Aaron Hernandez Netflix Documentary

samspann1

Hall of Fame
Not sure if this should on the "Other Sports" board, so if the mods feel it's more appropriate there, feel free to move.

I watched one of the three episodes, and I have to admit, it was pretty riveting.

Some thoughts:

Both of his parents were messed up. That said, getting away from home and his poor family influences clearly didn't help Hernandez.

His aunt, with whom he was close, was a train wreck too. I don't know why she thought allowing a 16/17 year old to smoke and drink, or subjecting him to criminal influences, was a good idea.

Pats fans...eek. Listening to them chant "Innocent!" as the van carrying Hernandez was entering the courthouse, was cringeworthy, as was the fan who complained that, it "sucked" that even though his last name was Hernandez he could no longer wear the #81 jersey. Also, "Hernandezing"? Really?

The QB's dad was just weird. Not sure why he was given such a wide platform.

Hernandez's fiancee seemed like a b. Listening to the way she talked to him in the jailhouse calls was just sad.

Forgot about this, but Joe Judge was Hernandez's next door neighbor, huh? Interesting...

Also interesting that although a few former Patriots were interviewed for the documentary (Wiggins, O'Callaghan and Bodden), no current Pats were interviewed. And the media footage of interviews of players at the time of the arrest made it clear that the players were told to say nothing of substance.

samspann1

Hall of Fame
Any attempts to humanize Hernandez failed with me, as he was incredibly dumb - e.g. renting a car used in the commission of a homicide IN HIS OWN NAME, and leaving spent gun shells in said car; erasing some of his home security video footage, but not the footage that shows him returning to his home after the Lloyd shooting (late at night), or walking around the house with a gun following the shooting

Newhouser

All Conference
Any attempts to humanize Hernandez failed with me, as he was incredibly dumb - e.g. renting a car used in the commission of a homicide IN HIS OWN NAME, and leaving spent gun shells in said car; erasing some of his home security video footage, but not the footage that shows him returning to his home after the Lloyd shooting (late at night), or walking around the house with a gun following the shooting
He wanted to get caught.

RF2044

Living Legend
Not sure if this should on the "Other Sports" board, so if the mods feel it's more appropriate there, feel free to move.

I watched one of the three episodes, and I have to admit, it was pretty riveting.

Some thoughts:

Both of his parents were messed up. That said, getting away from home and his poor family influences clearly didn't help Hernandez.

His aunt, with whom he was close, was a train wreck too. I don't know why she thought allowing a 16/17 year old to smoke and drink, or subjecting him to criminal influences, was a good idea.

Pats fans...eek. Listening to them chant "Innocent!" as the van carrying Hernandez was entering the courthouse, was cringeworthy, as was the fan who complained that, it "sucked" that even though his last name was Hernandez he could no longer wear the #81 jersey. Also, "Hernandezing"? Really?

The QB's dad was just weird. Not sure why he was given such a wide platform.

Hernandez's fiancee seemed like a b. Listening to the way she talked to him in the jailhouse calls was just sad.

Forgot about this, but Joe Judge was Hernandez's next door neighbor, huh? Interesting...

Also interesting that although a few former Patriots were interviewed for the documentary (Wiggins, O'Callaghan and Bodden), no current Pats were interviewed. And the media footage of interviews of players at the time of the arrest made it clear that the players were told to say nothing of substance.
SI had a multi-part article about this last year. Very interesting read.

One quibble is that I think that getting away did help -- the problem was, he came right back to New England, where his street pals weren't that far away in connecticut. Had he gone to any other NFL market -- who knows?

He sounds like he was a nut, even back in high school. And his conduct at Florida was also off the wall -- so maybe you're right. But getting drafted by New England in retrospect was the worst possible thing that could have happened to him.

Eric15

Living Legend
I just finished the documentary and thought it was excellent. He committed horrible crimes and deserved to die in prison for them, but I understand how the circumstances in his life (s e xually molested at age 6, constantly stressed of people discovering his s e xuality, losing his father at a young age, and then having the worst case of CTE that brain expert had ever seen on a young person) could be a perfect storm of utter horribleness.

OburgOrange

Hall of Fame
Watched the first episode last night. Not sure it’s worth continuing. Lots of people are handicapped with their circumstances but don’t resort to what he did.
I kind of felt as though the series was trying to be sympathetic to him and his circumstances. I’m sorry, but no

Ghost

Living Legend
I watched two episodes on a train today and it seems like they've packed 18 minutes of riveting information into two hours thus far.

Why do we keep going back to the "beard" guy that played for the Pats - I mean, he says the same thing EVERY SINGLE TIME just packaged slightly different. And so do most of these people. Who edited this? Did they cut a minute of material out? If this goes past a 3rd episode I'm going to be mad.

Some of the information is good - but it seems REALLY drawn out so far.

CuseFaninVT

Living Legend
I watched two episodes on a train today and it seems like they've packed 18 minutes of riveting information into two hours thus far.

Why do we keep going back to the "beard" guy that played for the Pats - I mean, he says the same thing EVERY SINGLE TIME just packaged slightly different. And so do most of these people. Who edited this? Did they cut a minute of material out? If this goes past a 3rd episode I'm going to be mad.

Some of the information is good - but it seems REALLY drawn out so far.
Every podcast and every multi episode docu feels the same way. Get to it for the love of god!

i hate apple products. I literally typed out documentary a couple times, and it went with docu

Last edited:

Ghost

Living Legend
Every podcast and every multi episode docu feels the same way. Get to it for the love of god!

i hate apple products. I literally typed out documentary a couple times, and it went with docu
Apple does suck!!!

Anyway, just finished up the documentary. It was fine, like an A&E 1 hour killer show, packed into 3 or 4 hours with no commercials.

I wish they played up the angle more about the massive failings at every level to reel this kid in. University of Florida, the New England Patriots, etc...he was clearly exhibiting massive warning signs, but it's hard to know how he presented them to people.

He asked the Patriots for a trade to get away from his hometown...Belichick said NO DICE, because...money.

I wish you could see more into what goes into that, did Belichick actually have any reason to think it was anything more than a kid just being spoiled a bit? He may not have. He may have thought his disciplined approach was helping him (like an Antonio Brown with the Steelers, going completely unhinged when he left)...but it's just sort of thrown out there as if Belichick didn't care beyond what he could do for the franchise.

I hate the Pats btw...so this isn't defending him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom