ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte

This is why I think they need to get it out of North Carolina. Lose that damn Tobacco Road image once and for all.

This would make the league more acceptable to Notre Dame if the HQ is in Washington DC, from an image standpoint.

If they ever want to really rope in ND, then the league will not seem such a "Southern" league, as opposed to a "National" one.

Neutral territory. Great transportation. Shared alumni base. Great media center, too.

Where’s the Pac 12 HQ?

Big Ten’s is in… Chicago? I don’t know, I’m guessing.

SEC is in… Atlanta? I have no idea.

Not to be dismissive, but I don’t think the location matters much at all. Most conference meetings take place in hotel suites near random airports, and at seaside resorts with big facilities.

I don’t blame the new Commish for not wanting to live in Greensboro for the next decade, but I’m not sure this is much more than that.

Where’s the Pac 12 HQ?

Big Ten’s is in… Chicago? I don’t know, I’m guessing.

SEC is in… Atlanta? I have no idea.

Not to be dismissive, but I don’t think the location matters much at all. Most conference meetings take place in hotel suites near random airports, and at seaside resorts with big facilities.

I don’t blame the new Commish for not wanting to live in Greensboro for the next decade, but I’m not sure this is much more than that.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have no clue where those other conferences are headquartered either. I’m stunned this generated so much conversation. With that, I bid this thread adieu

Exactly what I was thinking. I have no clue where those other conferences are headquartered either. I’m stunned this generated so much conversation. With that, I bid this thread adieu
Big Ten: Rosemont, IL, plus they have an office in NYC
Pac 12: San Francisco
Big 12: Dallas
SEC: Birmingham, AL

If they ever want to really rope in ND, then the league will not seem such a "Southern" league, as opposed to a "National" one.
if you want to "rope in " ND then cut them out of lacrosse and hoops and other sports til football joins.

Myrtle Beach, over looking the ATLANTIC, as a lark. Yeh, just joking.

Big Ten: Rosemont, IL, plus they have an office in NYC
Pac 12: San Francisco
Big 12: Dallas
SEC: Birmingham, AL

the office is a bit of symbolism, but location of the conf championships is really what matters

The way the money flows today you need an office near the media centers. You may not need your headquarters in the same locale as a satellite will do. A small city is perfect for where you'd do your main HQ because clerical help is a lot cheaper.

Studies have shown the wife of the Chairman of the Board, or Chief Executive, usually make the final choice. They like locales with very active high society activities.

If they can't get significantly more money from ESPN, relocating the ACC headquarters to anywhere is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I think it's going to be Charlotte because of the ACC Network facilities they built there. I don't know where they are in relation to the building that will house the League offices, but I have to think the logistics would have to be better than having the offices in Orlando. Maybe this means the tournament will also leave Greensboro once the current contract is over?

To qualify for the $15 million from the state Department of Commerce, the league would have to remain in the state for 15 years, stage an additional four men's basketball tournaments in the state (including two in Greensboro), an additional four women's basketball tournaments in the state, an additional four baseball postseason tournaments and 20 other postseason tournaments by 2034. Those events are in addition to those already scheduled for North Carolina.

The ACC will host at least 17 postseason conference championship events in the state during the 2022-23 season.

Last edited:

To qualify for the $15 million from the state Department of Commerce, the league would have to remain in the state for 15 years, stage an additional four men's basketball tournaments in the state (including two in Greensboro), an additional four women's basketball tournaments in the state, an additional four baseball postseason tournaments and 20 other postseason tournaments by 2034. Those events are in addition to those already scheduled for North Carolina.

The ACC will host at least 17 postseason conference championship events in the state during the 2022-23 season.

Don't mind more ACCT games in Charlotte. Lots of CNY transplants in NC now anyway.

Don't mind more ACCT games in Charlotte. Lots of CNY transplants in NC now anyway.
We have a saying here in the Queen City, CLT: “Everybody here, is from somewhere else”.
Charlotte is full of nothing but transplants from the NE, Midwest, and elsewhere.
Little known fact but, CLT is the #2 or 3 financial center in the US, with Bank of America hq, Wells Fargo eastern hq,American Airlines hub, etc.
Also, one of the fastest growing cities in the country as well. I’ll say it again: ACC hq is a no-brainer for Charlotte.

Last edited:
We have a saying here in the Queen City, CLT: “Everybody here, is from somewhere else”.
Charlotte is full of nothing but transplants from the NE, Midwest, and elsewhere.
Little known fact, but CLT is the #2 or 3 financial center in the US, with Bank of America hq, Wells Fargo eastern hq,American Airlines hub, etc.
Also, one of the fastest growing cities in the country as well. I’ll say it again: ACC hq is a no-brainer for Charlotte.

Yeah, the growth is amazing. In 1970 Syracuse was larger than Charlotte. Since then, Syracuse grew by 45k and Charlotte grew by more than 1.9 million.

Little known fact, but CLT is the #2 or 3 financial center in the US, with Bank of America hq, Wells Fargo eastern hq,American Airlines hub, etc.
Charlotte just makes sense. Easy nonstop flight from Syracuse on American, which I have like 500,000 frequent flier miles with. So plant every ACC tournament there for all I care.

Yeah, the growth is amazing. In 1970 Syracuse was larger than Charlotte. Since then, Syracuse grew by 45k and Charlotte grew by more than 1.9 million.
The traffic has gotten insane. A lot more people but still the same road infrastructure outside the city where everyone resides.