ACC divisions for football | Syracusefan.com

ACC divisions for football

WoadBlue

Starter

Which do you prefer and why? Schools are matched with an annual cross-divisional rival.

BC - Cuse
Pitt - VT
MD - UVA
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - GT
FSU - Miami

BC - Wake
Cuse - Dook
Pitt - GT
UMD - NCSU
UVA - UNC
VT - Clem
Miami - FSU

BC - Cuse
Pitt - Maryland
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - VT
GT - UVA
FSU - Miami

BC - Cuse
UVA - MD
VT - Pitt
UNC - NCSU
Dook - Wake
GT - Clem
FSU - Miami

BC - MD
Cuse - Pitt
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - VT
GT - UVA
FSU - Miami

#2.

We have history with BC, Miami, Maryland, and VT.

Which do you prefer and why? Schools are matched with an annual cross-divisional rival.

BC - Cuse
Pitt - VT
MD - UVA
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - GT
FSU - Miami

BC - Wake
Cuse - Dook
Pitt - GT
UMD - NCSU
UVA - UNC
VT - Clem
Miami - FSU

BC - Cuse
Pitt - Maryland
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - VT
GT - UVA
FSU - Miami

BC - Cuse
UVA - MD
VT - Pitt
UNC - NCSU
Dook - Wake
GT - Clem
FSU - Miami

BC - MD
Cuse - Pitt
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - VT
GT - UVA
FSU - Miami

-----------------------

Good post. What division would you prefer?

Hope the ACC goes to 9 conference games a year, to make the teams feel they are part of a conference rather than primarily part of a division.

Adding SU and Pitt is a great way for the ACC to consolidate their footprint, bridging UMD and BC, adding to the BB competition, giving Miami the northeast exposure it originally was hoping for, and with Pitt, adding to the football quality of the conference.

I also expect this will be a major positive in helping SU become very competitive in football again.

Clearly #1 because it keeps the balance of what the divisions look like now only BC replaces its permanent rival with SU and VT gets Pitt.

I prefer an actual north south split.

Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

NC State
UNC
Duke
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami
Clemson

Atlantic------------Coastal

Syracuse-----------Boston College
Pittsburgh---------Maryland
Duke---------------Wake Forest
North Carolina----North Carolina State
Florida State-------Miami
Virginia------------Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech------Clemson

#2.

We have history with BC, Miami, Maryland, and VT.

I really doubt the Southern schools would let 2 go through. The north division would be significantly weaker for football. I like anything that is cross divisional with BC, where we are in the same division as VT, MD, the U, and Pitt. Throw in Clemson/Wake and call it something stupid. Leaders and Legends like the B1G?

I really doubt the Southern schools would let 2 go through. The north division would be significantly weaker for football. I like anything that is cross divisional with BC, where we are in the same division as VT, MD, the U, and Pitt. Throw in Clemson/Wake and call it something stupid. Leaders and Legends like the B1G?

Atlantic and Coastal? :rolling:

#1B

BC - VT
Cuse - Pitt
MD - UVA
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - GT
FSU - Miami

I'd prefer my 1B for now with Pitt going to the Coastal and SU to the Atlantic. Keeps rivalries with BC and Pitt, renews a rivalry with MD, and we alternate every other year getting FSU or Clemson in the Dome.

Cheers,
Neil

If the ACC stays at 14, the current divisional alignments aren't likely to change very much. The only change in current teams is that there has been some suggestions that BC and GA tech might switch divisions. The question then becomes where does Syracuse and Pitt land. My guess is this:

**Atlantic
Maryland (UVA)
Florida State (Miami)
Clemson (VA Tech)
North Carolina State (UNC)
Wake Forest (Duke)
Georgia Tech (BC)
Pitt (Syracuse)

**Coastal
Miami
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Boston College
North Carolina
Duke
Syracuse

Personally, I would prefer a North/South divisional split, but I'm pretty sure the ACC will stick with the "zipper" format for aligning the divisions. I'm just guessing on the "natural rivals" in parenthesis, but most of those seem to make sense at some level. I have no idea how Syracuse fans feels about the above scenario, but I feel nearly 100% confident that the current setup will not be changing too much. I am almost certain BC and Syracuse will fall into the same division, which might put you with us in the Atlantic - unless there is another switch (GA Tech switching with BC.) Now, if we ever go to 16, then things get interesting. Who knows?!?

its gonna be #2. Those Carolina schools aren't splitting up. No way, no how

its gonna be #2. Those Carolina schools aren't splitting up. No way, no how

If the ACC eventually goes to 16, you're right. They will likely form their 4-team pod even for football. Just not sure there is a need to drastically go to a North (with Miami)/ South set-up just yet.

Cheers,
Neil

#2. That's just like a North/South split except with Miami in the North. And who wouldn't want to play d00k in football every year?

Virginia Tech has stated they don't want to be in a "North" division. One of the reasons they left the Big East was to be in a Southern league.

Which do I prefer?
#2, by a lot
And I bet the four North Carolina schools do, too. UMD, UVA and VT, on the other had, would likely fight it tooth and nail.

Virginia Tech has stated they don't want to be in a "North" division. One of the reasons they left the Big East was to be in a Southern league.
F**K them. They F*cked us last time around. What are they gonna do? Leave? When SU and Pitt arrive, there will be 13 teams in that conference that were asked to be in the conference, and one that got shoehorned into the conference because of politics. They can be the redheaded stepchild from now until eternity...and they will never be able to leave unless they drag UVA with them.

I will absolutely love hating those motherf*ckers again.

Oh, #2.

I don't like the idea of cross-divisional rivals. I think rivalries are strengthened when two teams are battling for position in the same standings.

BC - Cuse
Pitt - VT
MD - UVA
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - GT
FSU - Miami
This one is doable and would have a nice schedule of teams to play every year. I feel they wanna keep Pitt and SU in a different division than Duke and UNC for basketball. 3.5/5 stars

BC - Wake
Cuse - Dook
Pitt - GT
UMD - NCSU
UVA - UNC
VT - Clem
Miami - FSU
I dont see all 4 NC schools in the same Division they gonna keep them divided i bet which makes sense. To north/south VT already said they are not going to be apart of any north division. Also does miami wanna go to the otherside of the conf for every game? 1/5 star

BC - Cuse
Pitt - Maryland
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - VT
GT - UVA
FSU - Miami
Putting VT on the otherside is the only way to make this one any more unbalanced. i dont see many compelling ACC championship games coming out of this arrangement also considering miami is going to suck for atleast another decade. 0/5 stars

BC - Cuse
UVA - MD
VT - Pitt
UNC - NCSU
Dook - Wake
GT - Clem
FSU - Miami
I like this on on many levels. Pitt/cuse opposite Duke/UNC for BB. Would have a decent slate of games every year and would be interesting. The only thing i would change to make this perfect would be swap miami for GT/VT. When the Ncaa is done Miami will be a bottom feeder for awhile. But this seems like a good setup for FB and BB. 4/5 stars

BC - MD
Cuse - Pitt
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - VT
GT - UVA
FSU - Miami
I still feel GT, FSU, VT, Clemson should be divided like the NC schools 2+2. To much power on one side. 2.5/5 stars

You have to take a few things into account. Teams like VT, UVA, and MD do not want a N-S split. You want to keep the divisions competitively balanced. You want to keep as many rivalries together as possible. Also IMO it would be easier to have the divisions remain for BBall as well. Taking all of these into account the best split would be...

BC-SU
MD-Pitt
UVA-VT
UNC-NC St
Duke-Wake
Clemson-GA Tech
FSU-Miami

This should keep everyone happy. You don't lose any major FB rivalries. You give VT southern teams. You keep the ACC core 4 together for both FB and BBall. NC St and Wake would play UNC and Duke only once a year in BBall, but someone has to suffer. Also FSU and Miami would only play once a year in BBall. But they have only been doing that for a few years anyway, so who cares.

For FB you play your division mates every year. You play your cross over rival every year. Then you play 2 of the other 6 on a rotating basis. So you play those teams once every three years. Total FB conf games 9.

For BBall you play 19 conf games. Divisions teams you play twice a year. Cross division you play once a year. I hate the idea of not playing everyone in your conference at least once a year in BBall. Also I hate not knowing who you play twice a year in BBall. Being in the BE it was never the same. Keeping the divisions for BBall keeps everything nice and clean. For SU and Pitt this is only one more game a year in conf. However for the ACC teams it is 3 more games. Hopefully that isn't an issue. You can play 9 home games, 9 road games, and 1 neutral site game. The neutral site games will be an ACC double header in a market that the ACC covers but needs more exposure in. These would be Boston, New York, Philly, DC, Orlando, and Tampa. So the games would be as follows...

Year 1
North- a double header in the Boston Garden. One game featuring BC, the other Duke.
Mid Atlantic- a double header in the Wells Fargo Center. One game featuring Pitt, the other MD.
South- a double header in the O-rena. One game featuring FSU, the other Clemson.
ACC home- a single game in the Greensboro Coliseum featuring NC St.

Year 2
North- a double header at MSG. One game featuring SU, the other UNC.
Mid Atlantic- a double header in the Verizon Center. One game featuring UVA, the other VT.
South- a double header in the St Pete Forum. One game featuring Miami, the other GA Tech.
ACC home- a single game in the Greensboro Coliseum featuring Wake.

Having these neutral site games will increase the ACC's presence in each of these markets and make the ACC brand more valuable. Plus it would cause a buzz both in those cities as well as nationally. ESPN would love to televise these and hype them up.

Anyway that is what I would do if I ran the ACC.

You have to take a few things into account. Teams like VT, UVA, and MD do not want a N-S split. You want to keep the divisions competitively balanced. You want to keep as many rivalries together as possible. Also IMO it would be easier to have the divisions remain for BBall as well. Taking all of these into account the best split would be...

BC-SU
MD-Pitt
UVA-VT
UNC-NC St
Duke-Wake
Clemson-GA Tech
FSU-Miami
Anyway that is what I would do if I ran the ACC.

5/5 stars from me

#1B

BC - VT
Cuse - Pitt
MD - UVA
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clem - GT
FSU - Miami

I'd prefer my 1B for now with Pitt going to the Coastal and SU to the Atlantic. Keeps rivalries with BC and Pitt, renews a rivalry with MD, and we alternate every other year getting FSU or Clemson in the Dome.

Cheers,
Neil

I think that works great if you swap MD/Pitt and Clemson/GA Tech.

BC-UVA
Cuse-MD
Pitt-VT
NC St-UNC
Wake-Duke
GA Tech-Clemson
FSU-Miami

That puts the 3 North teams together. Puts the 3 Mid Atlantic teams together. Splits the 4 NC teams and splits the 4 South teams. FB would be even as long as Miami isn't hit too hard. BBall one side is top heavy (UNC/Duke/MD), while the other is deep (worst program is FSU). ACC CG is set up for FSU/GA Tech winner vs Miami/Clemson/VT winner.

If the ACC stays at 14, the current divisional alignments aren't likely to change very much. The only change in current teams is that there has been some suggestions that BC and GA tech might switch divisions. The question then becomes where does Syracuse and Pitt land. My guess is this:

**Atlantic
Maryland (UVA)
Florida State (Miami)
Clemson (VA Tech)
North Carolina State (UNC)
Wake Forest (Duke)
Georgia Tech (BC)
Pitt (Syracuse)

**Coastal
Miami
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Boston College
North Carolina
Duke
Syracuse

Personally, I would prefer a North/South divisional split, but I'm pretty sure the ACC will stick with the "zipper" format for aligning the divisions. I'm just guessing on the "natural rivals" in parenthesis, but most of those seem to make sense at some level. I have no idea how Syracuse fans feels about the above scenario, but I feel nearly 100% confident that the current setup will not be changing too much. I am almost certain BC and Syracuse will fall into the same division, which might put you with us in the Atlantic - unless there is another switch (GA Tech switching with BC.) Now, if we ever go to 16, then things get interesting. Who knows?!?

This

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom