ACC coaching jobs, ranked by... | Syracusefan.com

ACC coaching jobs, ranked by...

I'm surprised at the facilities ranking of 7 - especially with Duke being ranked as the 3rd best facility. I can understand Duke's high ranking for game atmosphere but a unique facility that comes in 1st or 2nd in attendance nationally like SU I don't think as a middling facility in the ACC.

I'm surprised at the facilities ranking of 7 - especially with Duke being ranked as the 3rd best facility. I can understand Duke's high ranking for game atmosphere but a unique facility that comes in 1st or 2nd in attendance nationally like SU I don't think as a middling facility in the ACC.

Right. One would think Melo Center is tied into the ‘facilities’ as well making that ranking even more suspect.

How did the coaches come up with 7 for our facilities rank?

And yet rank Duke, playing in the dump they play in, 3rd?

This should be sent to every guy that we are recruiting who is also considering BC (JGIII), Pitt (Akokx2) or Miami.

I’m surprised Louisville is second and UNC third.

The Yum is fantastic and those crooks revamped all sorts of facilities on campus a few years ago to where it’s all pretty posh and sweet.

How did the coaches come up with 7 for our facilities rank?

The article says: "Facilities – Not just the arena, but also practice facilities, weight room, locker rooms, etc."

Seeing as this is a poll of the coaches, I suspect that the locker rooms at an opposing school might carry more weight with them than the practice facility.

Coaches’ vote

Some offseason fluff but enjoyable. Saw some NC State fans on Twitter triggered that they were behind Syracuse and Louisville. Overall I thought it was pretty fair.

NC state? Seriously? They have been a mediocre program for over 30 years at this point!

I knew the top 4 would be Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Cuse in some order before I even clicked.

I think Cameron is vastly overrated. The only difference between it and other little dumps like ND and GT is the home team is better. Pitt is the same thing but like 80 years newer.

Smith Center is a great basketball arena IMO. Better than Cameron. UNC, Cuse and Louisville are the top 3 in some order. 20,000-30,000. This is the big leagues.

I think Cameron is vastly overrated. The only difference between it and other little dumps like ND and GT is the home team is better. Pitt is the same thing but like 80 years newer.

Smith Center is a great basketball arena IMO. Better than Cameron. UNC, Cuse and Louisville are the top 3 in some order. 20,000-30,000. This is the big leagues.

Doesn’t GT have a new or at least renovated arena now? I thought ND renovated the Joyce Center a few years ago like how Michigan completely redid Crisler. I could be wrong.

Doesn’t GT have a new or at least renovated arena now? I thought ND renovated the Joyce Center a few years ago like how Michigan completely redid Crisler. I could be wrong.

Good point. I think you’re right. Maybe they’re ahead of Cameron too?

They had a separate category for game atmosphere. Removing that from the equation, I don’t see why Cameron would be number 1? It’s small, old, and unimpressive. If Virginia Tech played there, nobody would care about it.

The Carrier Dome is massive and unique. Yum and Smith are just basketball palaces...one much newer than the other. But Smith is an impressive facility to walk into and to watch a game in, IMO.

Edit: my fault. They’ve actually got Duke at 3 for facilities, not 1. Ahead of UNC and Cuse though, so above point remains.

Good point. I think you’re right. Maybe they’re ahead of Cameron too?

They had a separate category for game atmosphere. Removing that from the equation, I don’t see why Cameron would be number 1? It’s small, old, and unimpressive. If Virginia Tech played there, nobody would care about it.

The Carrier Dome is massive and unique. Yum and Smith are just basketball palaces...one much newer than the other. But Smith is an impressive facility to walk into and to watch a game in, IMO.

Yeah Cameron is its own tier I guess a la Wrigley. I’ve never been there. People always say the UNC experience is pretty cool for sure. Never been there. I’d still put Pitt over NC St if we’re talking facilities. The PEC is impressive anyway you slice it outside and inside. Seems much younger than it actually is. But 7 for us is a joke. Unless the actual locker rooms are being weighed so heavily as DB Cooper suggests, lol. If that’s the case then let’s get this list to Wildhack to expedite that phase of the Dome renovation post haste, ha.

Last edited:
Very interesting analysis, thanks for posting.

I would probably say that 99% of us have never visited each and every facility on this list. Then there are people like myself who have not even visited one (including our own). Under these circumstances it is hard to critique the analysis. However, I will give some comments on a few categories which all of us could probably do.

History/Tradition #4 - Seems totally fair having us behind Duke, NC and Louisville. If any of the other schools were ahead of us on this one I would scream "foul".

Media Exposure #4 - Mirror rankings as above. I feel this rating is higher than what I am exposed to. In my opinion it is all relevant to how well the team is doing. For example, if things play out this year the way most of us think, our exposure will be much higher than recent years.

Game Atmosphere #2 - I can only go by what I see and hear on TV during the games. this ranking seems reasonable.

Yeah Cameron is its own tier I guess a la Wrigley. I’ve never been there. People always say UNC is pretty cool. Never been there. I’d still put Pitt over NC St if we’re talking facilities. The PEC is impressive anyway you slice it outside and inside. Seems much younger than it actually is. But 7 for us is a joke. Unless the actual locker rooms are being weighed so heavily as DB Cooper suggests, lol. If that’s the case then let’s get this list to Wildhack to expedite this phase of the Dome renovation post haste, ha.

Yeah, i think you’re right. Just seems like a biased way to rank things though.

I went to 3 UNC games. Maybe I saw it at its best because the team was top 5 and the opponents were the 3 other NC ACC schools, but I thought it was a great b-ball arena and atmosphere. Large, but built for b-ball so no bad seats. Carolina blue everywhere. The state of NC being on center court is striking as soon as you can see in, all kinds of banners and retired jerseys in the rafters, band playing every chance they get, etc. The fans have long had the “wine and cheese” rep, but that wasn’t my experience. Place was rocking and very loud all 3 games I went to. Honestly couldn’t find anything to knock about it. Louisville seems similar, but the arena is 25 years newer.

Suprised a bit that Wake’s rankings are so low for facilities. Maybe their practice facilities and locker rooms are weak? I thought it was at least a solid, middle of the conference type of arena when I went. Granted that was Tim Duncan era, so perhaps it’s gotten a bit run down since?

Yes, Ga Tech gutted their building and totally redid the insides. Their fans said it was in bad need of a renovation. I think Clemson has done/is about to have a renovation of their building, too.

What I find interesting is the Recruiting Base and Selling Pros categories. I agree that Syracuse's Recruiting Base is middling in the sense that the true "blue blood" programs, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Kansas, get the creme de la creme from each years freshman class. Meanwhile Syracuse, which is not a blue blood program but one with a very solid reputation nonetheless, has to do some deep diving and moneyball type of recruiting to annually restock the program. It is a testament to our staffs competence that while we are ranked 8th in Recruiting Base, we are ranked 3rd in the Selling Pros category. In value investing terms our recruiters are adding Alpha. Now that the "sanctions" era is over maybe we can climb back into the weekly rankings and really start rock and rolling again. LGO!

Our "recruiting base" is the DC to Boston corridor. Best recruiting area in the country. Don't know what these guys are talking about. National programs don't get their talent from a 50 mile radius of their campus. Dumb metric in my book.

Yeah, i think you’re right. Just seems like a biased way to rank things though.

I went to 3 UNC games. Maybe I saw it at its best because the team was top 5 and the opponents were the 3 other NC ACC schools, but I thought it was a great b-ball arena and atmosphere. Large, but built for b-ball so no bad seats. Carolina blue everywhere. The state of NC being on center court is striking as soon as you can see in, all kinds of banners and retired jerseys in the rafters, band playing every chance they get, etc. The fans have long had the “wine and cheese” rep, but that wasn’t my experience. Place was rocking and very loud all 3 games I went to. Honestly couldn’t find anything to knock about it. Louisville seems similar, but the arena is 25 years newer.

I'll play devil's advocate here in making a case for duke and taking a shot at the cuse. Never been to cameron so i'll defer to those who have but an arena that is tight as s--t and has passionate students lining the sidelines is by default a tough place to play and a poll of coaches would respect that.

The dome, by contrast, is big and open. It can be pretty quiet for games that aren't huge games and, for whatever it's worth, it's a pretty drab, outdated facility for fans (not sure this is taken into account in these ratings). I just remember sitting next to wilbon at a press event and we were talking hoops. I relayed that I was a syracuse fan and he basically said he thought the dome was a total s-hole. terrible for journalists and not that great for fans.

I went to Nova/Cuse a few years ago when both were really good and it was insane trying to use a bathroom or hit the concessions. I'm not terribly surprised to see it get dinged here. It desperately needs a massive facelift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom