ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte

You know what fits all those criteria? Greensboro. So I take those criteria with a grain of salt. Are they looking to buy their HQ building is that why they want a growing city?

Raleigh is good - it is still close to VA schools and closer still to the best Carolina schools. Seems like a lateral move from where they are at except better airport.

Charlotte - the city with no soul - makes more sense unfortunately. Closer to Clemson and GA Tech. Not in the backyard of the Tobacco Road rivalries which may be a plus. If ACCN is there permanently that makes sense as well. I really love the Charlotte beer scene but can’t think why I’d go for anything else. Even their airport has a nasty wind sheer to it at times that makes takeoff/landing less fun.

If the ACC moves their headquarters to anyplace in North Carolina, I say we force two of the NC schools to move to other states. Four schools in NC is too many. Since Wake has already moved once, and NCSt literally has State in their name, I nominate Duke and UNC. Duke can move to Utica, NY. Having two NY schools would be cool. It’s right down the road, so we can establish a good rivalry. Plus, when the NCAA hands out college basketball tournament sites, we will have a much better chance of playing locally.

UNC can move to Union, New Jersey. It will help to balance the north and the South of the ACC s and they can start a non conference rivalry with Buttgers. Plus, it will be cool to have Carolina Blue all over the Ironbound.

If the ACC moves their headquarters to anyplace in North Carolina, I say we force two of the NC schools to move to other states. Four schools in NC is too many. Since Wake has already moved once, and NCSt literally has State in their name, I nominate Duke and UNC. Duke can move to Utica, NY. Having two NY schools would be cool. It’s right down the road, so we can establish a good rivalry. Plus, when the NCAA hands out college basketball tournament sites, we will have a much better chance of playing locally.

UNC can move to Union, New Jersey. It will help to balance the north and the South of the ACC s and they can start a non conference rivalry with Buttgers. Plus, it will be cool to have Carolina Blue all over the Ironbound.
Kean U is already in Union. I would invert your thinking, primarily because Duke's campus design is based on Princeton and the Duke family lived in NJ. UNC strikes me as more of a MD based Maryland replacement if they are not in eastern PA.

Charlotte-Douglas is a major INTERNATIONAL hub and HQ for American Airlines. It's a top 3-4 financial center and HQ for Bank of America. As per my neighbor who works for ESPN here in CLT, the ACCN will eventually be here permanently, probably as part of a new contract.
There's a continuing rivalry between The Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) and Charlotte. CLT has pro teams in the 2 major sports (Panthers/Hornets) and a healthy number of NE and Midwest transplants- everyone here is from somewhere else.
If the ACC wants a major footprint that'll guarantee viability for the conference for decades to come, you gotta move the HQ to Charlotte. JMHO
This is definitely true. Half of my mother's side of the family now lives in Charlotte and the other half near Myrtle Beach. They were all originally New York/ New Jersey.

Last edited:
Any city in NC will just perpetuate the truth of the Carolina mafia. Get it out of NC. If you didn’t want to be an eastern seaboard conference, then you should never have added the teams you did.

If the ACC is anything like the IOC they will take bribes from cities looking to win the bid for the headquarters. Syracuse needs to put together a bid that can be said no to. ;)

1635352343783.png

Probably Charlotte.
But, I would prefer Northern Virginia - Reston or Fairfax
State has 2 ACC members.
Proximity to Nation's Capital
Proximity to Washington Dulles

Tysons Corner. Midway between DCA and IAD. Home to a bunch of Fortune 500s already. Wouldn't be surprised by a move like this.

It has to be Charlotte. Major airport, growing population, lower operational costs than DC or Atlanta, easy to recruit/relocate staff. Do that then put the referee training facility in Harrisburg PA.

Charlotte is a great choice as long as the ACCT doesn't go there too. It is South of every sizable BBall fanbase.

The football schools likely want the ACCT in ATL but do we care what they think? The Carolina schools want Greensboro. The Old Big East schools want NYC. So DC makes the most sense as no one really gets their way. There are plenty of alumni from each school in the area. It isn't hard to get to. And it is neutral. No team has an advantage.

I rather the conference have one spot for holding all of their championships, but then you are forced to move the headquarters to DC. I hate rotating it too. Tell the Carolina schools they can have Charlotte as the conference base but ACCT has to be DC.

Oddly, Charlotte is the only very large metropolitan area between Washington DC and Atlanta so it makes sense to move there. Greensboro metropolitan area is smaller than Albany, NY. Raleigh/Durham metropolitan area is smaller than Providence.

It has to be Charlotte. Major airport, growing population, lower operational costs than DC or Atlanta, easy to recruit/relocate staff. Do that then put the referee training facility in Harrisburg PA.
All those things apply to Greensboro. Growing population. Lower operational costs. International airport (which is pretty nice and the parking is great). I don’t know how to operationalize easy to recruit staff but it’s a huge developed area around Greensboro so … I’m not buying the criteria as a decision maker.

charlotte to greensboro is like 90 miles ? why spend all that money ? if you're gonna move...MOVE!

Last edited:
All those things apply to Greensboro. Growing population. Lower operational costs. International airport (which is pretty nice and the parking is great). I don’t know how to operationalize easy to recruit staff but it’s a huge developed area around Greensboro so … I’m not buying the criteria as a decision maker.
The ACC has had it's headquarters in Greensboro for about 70 years. Swofford, an NC native, is gone after 25 years.

As with a lot of corporations when they bring in a new guy, who isn't a "local", the new guy often makes the decision to move the headquarters.

How about Richmond? Or the Newport News/Norfolk area?

Maybe Lexington KY because the city is college sports mad but noone there likes Louisville. No bias or anything and affordable.

Yes I would put it in South Bend/Chicago/Indianapolis if ND joined in football.

I don't like Charlotte. Raleigh area is great but SC would be fine. Columbia is close to Clemson (and GT) but I am not sure any ACC fan wants the Tigers to become irrelevant again conference could end up in big trouble if that program falls apart when the next round of musical chairs starts.

Greenville, SC seems like a good spot...

It won't be Raleigh. There are no direct flights from RDU to Syracuse, ND, Louisville, VaTech, UVa, Clemson, or FSU. That's half the conference. Charlotte has all of those covered.
While that may be true, the assumption is that ACC officials will always be flying commercial airlines. I would guess they don't (they aren't right now from Greensboro). They may be utilizing private aircraft for those flights. Also, I don't think anyone will be flying from Charlotte to Clemson. It's like flying from Syracuse to Buffalo.

Although Charlotte provides a major city and also a "neutral site" for Conference Finals in Football and Basketball. While Raleigh/Durham is in the backyard of 3.5 schools, finals would be like playing home games for those teams. ACCN in Charlotte, I guess that's probably where they will end up.