Aaron Hernandez Netflix Documentary | Syracusefan.com

Aaron Hernandez Netflix Documentary

samspann1

Living Legend
Not sure if this should on the "Other Sports" board, so if the mods feel it's more appropriate there, feel free to move.

I watched one of the three episodes, and I have to admit, it was pretty riveting.

Some thoughts:

Both of his parents were messed up. That said, getting away from home and his poor family influences clearly didn't help Hernandez.

His aunt, with whom he was close, was a train wreck too. I don't know why she thought allowing a 16/17 year old to smoke and drink, or subjecting him to criminal influences, was a good idea.

Pats fans...eek. Listening to them chant "Innocent!" as the van carrying Hernandez was entering the courthouse, was cringeworthy, as was the fan who complained that, it "sucked" that even though his last name was Hernandez he could no longer wear the #81 jersey. Also, "Hernandezing"? Really?

The QB's dad was just weird. Not sure why he was given such a wide platform.

Hernandez's fiancee seemed like a b. Listening to the way she talked to him in the jailhouse calls was just sad.

Forgot about this, but Joe Judge was Hernandez's next door neighbor, huh? Interesting...

Also interesting that although a few former Patriots were interviewed for the documentary (Wiggins, O'Callaghan and Bodden), no current Pats were interviewed. And the media footage of interviews of players at the time of the arrest made it clear that the players were told to say nothing of substance.

Any attempts to humanize Hernandez failed with me, as he was incredibly dumb - e.g. renting a car used in the commission of a homicide IN HIS OWN NAME, and leaving spent gun shells in said car; erasing some of his home security video footage, but not the footage that shows him returning to his home after the Lloyd shooting (late at night), or walking around the house with a gun following the shooting

Any attempts to humanize Hernandez failed with me, as he was incredibly dumb - e.g. renting a car used in the commission of a homicide IN HIS OWN NAME, and leaving spent gun shells in said car; erasing some of his home security video footage, but not the footage that shows him returning to his home after the Lloyd shooting (late at night), or walking around the house with a gun following the shooting
He wanted to get caught.

Not sure if this should on the "Other Sports" board, so if the mods feel it's more appropriate there, feel free to move.

I watched one of the three episodes, and I have to admit, it was pretty riveting.

Some thoughts:

Both of his parents were messed up. That said, getting away from home and his poor family influences clearly didn't help Hernandez.

His aunt, with whom he was close, was a train wreck too. I don't know why she thought allowing a 16/17 year old to smoke and drink, or subjecting him to criminal influences, was a good idea.

Pats fans...eek. Listening to them chant "Innocent!" as the van carrying Hernandez was entering the courthouse, was cringeworthy, as was the fan who complained that, it "sucked" that even though his last name was Hernandez he could no longer wear the #81 jersey. Also, "Hernandezing"? Really?

The QB's dad was just weird. Not sure why he was given such a wide platform.

Hernandez's fiancee seemed like a b. Listening to the way she talked to him in the jailhouse calls was just sad.

Forgot about this, but Joe Judge was Hernandez's next door neighbor, huh? Interesting...

Also interesting that although a few former Patriots were interviewed for the documentary (Wiggins, O'Callaghan and Bodden), no current Pats were interviewed. And the media footage of interviews of players at the time of the arrest made it clear that the players were told to say nothing of substance.

SI had a multi-part article about this last year. Very interesting read.

One quibble is that I think that getting away did help -- the problem was, he came right back to New England, where his street pals weren't that far away in connecticut. Had he gone to any other NFL market -- who knows?

He sounds like he was a nut, even back in high school. And his conduct at Florida was also off the wall -- so maybe you're right. But getting drafted by New England in retrospect was the worst possible thing that could have happened to him.

I just finished the documentary and thought it was excellent. He committed horrible crimes and deserved to die in prison for them, but I understand how the circumstances in his life (sexually molested at age 6, constantly stressed of people discovering his sexuality, losing his father at a young age, and then having the worst case of CTE that brain expert had ever seen on a young person) could be a perfect storm of utter horribleness.

I watched two episodes on a train today and it seems like they've packed 18 minutes of riveting information into two hours thus far.

Why do we keep going back to the "beard" guy that played for the Pats - I mean, he says the same thing EVERY SINGLE TIME just packaged slightly different. And so do most of these people. Who edited this? Did they cut a minute of material out? If this goes past a 3rd episode I'm going to be mad.

Some of the information is good - but it seems REALLY drawn out so far.

I watched two episodes on a train today and it seems like they've packed 18 minutes of riveting information into two hours thus far.

Why do we keep going back to the "beard" guy that played for the Pats - I mean, he says the same thing EVERY SINGLE TIME just packaged slightly different. And so do most of these people. Who edited this? Did they cut a minute of material out? If this goes past a 3rd episode I'm going to be mad.

Some of the information is good - but it seems REALLY drawn out so far.
Every podcast and every multi episode docu feels the same way. Get to it for the love of god!

i hate apple products. I literally typed out documentary a couple times, and it went with docu

Last edited:
Every podcast and every multi episode docu feels the same way. Get to it for the love of god!

i hate apple products. I literally typed out documentary a couple times, and it went with docu

Apple does suck!!!

Anyway, just finished up the documentary. It was fine, like an A&E 1 hour killer show, packed into 3 or 4 hours with no commercials.

I wish they played up the angle more about the massive failings at every level to reel this kid in. University of Florida, the New England Patriots, etc...he was clearly exhibiting massive warning signs, but it's hard to know how he presented them to people.

He asked the Patriots for a trade to get away from his hometown...Belichick said NO DICE, because...money.

I wish you could see more into what goes into that, did Belichick actually have any reason to think it was anything more than a kid just being spoiled a bit? He may not have. He may have thought his disciplined approach was helping him (like an Antonio Brown with the Steelers, going completely unhinged when he left)...but it's just sort of thrown out there as if Belichick didn't care beyond what he could do for the franchise.

I hate the Pats btw...so this isn't defending him.

Saw all three parts. I didn’t know anything about it before and don’t really feel like I know much more now. It seemed very speculative. There seemed to be no reason to think he was gay aside from one guy saying he was his HS lover (or more correctly that they “experimented”). There was also no reason to think him being gay or not made any difference at all so I don’t understand the point of that entire thread.

I also don’t recall anyone ever saying what the motive was for killing that dude. The two guys shot in the car thing honestly, based on what they presented seemed like the DA looking for any possible patsy to pin an unsolved crime on, and he partially picked Hernandez because he was purportedly gay (I’m sure some will say I got that wrong but that’s how I saw it).

it looked like there is some really interesting stuff to talk about in this story but they didn’t really talk about much of it. For instance the incident of his buddy being shot in Florida. What was going on there? Clearly a whole heck of a lot more than they presented.

It was ok in the end but not as good as most run of the mill episodes of Snapped.

Finished it last night too. They really try to get you to feel some compassion for him but it still doesn't work when it's regarding a 0 feeling murderous lunatic. Dad was basically a drill sergeant which seemed to keep him in line, mom was a piece of garbage for stealing a family members husband after dad dies. Cousin who got her husband stolen then turns into mom and is about the worst influence possible on him. Fakeass Urban Meyer probably had a chance to change things by taking football away from him as he morphed into the monster while in Gainesville but he was running the 2010s version of The U with wins and arrests piling up at record levels. The CTE stuff at the end seemed to make my wife feel a little bad for him but I'm glad he got what he deserved in the end and doesn't get to breath the same air the rest of us do.

Finished it last night too. They really try to get you to feel some compassion for him but it still doesn't work when it's regarding a 0 feeling murderous lunatic. Dad was basically a drill sergeant which seemed to keep him in line, mom was a piece of garbage for stealing a family members husband after dad dies. Cousin who got her husband stolen then turns into mom and is about the worst influence possible on him. Fakeass Urban Meyer probably had a chance to change things by taking football away from him as he morphed into the monster while in Gainesville but he was running the 2010s version of The U with wins and arrests piling up at record levels. The CTE stuff at the end seemed to make my wife feel a little bad for him but I'm glad he got what he deserved in the end and doesn't get to breath the same air the rest of us do.

really.gif

Short and concise summary of my 3 hours watching it lol.
Yep. Do I feel a little bad the kid/guy had no chance from the jump for normalcy due to the usual sad sack circumstances from all the losers in his life? Yep. Just the way I feel about all the other miscreants out there who are Frig ups. He/They probably had one or two shots to get beyond it all with better choices but he/they didnt/don't. Sad but true reality.

Saw all three parts. I didn’t know anything about it before and don’t really feel like I know much more now. It seemed very speculative. There seemed to be no reason to think he was gay aside from one guy saying he was his HS lover (or more correctly that they “experimented”). There was also no reason to think him being gay or not made any difference at all so I don’t understand the point of that entire thread.

I also don’t recall anyone ever saying what the motive was for killing that dude. The two guys shot in the car thing honestly, based on what they presented seemed like the DA looking for any possible patsy to pin an unsolved crime on, and he partially picked Hernandez because he was purportedly gay (I’m sure some will say I got that wrong but that’s how I saw it).

it looked like there is some really interesting stuff to talk about in this story but they didn’t really talk about much of it. For instance the incident of his buddy being shot in Florida. What was going on there? Clearly a whole heck of a lot more than they presented.

It was ok in the end but not as good as most run of the mill episodes of Snapped.

Kinda where I am. Lot's of questions, no answers. And never got to deep into any single aspect of his life - gay stuff; relationship with Lloyd; issues at U of F; his devolution back in New England; jail/prison. Too superficial.

Kinda where I am. Lot's of questions, no answers. And never got to deep into any single aspect of his life - gay stuff; relationship with Lloyd; issues at U of F; his devolution back in New England; jail/prison. Too superficial.
That settles it for me. Not watching the remaining two

Yeah, they really don't as much with the Lloyd relationship as you would expect.

Yeah, they really don't as much with the Lloyd relationship as you would expect.
Imagine it was tough to get much into it when 2 of the 4 with details are dead and the other 2 not likely to share anything. Basically ended up with his 1 friend just saying Lloyd rolled blunts for him and they played video games.

Imagine it was tough to get much into it when 2 of the 4 with details are dead and the other 2 not likely to share anything. Basically ended up with his 1 friend just saying Lloyd rolled blunts for him and they played video games.

I did like the one dude that seemed to be friend's with Lloyd, I think it may have been Troy Polamulu? Although I do believe he was using a fake name.

I did like the one dude that seemed to be friend's with Lloyd, I think it may have been Troy Polamulu? Although I do believe he was using a fake name.
That dude was easily the most likable guy in the whole damn thing besides Gronk of course. Most interesting person was his baby mama. She was just holding on and dealing with it waiting for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Kid was toast from childhood. No adults with any real power did anything to steer him straight.

With that said, you still have to be accountable for being a wretched human being. And if they know of a handful of murders and assaults, I'm sure there are more that aren't documented.

My biggest takeaway didn't have anything to do with Hernandez (molestation, abuse, drugs, CTE all weren't surprising), but with Meyer and the Pats org as a whole.

Meyer gets a pass somehow for those Florida teams that would make the late 80s Miami Hurricanes look good. The storytelling and overall length of the series could have used better editing, but otherwise I thought it was interesting.

The “Bob Ross” clip was just as (unintentionally) funny

I honestly don't understand why exactly he is even in it other than to sort of be a voice for Aaron's dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom