ACC: 72 team NCAA (E & W 1st 4) & other changes | Syracusefan.com

ACC: 72 team NCAA (E & W 1st 4) & other changes

Of course all the coaches favor expanding the field it helps more of them get in which is important to their job security. I'm fine with going to a First 8 but no further. Let's face it, before we became an annual bubble team we wouldn't care at all about this.

I would much rather cut down the field back to 64 than expand it to 72. I've never once watched the tournament and thought to myself "man, this thing sure could use more 18-13 teams to be more exciting."

(yes I know it helped us last year, but I'm thinking big picture)

This kinda feels like a Participation Trophy kind of movement.
But, as mentioned in the article, it's really just '1%' more teams from the overall field. Not going to change the tournament in any profound manner, but in ten years, there will be another rationale to add even more... I'd rather have it at 64 and be done with it.

If 70 football teams can go bowling, 72 can join the ‘tourny’.

Syracuse is most definitely NOT a bubble team, this doesn’t impact us, but it’s good for the tourny and good for tv.

There’s nothing wrong with staggering games opposite each other on Tuesday and Wednesday like we see Thursday through Sunday.

Will it actually make that much more money? Does anyone watch those games they don't have a stake in the outcome? They're not even in any brackets

Will it actually make that much more money? Does anyone watch those games they don't have a stake in the outcome? They're not even in any brackets
Basically you might eliminate the NIT and make all teams relevant. Win and advance. Dollar and a dream.

If 70 football teams can go bowling, 72 can join the ‘tourny’.

You’re saying we should want to emulate a system that features such events as a “Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl” and “Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl?”

I’m not opposed specifically to 72 , but where does it end? I’m two years , they’ll want to figure out another way to expand it again. Just keep it the way it is.

You’re saying we should want to emulate a system that features such events as a “Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl” and “Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl?”
Yes.

If u don’t want to watch, find another channel.

It’s also 2 more game to bet...

If you keep adding to the ncaat, how relevant is the nit.
That's a good point - I don't feel it's too relevant now. I feel like it's a tournament for fans of the teams that didn't make the NCAAs. Those will still exist if 4 teams get added to the dance.

Personally I think the NIT should be for Mid Majors who win their regular season and lose their conference tournament or the runners up in the conference tournament.
The regular season one-bid conference winners who lose in their tournament do get an automatic bid to the NIT now.

I would prefer they go back to 64 but it doesn't greatly bother me at 72. I would like the regular season and the standard to get get a little higher but so be it. I would also be concerned that this would just turn into 4 additional P5+BE schools getting in each year. That being said those teams would not be awful.

I think 96 is where I would throw up my arms and say this is too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom