ACC likely to add Pinstripe, Gator Bowls | Syracusefan.com

ACC likely to add Pinstripe, Gator Bowls

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/55139/source-pinstripe-and-gator-bowls-likely-in-acc-future

Losing the Chick-Fil-A bowl will be tough for the ACC, but I like these additons.
It looks like the Pinstripe will be B1G vs. ACC, Gator Bowl will be SEC vs. ACC, and the Belk in Charlotte will be ACC vs. SEC as well. I like these matchups, and the Champ Sports Bowl will become Big XII vs. ACC, and Music City bowl will be ACC vs. SEC.

I like that the ACC will have a lot of bowl matchups with the SEC rather being stuck with 3 Big East-ACC bowls matchups the ACC was stuck with last bowl cycle.
Also, if the B1G takes the Orange Bowl slot then Captial One Bowl against the SEC #2 will be available for the ACC on New Year's Day.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/55139/source-pinstripe-and-gator-bowls-likely-in-acc-future

Losing the Chick-Fil-A bowl will be tough for the ACC, but I like these additons.
It looks like the Pinstripe will be B1G vs. ACC, Gator Bowl will be SEC vs. ACC, and the Belk in Charlotte will be ACC vs. SEC as well. I like these matchups, and the Champ Sports Bowl will become Big XII vs. ACC, and Music City bowl will be ACC vs. SEC.

I like that the ACC will have a lot of bowl matchups with the SEC rather being stuck with 3 Big East-ACC bowls matchups the ACC was stuck with last bowl cycle.
Also, if the B1G takes the Orange Bowl slot then Captial One Bowl against the SEC #2 will be available for the ACC on New Year's Day.

Yeah, upgrading bowl deals was a huge priority. Especially with the addition of ND, if the ACC can't parlay that into better bowl deals, then a lot of the value of that is gone. They're taking ACC bowl slots after all.

The Gator Bowl will replace the Peach, the Belk Bowl will be an upgrade against the SEC. And I like that twist about the Cap 1 Bowl. Would love to see it work the other way in the years the SEC gets the OB game.

So far I like what I'm hearing. Like so many other things lately, ACC seems to be on top of things and pushing the right buttons these days.

Yeah, upgrading bowl deals was a huge priority. Especially with the addition of ND, if the ACC can't parlay that into better bowl deals, then a lot of the value of that is gone. They're taking ACC bowl slots after all.

The Gator Bowl will replace the Peach, the Belk Bowl will be an upgrade against the SEC. And I like that twist about the Cap 1 Bowl. Would love to see it work the other way in the years the SEC gets the OB game.

So far I like what I'm hearing. Like so many other things lately, ACC seems to be on top of things and pushing the right buttons these days.
Lou hopefully you can swing by and say hi to our tailgate at the FSU game this Fall. BTW, if you come up in '14 to Syracuse you're invited to our tailgate in the Fine Lot.

Lou hopefully you can swing by and say hi to our tailgate at the FSU game this Fall. BTW, if you come up in '14 to Syracuse you're invited to our tailgate in the Fine Lot.

I usually make it down to two FSU games a year from Atlanta. Been thinking about doing the Syracuse game actually. Right time of the season for decent weather, and I usually don't do the Clemson/UM/UF games because I alway bring my kids. Those games are extra crowded, have to get there earlier, emotions run a little high, and a little tougher to handle with kids. The Syracuse game is right in my wheelhouse, pretty decent opponent but won't be a stressful atmosphere. And a team I haven't seen in person in a while. I'd say the SU game is the leader in the clubhouse for one of my games.

As for SU in '14, it's not out of the question. I'm from Buffalo. I was at the Dome in '90 (?) for the FSU game before I went to Florida State. We usually travel back a couple times a year, but not during football season. But I think it might be fun if I could pull together my buddies who are still there and make it an event.

Swofford has done a good job placating to the Florida State and Clemson fanbases and their concerns. Sometimes you take the status quo for granted, and thanks to the WVU internet people trying to destabilize the ACC Swofford has had to do more for the football schools and has a done a good job with that. I think if Georgia Tech. Virginia Tech, Miami, become consistent top 25 along with Florida State and Clemson, and each year get 1 or 2 of Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Boston College, North Carolina, NC State having top 25 teams then ACC can become a great league.

ACC tiers
Tier 1
Florida State
Miami
Multiple NC winners, and have Heisman trophy winners and are national cache

Tier 2
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Consistent top 25 teams the past 5 years and are football-first programs and will get respect nationally. All with a BCS appearance recently.

Tier 3 has several tiers within 1
Decent brands can have 1 or more top 25 teams
North Carolina
NC State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
Virginia
Louisville

Lower tier 3
Wake Forest(they won the 2006 ACC title and have had a couple bowl seasons, but aren't going to help the ACC often)

Tier 4
Duke (Cutcliffe can get Duke to be the Stanford of the ACC if he recruits better and the stadium actually doesn't become this for opponents.
images

Tier 4
Duke (Cutcliffe can get Duke to be the Stanford of the ACC if he recruits better and the stadium actually doesn't become this for opponents.
images
Duke's going to renovate, and expand (40k-ish), their stadium. Hopefully that helps breathe some air into their program. I know they had a good season last year.

With the GoR, our only real worry is higher end bowls. The lower money aspect shouldn't be much of a problem (at least not yet).

The big thing with the bowl tie-ins in win baby win, if you beat these opponents every year, the attention switches to the ACC.

What I like about these new bowls is they are on the east coast for the most part. NYC, Jacksonville, Tampa, Charlotte, Orlando...nice mix of destinations Cuse fans will want to go to. BTW, I went to Nashville for the game in Dec '99...another nice locale.

I hope that the ACC can keep the Sun Bowl as well. It's been ACC vs PAC12. Georgia Tech just beat USC in it last season. It looks like a pretty good bowl too.

I hope that the ACC can keep the Sun Bowl as well. It's been ACC vs PAC12. Georgia Tech just beat USC in it last season. It looks like a pretty good bowl too.
We get the Sun Bowl...Fly into San Antonio, rent your car and do a caravan road trip...Stop at Terlingua and visit Big Bend on the way. The Interstate raised the speed limit to 80 outside San Antonio all the way to El Paso.

250px-Texas_80_mph_speed_limit_unveiling.JPG

I was at the Dome in '90 (?) for the FSU game before I went to Florida State. We usually travel back a couple times a year, but not during football season. But I think it might be fun if I could pull together my buddies who are still there and make it an event.

I can still see Buckley taking that punt back. Can't believe the SU players let up, and didn't just drill him.

Swofford has done a good job placating to the Florida State and Clemson fanbases and their concerns. Sometimes you take the status quo for granted, and thanks to the WVU internet people trying to destabilize the ACC Swofford has had to do more for the football schools and has a done a good job with that. I think if Georgia Tech. Virginia Tech, Miami, become consistent top 25 along with Florida State and Clemson, and each year get 1 or 2 of Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Boston College, North Carolina, NC State having top 25 teams then ACC can become a great league.

ACC tiers
Tier 1
Florida State
Miami
Multiple NC winners, and have Heisman trophy winners and are national cache

Tier 2
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Consistent top 25 teams the past 5 years and are football-first programs and will get respect nationally. All with a BCS appearance recently.

Tier 3 has several tiers within 1
Decent brands can have 1 or more top 25 teams
North Carolina
NC State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
Virginia
Louisville

Lower tier 3
Wake Forest(they won the 2006 ACC title and have had a couple bowl seasons, but aren't going to help the ACC often)

Tier 4
images
This analysis is seriously dated. As just one data point, Duke was tier 4 or even 5 five years ago, but i think thet climbed to tier 3 last year. In any case, they have beaten Virginia 4 out of the last 5, so no way are the Hoos ahead at this point. Anyway, my tiers:

Tier 1: Clemson, FSU, ND (sort of)
Tier 2: VT (stock down), GT (stock down), Miami (stock up), Louisville (looking ahead), UNC (cheaters)
Tier 3: Duke, NCSU, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia
Tier 4: BC, Maryland (see ya), Wake

Its interesting to see who the SEC is choosing as their dance partner. While it makes obvious regional sense, it feels though there is an underlying current of cooperation between the two, almost as if both have taken a " the B1G" attitude. Truth be known, I would much rather be aligned with the SEC than with the B1G or B12 anyways.

And in hoops, I'm betting we see the ACC/B1G challenge turn into the ACC/SEC challenge in the very near future.

I know I should know this, but explain to me why the ACC isn't affiliated with the Chick-Fil-A Bowl anymore? There's 6 bowls in the playoff rotation, but only 3 hosting every year, right? So why wouldn't the ACC retain it in the off years?

That being said, Mark nailed it in terms of locations. Majority of ACC bowl tie-ins are in easy-to-get-to, east coast locations. Great news.

This analysis is seriously dated. As just one data point, Duke was tier 4 or even 5 five years ago, but i think thet climbed to tier 3 last year. In any case, they have beaten Virginia 4 out of the last 5, so no way are the Hoos ahead at this point. Anyway, my tiers:

Tier 1: Clemson, FSU, ND (sort of)
Tier 2: VT (stock down), GT (stock down), Miami (stock up), Louisville (looking ahead), UNC (cheaters)
Tier 3: Duke, NCSU, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia
S0rry, I am combining recent results and history.

Tier 1 Florida State and Miami(trending down) both have won national titles in the BCS era and have Heisman trophy winners in 1990s. They are the only ACC teams in the top tier, and I wouldn't include Notre Dame until they commit full-time. Notre Dame would become tier 1 when they join the conference.

Tier 2- Virginia Tech(trending evenly), Georgia Tech,(trending down) Clemson(trending up), and MAYBE Louisville(trending up if they finish in the top 10 next year definitely tier 2.) These are top 25 teams, that have been in the BCS the last 5 years. Virginia Tech 2012 Sugar Bowl, 2011 Orange Bowl,2009 Orange Bowl, Georgia Tech 2010 Orange Bowl, Clemson 2012 Orange Bowl, 2012 Chick-Fil-A Bowl win against LSU. Are all 2nd tier ACC teams. Clemson is not first tier Dabo has done a job with Tajh Boyd as his QB, but until he sustains it 2 more years as a top 15 team I wouldn't move them up to the 1st tier especially with that 70-33 loss to WVU. Virginia Tech honestly is 1 big BCS win from going from the 2nd tier to the 1st tier. Georgia Tech struggled the last 2 years, but that BCS from 2010 is still recent enough to keep them in the 2nd tier. Louisville (2013 Sugar Bowl, 2006 Orange Bowl) they have 2 BCS appearances in 7 years, and they pounded #3 Florida from the big bad SEC, and I think they will be a top 5 team this year that will get Boise State'd out of the NC game because their schedule is such a joke, but Louisville another top 10 year and they will be a 2nd tier program, and if Bridgewater stays for his Senior in their 1st ACC year the conference will be stacked for 2014.

Tier 3 North Carolina( trending up 5bowl appearance since 2004) , NC State( trending even 5 bowl appearances since 2004), Pittsburgh( trending up 6 bowl appearances since 2004), Syracuse ( trending up 3 bowl appearances since 2004), Boston College( trending down 7 bowl appearances since 2004), Virginia( trending up 4 bowl appearances since 2004), Wake Forest( trending even 4 bowl appearances since 2004 including 1 BCS appearance). All of these teams have had good and bad years, but all have multiple bowl appearances and this where the ACC needs to improve to get more respect nationally.

Tier 4 Duke( trending up 2 bowl appearance since 1990) Listen David Cutcliffe is doing AN EXCELLENT job rebuilding Duke's football program. He has Peyton and Eli Manning training each offseason at Duke, and has turned your offense into an above average college offense, but until Duke reaches bowl games twice in 4 years I wouldn't move them out of tier 4.Vanderbilt and Stanford have showed Duke can and will become successful if Cutcliffe stays as he has so far. The fact the Manning brothers train there will get Cutcliffe into any QB's home and give him recruiting cache. However, I live in NC and in the September 2010 I was able to go to a double header when I went a noon Georgia Tech-North Carolina noon game at Kenan Stadium, and then had tickets to the 3:30 Alabama-Duke game at Wade-Wallace and by the time I got into Wallace-Wade and found my seat it was 21-0 in the mid-first quarter and that stadium was easily 60% Crimson Tide fans, and I was shocked(Note to Syracuse fans we where playing @Washington and the game wasn't on TV so I enjoyed a NC doubleheader). I am not trying to be disrespectful, and am analyzing objectively but Duke needs a couple more 2012 seasons and they will help the ACC football. I think Duke can be like Vanderbilt and reach bowls more consistently.

I know I should know this, but explain to me why the ACC isn't affiliated with the Chick-Fil-A Bowl anymore? There's 6 bowls in the playoff rotation, but only 3 hosting every year, right? So why wouldn't the ACC retain it in the off years?

That being said, Mark nailed it in terms of locations. Majority of ACC bowl tie-ins are in easy-to-get-to, east coast locations. Great news.

Any of the host bowls that aren't contracted to a matchup (Rose, Sugar, Orange) and aren't part of the playoff that year will be filled by the selection committee. I'm not sure how many "free" spots are available after all the contracted positions are filled. Basically there are 5 conf champions guaranteed spots in these 6 games, plus 4 "more" playoff teams (assuming some will come from guaranteed conf. champs, those will be backfilled by #2 or #3 from those conferences). Add in the cast-offs top rated team and that's 10 of 12 spots each year.

With any of the free spots, the committee will have the ability to select teams based on worthiness/matchup/travel/ability to sell tickets to create a good game.

S0rry, I am combining recent results and history.

Fair enough. I'd characterize my tiers as projections based on performance over the last five years. Before that, Duke surely had sole possession of the bottom rung.

Gator Bowl on Jan 1 vs SEC would be a nice upgrade over Chick Fil-A Bowl on Dec 31 vs SEC. Can't help but wonder what happened to the B1G in the Gator Bowl though. Maybe they figured New Year's Day in Florida with B1G vs SEC was oversaturated? (Outback, Gator, Capital One, all around the same time).

Gator Bowl on Jan 1 vs SEC would be a nice upgrade over Chick Fil-A Bowl on Dec 31 vs SEC. Can't help but wonder what happened to the B1G in the Gator Bowl though. Maybe they figured New Year's Day in Florida with B1G vs SEC was oversaturated? (Outback, Gator, Capital One, all around the same time).
The SEC has gone 7-1 in the last 2 years against the B1G on New Year's Day and the 1 win was a 9-3 Northwestern over 7-5 Mississippi State in last year's Gator Bowl. Gator Bowl will probably take the Chick-Fil-A bowl slot and get ACC #2 vs. SEC #5 which will be the #4 due to probability that the SEC will have atleast 1 playoff team each year.

The B1G has been getting pounded by the SEC on New Year's Day. B1G is 2-4 in their last six Capital One Bowls the wins were a 2 point win by Penn State and Lloyd Carr's last game for Michigan against Tim Tebow Florida. I think the B1G is going to go into the Pinstripe Bowl, Holiday Bowl, keep the Capital One, Outbackbowls against the SEC, and 1 Texas Bowl. so they get pounded less by the SEC.

The SEC has gone 7-1 in the last 2 years against the B1G on New Year's Day and the 1 win was a 9-3 Northwestern over 7-5 Mississippi State in last year's Gator Bowl. Gator Bowl will probably take the Chick-Fil-A bowl slot and get ACC #2 vs. SEC #5 which will be the #4 due to probability that the SEC will have atleast 1 playoff team each year.

The B1G has been getting pounded by the SEC on New Year's Day. B1G is 2-4 in their last six Capital One Bowls the wins were a 2 point win by Penn State and Lloyd Carr's last game for Michigan against Tim Tebow Florida. I think the B1G is going to go into the Pinstripe Bowl, Holiday Bowl, keep the Capital One, Outbackbowls against the SEC, and 1 Texas Bowl. so they get pounded less by the SEC.

The ACC has had good success against the SEC in the Chick-Fil-A bowl. Clemson beat LSU in it last year. It's also been a successful bowl with 15 straight sell outs. We'll miss that one. Hopefully the Gator will be successful too.

Love all the details talk here.

I would like to add one macro comment, however:

Jeezus, ain't it great to be going to a conference that is not only focused on Football but actually does good things to support and build the football cache of the conference?

After reading through thread, it just struck me how purposely inept and feeble the Big East has been with Football...

It's great to see a real conference at work for its member schools - and for SU to be one of those members.

images

Here's the thing: Duke could win the BCS, and they would still max out at 20K. The stadium will only fill when UNC, NCST, Clemson, or VT come in. Yeah, Alabama or ECU works too. The new strategy is to put the rabid Duke fans down where that track is now. I think it will work -- those seats won't be cheap, 'cause they come with flowerboxes in the corners.

Y'all do know about the 1942 Rose Bowl, right?

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122211aab.html