ACC Get Balls (source disagrees) | Syracusefan.com

ACC Get Balls (source disagrees)

arbitragegls

All Conference
Okay, this is on me...the Jack & Coke guy. Just wanted to throw something out and see if it floats--source said it was throwing ice in the pond...so this is not an ACC thing...feel free to flee at this point.

By now it is apparent that $$$ are going to run big time college athletics. Realignment will continue until the B1G/SEC and which ever other conference stays alive. Maryland proved that being a whore is okay...big $$$...no athletic ability...and those $$$ will continue to shake the conference realignment tree. Even the Big East bball schools are catching on...What...Tulane, ECU...etc...no rivalry there ...travel to Boise..c'mon...be sensible. Not to mention that 5 of the 6 conferences had declining IN SEAT fans watching Football games.

So how to end all of this...I got an opinion and we all know what an opinion is worth...I just want to see this all end for the next 15 years or so...at least end for the ACC and 'Cuse.

So button up your seat belts:
1. ACC conference has an averagely $17,000,000 contract today...a contract that does not get lowered as long as there are 14 teams (confirmed by source)
2. ACC is in position of Top 5 conferences for new bowl payout averaging $91 million year

So ACC and 'Cuse in good position financially. So lets STOP THE BS:
1. All present ACC teams given an out for $$TBD within the next 6 months
--otherwise sign a GOR on top of exit fee and commit for 15 years--and mean it
2. ACC puts out an RFP to universities and request submission for conference entry
--must agree to exit fee/GOR and make the commit for 15 years
3. IF FSU or any other team wants out...NOW IS THE TIME TO GET OUT
4. Notre Dame either signs on or gets out
5. ACC based on RFP of universities that want in select in order to the number of teams leaving and to the # 16 for its conference for the next 15 years
6. Discussions with ESPN on TV contract increase based on 16 team conference as well as fact one of the largest viewed conferences (Nielsen last several years) and added content
7. Completing and executing ACC network with ESPN and/or others within next 12 months
8. Open discussions with Madison Square Garden on BBall tournament at least rotating there every 3 years...or permanently

What does this do...IT BRINGS PEACE OF MIND...IT KEEPS AND ESTABLISHES RIVALRIES THAT WILL BE THERE FOR 15 YEARS OR MORE...so now the ACC has reached 16 teams that want to be in its conference...now would that not be MEANINGFUL AND Fan based fun.

Discuss!

why would a school stay in when they have that gun to their head?

I have appreciated your posts recently, but maybe you are really hungover from J&C's this morning? This post has wet brain written all over it.

acutally, I think it is being relatively benign...you want to leave, do it now and go for a TBD$$$ amount...at least have the teams that want to stay.

I have appreciated your posts recently, but maybe you are really hungover from J&C's this morning? This post has wet brain written all over it.
thanks...maybe on the field of play too long and getting very tired of the ups and downs

Every school would leave with an ultimatum like that.

Especially Notre Dame.

Ummm, we're undefeated and #1 in the country. 7 of our games were in the top 21 rated games of the year. Our upcoming BCS Championship will probably break every rating on file.

So, if you don't want our 5 game football arrangement and all-in other sports arrangement, that's fine. Big 12 is a phone call away.

Because a lot of them wouldn't have any better options. However, those that do are the ones who are critical to ACC survival (FSU, Clemson, VaTech, UNC, ND). So, you probably end up with an ugly conference that combines the mid-bottom of the BE/ACC with the top of ConfUSA.

SU
NC St
UVA
BC
Lou
ECU
Temple
Pitt
Wake
Duke
Cincy
USF
UCF
Memphis

Not exactly an attractive conference and one that would no longer be in the big 5 for BCS.

The ACC is in good shape right now. No need for drastic ultimatums.

Maryland's move was dopey. Led by a guy who admitted he knows nothing about college sports and not well thought-out at all. It's not an indication of things to come.

Leave to go where?

Another conference that may or not be ready, willing or able to expand again right now?

Geez, dude.

By now it is apparent that $$$ are going to run big time college athletics.

Maryland proved that being a whore is okay.

I stopped reading after that because they are contradictory statements.

I don't doubt arb's source(s). His proposals are all over the place, because I think the ACC gameplan is all over the place. I have little confidence this will turn out well for the ACC.

The disparity in money and bowls will grow and grow. It may take a few years (5? 10?), but eventually there will be more defections.

Forget the GoR, the ACC needs to get things like a network up and running. There has to be something else they can do (besides winning more games) to differentiate themselves. Sitting idly by won't work. Maybe they need a marketing genius.

Especially Notre Dame.

Ummm, we're undefeated and #1 in the country. 7 of our games were in the top 21 rated games of the year. Our upcoming BCS Championship will probably break every rating on file.

So, if you don't want our 5 game football arrangement and all-in other sports arrangement, that's fine. Big 12 is a phone call away.

For me, if ND doesn't commit to full ACC membership in the near future, then I'd like nothing more for their arrogant and pompous arses to get booted. They know their overall best fit is in the ACC, otherwise they would be in the B1G or Big 12. But as long as they can have one's cake and eat it too, they're getting the best of both worlds. It drove me crazy in the BE and will now in the ACC...

I've stopped fretting over what FSU may or may not do. My gut tells me that UNC and UVA are not leaving their conference. Ever. Therefore, if Delaney wants to poach someone, it'll have to be NC State or GaTech. And, quite frankly, I don't see State going anywhere without UNC. To get GaTech, the BiG would have to break their contiguity rule, but I'm not worried about Tech leaving either.

I think the ACC is doing everything in it's power to solidify itself and make it one of the power brokers moving forward. Swofford is not an idiot. After all, he scored ND out from under Delany and almost took PSU. That was the next step, and people who don't think so didnt read between the lines. Swofford put the BiG in reaction mode and forced Delaney to move sooner than he probably wanted to. And what did he gain? A couple of dreg football schools. Losing UMD? Whatever. Other than location, Louisville is an upgrade. Let the BIG suck up the dregs.

Until I see all of the ACC presidents in a group meeting telling all of us that the sky is falling and the BiG bad wolf is blowing down HQ, I will remain optimistic that the ACC is going to live long and prosper.

Because a lot of them wouldn't have any better options. However, those that do are the ones who are critical to ACC survival (FSU, Clemson, VaTech, UNC, ND). So, you probably end up with an ugly conference that combines the mid-bottom of the BE/ACC with the top of ConfUSA.

SU
NC St
UVA
BC
Lou
ECU
Temple
Pitt
Wake
Duke
Cincy
USF
UCF
Memphis

Not exactly an attractive conference and one that would no longer be in the big 5 for BCS.
Hey! You left out UConn. :p

Okay, this is on me...the Jack & Coke guy. Just wanted to throw something out and see if it floats--source said it was throwing ice in the pond...so this is not an ACC thing...feel free to flee at this point.

By now it is apparent that $$$ are going to run big time college athletics. Realignment will continue until the B1G/SEC and which ever other conference stays alive. Maryland proved that being a whore is okay...big $$$...no athletic ability...and those $$$ will continue to shake the conference realignment tree. Even the Big East bball schools are catching on...What...Tulane, ECU...etc...no rivalry there ...travel to Boise..c'mon...be sensible. Not to mention that 5 of the 6 conferences had declining IN SEAT fans watching Football games.

So how to end all of this...I got an opinion and we all know what an opinion is worth...I just want to see this all end for the next 15 years or so...at least end for the ACC and 'Cuse.

1. ACC conference has an averagely $17,000,000 contract today...a contract that does not get lowered as long as there are 14 teams (confirmed by source)
2. ACC is in position of Top 5 conferences for new bowl payout averaging $91 million year

2. ACC puts out an RFP to universities and request submission for conference entry
5. ACC based on RFP of universities that want in select in order to the number of teams leaving and to the # 16 for its conference for the next 15 years
6. Discussions with ESPN on TV contract increase based on 16 team conference as well as fact one of the largest viewed conferences (Nielsen last several years) and added content
7. Completing and executing ACC network with ESPN and/or others within next 12 months
8. Open discussions with Madison Square Garden on BBall tournament at least rotating there every 3 years...or permanently

What does this do...IT BRINGS PEACE OF MIND...IT KEEPS AND ESTABLISHES RIVALRIES THAT WILL BE THERE FOR 15 YEARS OR MORE...so now the ACC has reached 16 teams that want to be in its conference...now would that not be MEANINGFUL AND Fan based fun.

Discuss!

is it me or is this just a difficult post to read? My head hurts a little.

Everyone, I threw something out to discuss...it is outrageous...it is not an ACC thing...it is mine, all mine...cause I am tired...but wouldn't a period of rest and no worry be worth it...guess I will go back to reporting source only...give me a Jack and coke

Everyone, I threw something out to discuss...it is outrageous...it is not an ACC thing...it is mine, all mine...cause I am tired...but wouldn't a period of rest and no worry be worth it...guess I will go back to reporting source only...give me a Jack and coke
i dont mind the posts.
the problem is that a period of rest is unlikely to happen since the financial landscape of college athletics keeps changing, and will keep changing. the tv landscape, as we know it today, is very unlikely to be the same in 5, 10, 15 years. money is going to change hands (between content providers, cable/satellite companies, schools) and most schools will not want to lock themselves in unless they see the market tanking in a few years (which might be the case, but current deals have shown otherwise). you have companies like apple about to come into the tv market today which may change the game around cable subscriptions and advertising is done.

I don't doubt arb's source(s). His proposals are all over the place, because I think the ACC gameplan is all over the place. I have little confidence this will turn out well for the ACC.

The disparity in money and bowls will grow and grow. It may take a few years (5? 10?), but eventually there will be more defections.

Forget the GoR, the ACC needs to get things like a network up and running. There has to be something else they can do (besides winning more games) to differentiate themselves. Sitting idly by won't work. Maybe they need a marketing genius.

Would you be shocked to learn that North Carolina currently earns more than 10 million dollars annually from Tier 3 rights?

Would you be shocked to learn that North Carolina currently earns more than 10 million dollars annually from Tier 3 rights?

And? UT makes a lot of money, too. Doesn't mean the b12 is in good shape.

i dont mind the posts.
the problem is that a period of rest is unlikely to happen since the financial landscape of college athletics keeps changing, and will keep changing. the tv landscape, as we know it today, is very unlikely to be the same in 5, 10, 15 years. money is going to change hands (between content providers, cable/satellite companies, schools) and most schools will not want to lock themselves in unless they see the market tanking in a few years (which might be the case, but current deals have shown otherwise). you have companies like apple about to come into the tv market today which may change the game around cable subscriptions and advertising is done.

I blame all of this on the dawn of high definition and flat screen televisions. Before plasma, LCD's and LED's, it wasn't nearly as much fun watching sports. I propose we all pitch our wall mounted man toys and drop our cable/satellite subscriptions. Let's go back to oil lamps and shooting baby bears with muskets.

And? UT makes a lot of money, too. Doesn't mean the b12 is in good shape.

The Big 12 is always one UT signature away from being dead. And that's no lie.

Discuss!

what is a RFP?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom