ACC 'Expansion' Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

ACC 'Expansion' Thoughts

orange79

Internet Sleuth
With all the discussion about the ACCT, and the fact that the league loses its AQ (next year? 2018?), I started to think about possible additions to the Lax league. If the ACC doesn't go 'outside' the league as it is currently constituted, there are really only a few options (in no particular order):

1. NC State (club level - and thanks for Tim Nelson!)
  2. BC (they already play club level)
  3. Louisville ( I believe they also play club level)
  4. Pitt (club level)
  5. GT (club level)
  6. ????
Losing the AQ for a league as talented as the ACC probably isn't a huge deal, but I would hate to lose that option, should it be necessary. Is 6 teams still the minimum for an AQ league?

I know that adding another mouth to feed would cause us to give up an OOC opponent - either a traditional opponent (Cornell/Hop/Army/etc.) or a NYS courtesy call opponent (Siena/Bingo/Colgate/St. John's/etc.). Not that any of the NYS games (other than Cornell) mean much to me, but it is usually a way to chalk up a win without much effort.

Personally, I think Louisville would be the best bet, if they had the appetite for it. Heck, if Marquette can do it, Louisville should be able to be competitive in a few years.

NC State? That ship has sailed. BC? They only try in hockey. Pitt? The hell with them.

Thoughts?

This is the last year our AQ is grandfathered in.

I would prefer BC. The Carolina Mafia has enough votes already.

We could probably count on Louisville to be on our side.

Maybe.

Expansion within the established league membership is probably inevitable. We'd be looking at giving up Hobart, Colgate and/or Siena for BC, Louisville, & NC State. Yuk.

Expansion within the established league membership is probably inevitable. We'd be looking at giving up Hobart, Colgate and/or Siena for BC, Louisville, & NC State. Yuk.
I'm thinking that if they expand, it would only be one team, not three.

Title IX will probably rule out those existing conference members. They will need to be proactive and add an existing out of conference program similar to when the B10 added Hopkins. ( might have missed the boat there, as much as I hate Hop)

Ga Tech's club is highly ranked in the MCLA this year. They and NC State, as engineering schools, are probably in the best shape Title IX-wise. F$U supposedly has a sugar daddy who will pay for both lax teams if they can work out the Title IX questions that would probably arise because of the greater number of MLax schollies compared to WLax schollies. I guess that means they would have to start another sports team for women.

Title IX will probably rule out those existing conference members. They will need to be proactive and add an existing out of conference program similar to when the B10 added Hopkins. ( might have missed the boat there, as much as I hate Hop)
Agreed that Title IX is the biggest obstacle for schools already in the conference. I think Richmond would be a good option, although they are already part of the Southern Conference

I'm thinking that if they expand, it would only be one team, not three.

In the short term, yes. As the sport continues to expand, it's likely there will be more.

It would have been very hard for JHU to go to the ACC with the Twerps going to the B1G. They are true rivals. As much as they've played us, you, Princeton, Cornell, etc., the one game JHU wants to win more than any other is the one with the Twerps and vice versa. I even asked them on Laxpower who their rival was and it was unanimous, the Twerps. Although they did say they only want to play UVa once a year because too many bad things have happened when they play us.

Next year, if I go to the JHU-Twerp game, I get to wear my "JHU Dad" shirt.

It would have been very hard for JHU to go to the ACC with the Twerps going to the B1G. They are true rivals. As much as they've played us, you, Princeton, Cornell, etc., the one game JHU wants to win more than any other is the one with the Twerps and vice versa. I even asked them on Laxpower who their rival was and it was unanimous, the Twerps. Although they did say they only want to play UVa once a year because too many bad things have happened when they play us.

Next year, if I go to the JHU-Twerp game, I get to wear my "JHU Dad" shirt.
That's probably one expensive hat.

if they can't expand from within, i'd look to add Loyola or Navy. I think it's important to have Lacrosse representation in the Maryland region.

if they can't expand from within, i'd look to add Loyola or Navy. I think it's important to have Lacrosse representation in the Maryland region.

Unlikely the ACC would offer either of those schools as to date they haven't been interested in associate members. I am not sure either school from a competition standpoint would accept even if offered, Navy especially would struggle to compete week in and week out in the ACC.

Unlikely the ACC would offer either of those schools as to date they haven't been interested in associate members. I am not sure either school from a competition standpoint would accept even if offered, Navy especially would struggle to compete week in and week out in the ACC.
During the Realignment days, one idea that was discussed as an incentive to ND to join for fb was a hybrid membership in the ACC and Patriot Leagues to be shared by Navy and Georgetown. Navy would play in the ACC for fb (playing ND every year as they do now) and in the Patriot League for all the other sports because they would have so much difficulty in competing in the ACC for the Olympic Sports. Georgetown would continue to play fb in the Patriot League and have the 16th slot in the ACC for all its other sports because they do a better job at being competitive in the Olympic Sports.

if the ACC can't expand from within then they'll have to find associate members. Everybody will struggle to compete week in and week out in the ACC. thats life within the nations best conference.

There's also Georgetown, Towson, UMBC, Delaware etc.

if the ACC can't expand from within then they'll have to find associate members. Everybody will struggle to compete week in and week out in the ACC. thats life within the nations best conference.

There's also Georgetown, Towson, UMBC, Delaware etc.

From what has been leaked from the ACC they will simply lose the AQ as they have no desire to have an associate member.

From what has been leaked from the ACC they will simply lose the AQ as they have no desire to have an associate member.
This makes complete sense. I'll worry about it as soon as the ACC champion doesn't get an at large bid. Seems like a non-issue. I like the "we're so good, we don't need the AQ" approach.

This makes complete sense. I'll worry about it as soon as the ACC champion doesn't get an at large bid. Seems like a non-issue. I like the "we're so good, we don't need the AQ" approach.
Whereas I mostly agree, it would be nice to have that AQ available in case we needed it. :noidea:

The ACC doesn't need an AQ to get its champion in the tournament. While it's an unusual year this year, normally we're talking about whether all 5 teams get in or "only" 4.

Hoo's That said:
The ACC doesn't need an AQ to get its champion in the tournament. While it's an unusual year this year, normally we're talking about whether all 5 teams get in or "only" 4.
Why the heck don't VT, BC, NCSU (or Wake) and Clemson add lax? Seems like they would be natural fits. UofL has a good women's team. Why don't they add men's? I can't believe we can't scrabble together enough teams from within.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom