ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney | Syracusefan.com

ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney

Being able to play at MSG is many many years away.

Great news! No one will confuse Barclays with MSG, but it's a start. And once the ACC sucks what little excitement there is left for the BET, MSG will see that a 5 day tournament featuring the biggest programs in college basketball, many with national fan bases, beats the mid major they're in bed with.

This is actually very interesting. All we've been hearing about is how MSG had an attendance clause and/or some other out of the BE contract. Now, from Thamel's article above:

The ACC has no chance to move to Madison Square Garden in the immediate future, as MSG has a deal signed with the Big East through 2026. Multiple sources described that contract as "air tight." A source with direct knowledge of the contract said that Joseph M. Leccese, the Big East's lawyer with prominent firm Proskauer Rose, spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that MSG couldn't get out of the deal with the Big East.

This is actually very interesting. All we've been hearing about is how MSG had an attendance clause and/or some other out of the BE contract. Now, from Thamel's article above:

The ACC has no chance to move to Madison Square Garden in the immediate future, as MSG has a deal signed with the Big East through 2026. Multiple sources described that contract as "air tight." A source with direct knowledge of the contract said that Joseph M. Leccese, the Big East's lawyer with prominent firm Proskauer Rose, spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that MSG couldn't get out of the deal with the Big East.

The lawyer who negotiated and drafted the deal for the BE is touting how great a lawyer he is in a national publication. Perhaps he's right, but maybe MSG would still honor the contract by playing the BET the week before and ending on a Monday then having the ACC come in the next day.

It's too bad that this lawyer didn't find a way to make the Big East "air tight" when Miami, BC and VT were there. I can not stress to you people on how happy I am that Syracuse is no longer in that conference.

The lawyer who negotiated and drafted the deal for the BE is touting how great a lawyer he is in a national publication. Perhaps he's right, but maybe MSG would still honor the contract by playing the BET the week before and ending on a Monday then having the ACC come in the next day.

umm... how long of a road trip are the Knicks going to be taking at the same time every year?

umm... how long of a road trip are the Knicks going to be taking at the same time every year?

BE semis should be Sunday afternoon and Knicks could play at night. It isn't that complicated.

...and now it becomes obvious why the MSG discussions continue...MSG Vs. Barclay's...either way its terrific for the ACC which is determined to play in a NYC arena...and to give the B1G no quarter. Either way, it is a location that will bring many fans to The ACC Tournament. As indicated in another thread...ACC bball is the Hunted not the Hunter in this regard--NYC wants the ACC!!!

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

orange79 said:
This is actually very interesting. All we've been hearing about is how MSG had an attendance clause and/or some other out of the BE contract. Now, from Thamel's article above: The ACC has no chance to move to Madison Square Garden in the immediate future, as MSG has a deal signed with the Big East through 2026. Multiple sources described that contract as "air tight." A source with direct knowledge of the contract said that Joseph M. Leccese, the Big East's lawyer with prominent firm Proskauer Rose, spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that MSG couldn't get out of the deal with the Big East.

If that is true, which IMO all contracts are made to be broken, the ACCT won't be in MSG for at least 13 years. Ugh. Where are the people who said we were working towards a deal with MSG? Brooklyn is better than Greensboro but it's not close to MSG.

Brooklyn is fine. I really think they should alternate between Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Brooklyn and or Boston.

The Big east tournament hasn't been great in 15-20 years. I don't see the draw to even playing starters in the tournament unless you are on the bubble. Some coach soon is going to go Popovich in the conference tournament. Bob Knight was the only guy left with that type of sack and that is done.

JB should play all the walk ons tonight, would suck for fans but as soon as they get into game 3 this weekend we will only hear about possible fatigue next week...

Last edited:
They should change the 4, 5, 6 "green line" to the "Orange line" for the week. Sorry, B, D, F, M.

If that is true, which IMO all contracts are made to be broken, the ACCT won't be in MSG for at least 13 years. Ugh. Where are the people who said we were working towards a deal with MSG? Brooklyn is better than Greensboro but it's not close to MSG.

To be fair Bees, have you even been to the Barclays Center? Its really, really nice. And about an 8 minute ride on the 2/3 from lower Manhattan. Its not the Garden, but what is?

Simply another move by the ACC to kill off the BET further attendance wise. Where do you think the focal point of NYC media will be when its a Duke-Syracuse semi vs a Xavier-Creighton semi?

Brooklyn is fine. I really think they should alternate between Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Brooklyn and or Boston.

The Big east tournament hasn't been great in 15-20 years. I don't see the draw to even playing starters in the tournament unless you are on the bubble. Some coach soon is going to go Popovich in the conference tournament. Bob Knight was the only guy left with that type of sack and that is done.

JB should play all the walk ons tonight, would suck for fans but as soon as they get into game 3 this weekend we will only hear about possible fatigue next week...
Are you serious? Hasn't been relevant in 15-20 years? Tell that to Gerry Mac in 2006, Jonny Flynn in 2009 or James Sutherland last year. EVERY game counts. This is another championship to win. I want it period. I'll worry about the ncaa's next week.

...and now it becomes obvious why the MSG discussions continue...MSG Vs. Barclay's...either way its terrific for the ACC which is determined to play in a NYC arena...and to give the B1G no quarter. Either way, it is a location that will bring many fans to The ACC Tournament. As indicated in another thread...ACC bball is the Hunted not the Hunter in this regard--NYC wants the ACC!!!

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

The statement that is most telling about support for this move, in my opinion, is not Coach K, New Jersey University at Durham, would not carry as much weight as Roy Williams touting this move. Throw in Cow College's coach and Wake's coach and the traditionalist will follow suit. They may not like it but they will go along.

Additionally, I really don't know if there will be too much of a backlash among the old timers when you consider the roots that UNC have in the NYC area. There has always been a pipeline to NYC going back to Coach McGuire. Dean mined NYC for a lot of talented players; so, when you consider our recruiting roots playing the tourney in NYC is a no brain er. I feel sorry for some of the programs that recruit there. With the ACC tourney coming to town, there will be a ton of ACC schools gaining a recruiting foothold that normally wouldn't. Aside from Cuse, Duke, UofL and UNC, GaTech could possibly get back on track with their past NYC recruiting ground (Anderson, Starberry, etc). Wake, BC, FSU, everyone could all gain a recruiting advantage.

I like the Barclay's Center if only because there's a good chance I can get luxury box access.

And the joint is verry verry nice.

Are you serious? Hasn't been relevant in 15-20 years? Tell that to Gerry Mac in 2006, Jonny Flynn in 2009 or James Sutherland last year. EVERY game counts. This is another championship to win. I want it period. I'll worry about the ncaa's next week.

3 years out of 20... Like I said, it isn't what it use to be and again, we were on the bubble in 2006 for sure. All the reason to play. And yes I am dead serious, there is a lot of good that can come from losing to NC St tonight, IMO. It's clear that without Grant we aren't going anywhere, what if he tweaks his back tomorrow night? Like I said, it's a Popovich type of outlook and last I checked he knew a thing or two about winning and coaching.

Combine both tournaments into the same event! Holy moly that would be cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom