DBs I don't need to bring in guys with an extra star. NC State doesn't recruit that much better as is.

Backup QB should be strong with CDRW, Lamson, Sellers all in the mix. No backup QB and always have 1 or none P5 caliber WRs hopefully will end with this strong season we are having. How many years in a row has it been that there was noone behind our star WR or starting QB?

Dino got his big time extension after 2018 I think we just need to bump him out a couple years. Seeing the Coastal programs regularly is going to be a nice change.

Its also nice we have no bad out of conference games on the docket great job by the AD not making us play tough opponents where there is little upside if we win. I'd be willing to schedule Uconn annually and even make up a trophy and call it a rivalry to get an extra scrimmage in early.

According to my guy in Charlottesville who is pretty tapped into the UVA culture pre, during, and post-Bronco - he claims SU should be more concerned about losing Beck wherever Bronco ends up. Said Anae was pretty livid with how things went down and C-Ville made it known to Bronco in a staff meeting, that he shouldn't have sold the rest of them down the river because he wanted to keep the DC.

Said the way that everything degraded at the end of that season, Anae wouldn't work with Bronco again (in his estimation) but didn't know if the bridge was burned with Beck. He felt like it wasn't and if Beck was offered the OC by Bronco wherever he ends up, Beck would definitely listen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom