ACC football in 2012, Basketball in 2013-14 | Syracusefan.com

ACC football in 2012, Basketball in 2013-14

liljoe

Scout Team
A teeny tiny little birdy that has never failed me tells me this 27 month waiting period will be settled with Syracuse and Pitt able to join the ACC for football in 2012, but having to keep the 27 month commitment for basketball. Should all come out following the "super secret" meeting between big east football members and Notre Dame.

Main reason- Every school is publicly trying to jump ship, no sense hamstringing themselves with a 27 month waiting period that is going to put the remaining schools at a disadvantage when trying to get out. It's every man for himself at this point. All the schools understand that there isn't going to be a Big East football conference to play in any more after 12 months, so there is no one to hold them to it.

The same can't be said for basketball. Those schools have every intent on keeping things intact for two more basketball seasons, and why not? And as everyone says, this is a football thing. It isn't making a difference to expanding conferences when their basketball membership changes. The ACC doesn't need Syracuse or Pitt for basketball any time soon. Same can be said for all conferences.

And then there is the money. Clearly, Big East football isn't worth a dime. Basketball on the other hand is still worth a boat full. Even more so when you figure the tv money the Big East can pull in when advertised as the final years of a great conference. That last Big East tournament? Wow...

This is the compromise that will come out soon. It will make everyone happy, and it will be something all parties can benefit from.

That compromise blows. It won't make everyone happy, because OttoinGrotto ain't happy, and OttoinGrotto is everybody.

And what of all the other sports? Just curious. I would assume they go on the football schedule, if this report pans out.

F the hoops only. Just start the CYO and call it whatever you want.

Annnnnd...

The sun will come up tomorrow.
images

That would be odd...we'd be a FB only to the ACC for 2012. LOL not sure the NCAA would allow it.

And what of all the other sports? Just curious. I would assume they go on the football schedule, if this report pans out.

All other sports will remain in the Big East for the 27 months. Again, it isn't making any difference to conferences if they have woman's field hockey join this year, next year, 10 years from now.

As Boeheim said today on Axe, there's no way anyone in the Big East wants to hold SU and Pitt to 27 months. They need to make decisions that impact their future now. He said are they going to merge or add teams and then say "hold on, we can't add you for 2 more years, we still need to make sure Syracuse and Pitt play out all their games first".

All other sports will remain in the Big East for the 27 months. Again, it isn't making any difference to conferences if they have woman's field hockey join this year, next year, 10 years from now.

Spoken like someone who never loved one of them. Like I did.

I doubt the ACC likes this all that much.

How do you figure that? Swafford has already said the ACC accepts the fact that Pitt and Syracuse have to live up to Big East by-laws requiring them to remain in the leaguer for 27 months. This gives them what they want in a year, a shorter time frame than they current expect. Of course they like it.

It's going to work itself out, but if the football conference breaks up, liljoe's post will be how it works legally unless a compromise is made.

How do you figure that? Swafford has already said the ACC accepts the fact that Pitt and Syracuse have to live up to Big East by-laws requiring them to remain in the leaguer for 27 months. This gives them what they want in a year, a shorter time frame than they current expect. Of course they like it.

Yeah, but I don't think they want the Big East using our basketball program for a year more than it has to.

Doesn't the BE tv contract run out in 2014? The thinking must be that the hit the basketball end of the contract will take from SU and Pitt leaving early will be more than the $10 million payday (split 8 ways) that the remaining schools will get if the league somehow manages to survive this realignment. The basketball onlies want to maximize their payoff, which is understandable.

With that said, I still think SU is gone at the end of this school year.

That explains the tweet from that reported named Burr a couple of days ago about our hoops not going...he must have mean immediately. You would think this agreement is a starting point that would be moved on from in the near future.

Yeah, but I don't think they want the Big East using our basketball program for a year more than it has to.

ACC knew that it was worst case scenario though when they were taking us on. So, assuming they didn't want to face it, turn the negotiation over to them and use whatever coins are sitting in the reserve...

why would the NCAA care about SU/Pitt being in fball for next year and bball 2-3 years down the road.. you have schools now in conferences for different sports. cornell is Ivy for some sports and ecac for hockey both div I.. they let Vill be in the BE for some sports and not for fball..

why would the NCAA care about SU/Pitt being in fball for next year and bball 2-3 years down the road.. you have schools now in conferences for different sports. cornell is Ivy for some sports and ecac for hockey both div I.. they let Vill be in the BE for some sports and not for fball..

Cornell plays hockey in the Ivy League. Colgate is in the ECAC.