A thought on the back court next year. | Syracusefan.com

A thought on the back court next year.

cuseincincy

All Conference
It has never been more obvious than this year that our starting back court will be Frank and Tyus. But what about Carey? Admittedly I've been watching some film and reading various scouting reports but this kid may need to play. The film doesn't show a lot of dishing but plenty of driving penetration. He's a scorer which despite all of our returnees we must acknowledge that scoring was one of our weaknesses last year. Sometimes a guard will come in and just fit. Could we see some 3 guard or even a lot of 3 guard lineups? I don;t think either Frank or Tyus would mind giving a up a little ball handling responsibility as long as they stay on the court. Defensively either could slide down against most teams as long as Oshae and one of the other 3 tall guys was in. I read in one article that he wants to wear #"0" because he thinks that is how many guys will be able to guard him! I initially thought Carey's minutes might be limited with Tyus's return but maybe not. Fewer obviously but I think he ends up with 15-20 (as long as he can also play defense of course).

JC will get opportunities. But assuming a healthy season for Frank, it's hard to imagine JC averaging more than 12 mins a game.

JC may wear #0 because that many people can guard him, but JB will be happy to play him #0 minutes if he's not better than Frank.

Due to the 2-3 I'm not a believer that we see 3 guard lineups. I know people point to the few times when it happens, but it's a desperation play, not really part of the strategy. It gives up too much on the defensive end and rebounding for JB's tastes.

Frank isn't going to have that unlimited leash he had last year where he could pile up 4 turnovers in 5 mins and play though it. He's going to be sitting next to JB getting an earful and hopefully he's mature enough at this point to take it the right way and not crumble.

Yep, Frank's leash will still be long but not unlimited due to us having zero other options. We won't see all three of them out there unless we're playing Duke and they have a 6'6 center.

JC will get some minutes. Dion lite minutes

Frank isn't going to have that unlimited leash he had last year where he could pile up 4 turnovers in 5 mins and play though it. He's going to be sitting next to JB getting an earful and hopefully he's mature enough at this point to take it the right way and not crumble.

Did you know that after averaging about 4.4 turnovers per game the first half of the season he averaged 2.5 the second half, including post season, and was 2.0 during the NCAA run? Improvement. And the numbers would be less if he wasn't playing pretty much 40mpg.

I think it all depends how frank is playing

I’m bullish on it all this year - especially better shooting from Howard and battle - without so many low quality shots due to a bad offense. But it will be worth watching how Howard handles the quick hook that will come from time to time after lackluster or poor play now that there is viable option on the bench.

I’m bullish on it all this year - especially better shooting from Howard and battle - without so many low quality shots due to a bad offense. But it will be worth watching how Howard handles the quick hook that will come from time to time after lackluster or poor play now that there is viable option on the bench.

Do you think other players will get a quicker hook too now that we have viable options on the bench like Hughes and Carey?

I initially thought Carey's minutes might be limited with Tyus's return but maybe not. Fewer obviously but I think he ends up with 15-20 (as long as he can also play defense of course).
You mention defense at the end here, but I think Carey's defensive ability will be a far greater determinant of his PT than his offensive skills (unless of course he is another Trae Young). If he shows that he can be a turnover-forcing terror on the defensive end, then he will definitely be a key part of the rotation, ala Dion Waiters. Same is true for Buddy Boeheim.

If this team can put four guards (with offensive skills) on the floor who are all able to turn the top of the zone into a nightmare of frustration for opposing teams then this will be a special year indeed, and a second National Championship will be a very real possibility...

Do you think other players will get a quicker hook too now that we have viable options on the bench like Hughes and Carey?
You mention defense at the end here, but I think Carey's defensive ability will be a far greater determinant of his PT than his offensive skills (unless of course he is another Trae Young). If he shows that he can be a turnover-forcing terror on the defensive end, then he will definitely be a key part of the rotation, ala Dion Waiters. Same is true for Buddy Boeheim.

If this team can put four guards (with offensive skills) on the floor who are all able to turn the top of the zone into a nightmare of frustration for opposing teams then this will be a special year indeed, and a second National Championship will be a very real possibility...

Not sure I'd go that far but hey why not?

Did you know that after averaging about 4.4 turnovers per game the first half of the season he averaged 2.5 the second half, including post season, and was 2.0 during the NCAA run? Improvement. And the numbers would be less if he wasn't playing pretty much 40mpg.

Still had 18 games with 4+ which is more than a coin flip of the season. Hopefully at something in the range of 30-32mpg this year he can get to a 5/2 ast/to range. Gotta hope for that from an experienced senior.

Scoop played 32 minutes and Triche played 29 mpg in 10-11 when Dion was a freshman. Dion played 16 minutes. You guys are nuts if you think Carey gets more than that.
Not sure why you think any of us are nuts. I said 15-20, Bees said 15, and OrangeYaGlad said 12 yet you think we're nuts when you say no more than 16? It's not yer grammar that needs help. :cool:

If we are complaining about his lack of minutes in the winter that should mean someone else is playing really well!

I think the duo will hover around 34mins per game..hoping a little lower but around there and JC will pick up the rest

This. I think Frank has it in him to have a great year but he does not have an explosive first step nor is he really strong or fast finishing and does better with the floater. Carey's game shows a lot of things that Frank doesn't have. Now that all depends on what happens when they hit the court but I very much agree.

Not sure why you think any of us are nuts. I said 15-20, Bees said 15, and OrangeYaGlad said 12 yet you think we're nuts when you say no more than 16? It's not yer grammar that needs help. :cool:

If we are complaining about his lack of minutes in the winter that should mean someone else is playing really well!

Lol. Nuts may be harsh. I actually think there’s a chance Carey ends up being the 8th man. Hughes/Sidibe may both log more minutes due to being in the system and being more mature.

But Bees, his name is Frank and that's all some people care to know. Don't confuse them with facts.

One would think as it’s been a tool in the tool box. Flip side is this is an experienced and pretty high IQ group so maybe my concern is overstated.

Still had 18 games with 4+ which is more than a coin flip of the season. Hopefully at something in the range of 30-32mpg this year he can get to a 5/2 ast/to range. Gotta hope for that from an experienced senior.

most were in the 1st half of the season. my point was he got better as the season went on. the numbers say so.

I don't think of myself as a Frank hater but I am far from a Frank believer. I will admit that he had some shining moments last year but I also don't believe he is our answer at point and makes too many mental mistakes. His lack of assists is problematic in my view and we have some solid scores on OB, MD and Tyus. In my opinion Franks needs to average 5 assists a game with fewer than 2 turnovers and also average 14 points a game for me to be a believer. I agree with some posts that Carey's D will get him minutes if he is good at it.

I don't think of myself as a Frank hater but I am far from a Frank believer. I will admit that he had some shining moments last year but I also don't believe he is our answer at point and makes too many mental mistakes. His lack of assists is problematic in my view and we have some solid scores on OB, MD and Tyus. In my opinion Franks needs to average 5 assists a game with fewer than 2 turnovers and also average 14 points a game for me to be a believer. I agree with some posts that Carey's D will get him minutes if he is good at it.

people need to put the ball in the basket for the passer to get an assist. its why jb went to an iso offense. we couldn't put the ball in the basket enough. even at that he was close to what you want with pts and assts. 14.4 and 4.7. less than 2 turnovers per game isnt happening. its an unreasonable expectation. its rare for any pg to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom