ACC considering permanent late-season rivals for all teams | Syracusefan.com

ACC considering permanent late-season rivals for all teams

Alsacs

Living Legend
I think it might be Pitt then as Cuse vs BC is Thanksgiving weekend but we'll see.

If games have to be between ACC opponents

I would think it would go like this
Pittsburgh-Miami
Georgia Tech-Duke(I found out today this rivalry matters to both teams)
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Syracuse-Boston College
Clemson-Florida State
North Carolina-North Carolina State
Wake Forest-Louisville

The last one was the only one I had a hard time with.

according to an insider on ncaabbs 'acc board 2 mentioned games are:

Pittsburgh-Syracuse
boston college-Miami

which would mean a division switch of at least Pittsburgh for boston college as for the pairings to be yearly between bc and Miami they would have to be in same division

assuming the acc-sec games count id go with :
florida state-florida
Clemson-south Carolina
Georgia tech-Georgia
Wake Forest-Vanderbuilt
Syracuse-Pittsburgh
boston college-Miami-
Duke-North Carolina
Louisville -NC State
Virginia Tech- Virginia

i would assume it's with acc opponents since the acc doesn't have any control over what the sec decides to do.

Syracuse - Pitt (Miami - BC, fits better then Miami - Pitt)
Miami - BC
Clemson - Florida St
NC ST - WK
GT - Duke
Louisville - VT
UVA - UNC

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22260157/acc-considering-permanent-late-season- -for-all-teams

Alright what do you believe the matchups would be? I would think Syracuse would play Boston College.
Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia, Clemson-South Carolina, North Carolina-NC State, Virginia Tech-Virginia, Duke-Wake Forest, Miami-Pittsburgh? Louisville-Kentucky?

Are my guesses.

I would just change Pitt-Penn State, which is supported by Bill O'Brien and in the works, and Miami-USF, which they have been scheduling regularly. Wake Forest-Vanderbilt would continue. This just leaves Duke without a clear partner. Last year they put Duke vs Miami on the last weekend. Perhaps that could continue. The rest are no brainers.

i would assume it's with acc opponents since the acc doesn't have any control over what the sec decides to do.

Miami - BC
Clemson - Florida St
NC ST - WK
GT - Duke
Louisville - VT
UVA - UNC

it will include the sec-acc matchups according to the insider over there so florida state,georgia tech,clemson andwake will likely keep playing there sec game to close the season

it will include the sec-acc matchups according to the insider over there so florida state,georgia tech,clemson andwake will likely keep playing there sec game to close the season

that takes care of that then.

personally i love the idea. i used to love playing the Hoyas in hoops, and Miami in football the last games of the season. I still have nightmares of Gedney being tackled on the 3 right in front of me.

that takes care of that then.

personally i love the idea. i used to love playing the Hoyas in hoops, and Miami in football the last games of the season. I still have nightmares of Gedney being tackled on the 3 right in front of me.

Loudest sporting event I've ever been to.

Loudest sporting event I've ever been to.

Owens ran the 2 point conversion in the very same end zone right in front of me again. that one may have been just a bit louder, but impossible to compare since both were an unbelievable experience.

I want it to be Louisville. Screw Pitt and screw BC. I want to play better teams. I want to develop a big rivalry with Louisville in both sports.
Agree totally.

Miami - BC
Clemson - Florida St
NC ST - WK
GT - Duke
Louisville - VT
UVA - UNC

I think you are right, but a fan can dream and this is my dream for ACC/SEC match ups:

FSU - Florida
Clemson - South Carolina
Louisville - Kentucky
GATech - Georgia
Wake Forest - Vandy

Syracuse - Alabama (just 'cause I've liked 'Bama as long as I can remember, they always played well under Bear Bryant)
Pitt - Tennessee (Blue collar hard working city kids take on blue collar hard working mountain kids)
VATech - TAMU (This would be the ROTC Rumble, the two largest ROTC programs facing off annually)
BC - Mizzou (Sorry, BC, someone has to go to Missouri every other year)
Miami - LSU (Thug U takes on Thug U - but I sort of like Miami and really like LSU, fun to watch thugs)
NCState - Mississippi State (Useless state school v. useless state school, just my opinion)
Duke - Ole Miss (High brow northeastern kids at a southern school v. low brow southern kids at a southern school)
Virginia - Arkansas (Cavaliers hunting Razorbacks and vice versa)
North Carolina - Auburn (Two schools I have little regard for, seems to fit)

I would just change Pitt-Penn State, which is supported by Bill O'Brien and in the works, and Miami-USF, which they have been scheduling regularly. Wake Forest-Vanderbilt would continue. This just leaves Duke without a clear partner. Last year they put Duke vs Miami on the last weekend. Perhaps that could continue. The rest are no brainers.
Yeah I forget about that one, but I doubt the B1G will allow Penn State to do this without another non-conference game to the end the season.
The B1G seems like it is going
Michigan-Ohio State
Penn State-Michigan State
Rutgers-Maryland
Purdue-Indiana
Nebraska-Iowa
Minnesota-Wisconsin
Northwestern-Illinois

The ACC is probably going
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Florida State-Florida
Clemson-South Carolina
Georgia Tech-Georgia
Wake Forest-Vanderbilt OR Louisville-Kentucky*
Miami-Pittsburgh
Wake Forest/Louisville-NC State
Duke-North Carolina

If Louisville-Kentucky happens it COULD BE NC State-North Carolina
Duke-Wake Forest

Yeah I forget about that one, but I doubt the B1G will allow Penn State to do this without another non-conference game to the end the season.
The B1G seems like it is going
Michigan-Ohio State
Penn State-Michigan State
Rutgers-Maryland
Purdue-Indiana
Nebraska-Iowa
Minnesota-Wisconsin
Northwestern-Illinois

The ACC is probably going
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Florida State-Florida
Clemson-South Carolina
Georgia Tech-Georgia
Wake Forest-Vanderbilt OR Louisville-Kentucky*
Miami-Pittsburgh
Wake Forest/Louisville-NC State
Duke-North Carolina

If Louisville-Kentucky happens it COULD BE NC State-North Carolina
Duke-Wake Forest

I have a feeling that it'd be UNC-NCSU in that scenario, and, Duke-Wake.

Unfortunate if SU-BC is the final game each season. It's fine for the Dome years, but I'd much rather see the Chestnut Hill game in mid October like it was in the 90s. Perfect setting. Oh well. At least we're playing BC and not UConn, so I'll stop whining.

I have a feeling that it'd be UNC-NCSU in that scenario, and, Duke-Wake.
Yeah if Kentucky would accept the fact Louisville is a big boy now and move that game to a season ender then the ACC-SEC could do
ACC
North Carolina-NC State
Wake Forest-Duke
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh-Miami

SEC
Alabama-Auburn
Arkansas-LSU
Texas A&M-Missouri
Tennessee-Vanderbilt
Mississippi State-Ole Miss

ACC-SEC matchups
Georgia Tech-Georgia
Florida State-Florida
Louisville-Kentucky
Clemson-South Carolina

Yeah if Kentucky would accept the fact Louisville is a big boy now and move that game to a season ender then the ACC-SEC could do
ACC
North Carolina-NC State
Wake Forest-Duke
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh-Miami

SEC
Alabama-Auburn
Arkansas-LSU
Texas A&M-Missouri
Tennessee-Vanderbilt
Mississippi State-Ole Miss

ACC-SEC matchups
Georgia Tech-Georgia
Florida State-Florida
Louisville-Kentucky
Clemson-South Carolina

That would be cool, unless Pitt somehow got PSU back on their schedule for that week. Which would still be cool. Only thing is, it'd leave Miami without an opponent.

That would be cool, unless Pitt somehow got PSU back on their schedule for that week. Which would still be cool. Only thing is, it'd leave Miami without an opponent.
If Penn State-Piit were on the schedule I would think it would go like this, but then the B1G would need another non-conference rivalry or else someone would have to have a bye week the last week of the season.

Penn State-Pitt
Florida State-Florida
Georgia Tech-Georgia
Clemson-South Carolina
Boston College-Syracuse
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Wake Forest-Duke
NC State-Louisville
North Carolina-Miami(Fl)

The ACC doesn't want teams to finish the regular season against one another, and then meet again in the conference championship. To avoid this they'll likely pair up divisional members to end the season.

Assuming Louisville - Kentucky stays towards the beginning of the season.

ACC - SEC
Clemson - South Carolina
Florida State - Florida
Georgia Tech - Georgia
Wake Forest - Vanderbilt

Coastal
Miami - Pitt
North Carolina - Duke
Virginia - Virginia Tech

Atlantic
Boston College - Syracuse
Louisville - NC State

If Louisville - Kentucky gets moved to rivalry week, then NC State and Wake play.

The ACC doesn't want teams to finish the regular season against one another, and then meet again in the conference championship. To avoid this they'll likely pair up divisional members to end the season.

Assuming Louisville - Kentucky stays towards the beginning of the season.

ACC - SEC
Clemson - South Carolina
Florida State - Florida
Georgia Tech - Georgia
Wake Forest - Vanderbilt

Coastal
Miami - Pitt
North Carolina - Duke
Virginia - Virginia Tech

Atlantic
Louisville - NC State

If Louisville - Kentucky gets moved to rivalry week, then NC State and Wake play.
I agree with everything you wrote, but if Kentucky-Louisville moved to rivalry week even though the ACC wouldn't want rematches it would be NC State- North Carolina and Duke-Wake Forest. If the ACC championship game remains in Charlotte NC State-North Carolina could sellout BOA even if they were playing 2 weeks in a row a la Stanford-UCLA this past year in the Pac-12.

The ACC needs to man up and capitalize on its potential matchups. IMO, it hurts the conference not having UNC-NCSt the last week of the season. Sure, they could potentially meet up in the title game the following week, but the chances are extremely low. Are we seriously not going to pair the two up ANNUALLY on the remote chance that they BOTH win their division to play in the championship game?

I'd like to see Cuse and BC paired up annually at the end of the year, as I think it would greatly benefit both schools but especially BC. Thinking long term and bucking current situations, Miami could potentially get matched up with ND at the end of ever season. I see Miami as having a more national identity similar to ND - maybe it's just because of their history, maybe it's because they're all the way down in south florida, but that's the way I see it - so I see it as a natural matchup.

Here would be my optimized end of season rivalry matchups.

ACC - SECClemson - South Carolina
Florida State - Florida
Georgia Tech - Georgia
Louisville - Kentucky
ACC - B1G
Pitt - PSU
ACC - ACC
North Carolina - NC State
Virginia - Virginia Tech
Duke - Wake
Miami - ND