ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte

Charlotte just makes sense. Easy nonstop flight from Syracuse on American, which I have like 500,000 frequent flier miles with. So plant every ACC tournament there for all I care.

It’s been many years but I used to travel a lot for work. I’ve been in and out of many airports. Charlotte was always my favorite. Loved everything about it. Been too long to remember the name but there was a sports bar I’d sit in during a layover. Several TVs, cold beer and a decent burger.

It’s been many years but I used to travel a lot for work. I’ve been in and out of many airports. Charlotte was always my favorite. Loved everything about it. Been too long to remember the name but there was a sports bar I’d sit in during a layover. Several TVs, cold beer and a decent burger.
Douglas International airport. It’s one of my favorites too.

Its still a great airport gotten so big but still easy to navigate

I know which one you mean, can't recall the name, but I used to hang there connecting from Newport News to SF.

I always pictured you at that intersection between the sushi bar and that wine place.

Big Daddy's Burger Bar.

Not a huge Charlotte fan here, but that place is fantastic.

Big Daddy's Burger Bar.

Not a huge Charlotte fan here, but that place is fantastic.
The food looks nice for an airport restaurant. Heck, it looks nice for any restaurant.

The traffic has gotten insane. A lot more people but still the same road infrastructure outside the city where everyone resides.
Agreed. The City powers-that-be are too reactive, not proactive. By the time they get around to recognizing an infrastructure issue and try to fix it, it’s already too big for what they have in mind. We moved to the Ballantyne area last year, and depending on your timing, it’s either smooth sailing or you’ll find yourself stuck in bumper-2-bumper traffic. That’s almost every neighborhood within 40 miles of Uptown now.

Last edited:

They have those rocking chairs and I think beers were sold like you were buying them from a convenience store can't think of any other airport doing that. In May/June 2020 it was the one hub for everything American with flights cut and had a bunch of layovers there.

Agreed. The City powers-that-be are too reactive, not proactive. By the time they get around to recognizing an infrastructure issue and try to fix it, it’s already too big for what they have in mind. We moved to the Ballantyne area last year, and depending on your timing, it’s either smooth sailing or you’ll find yourself stuck in bumper-2-bumper traffic. That’s almost every neighborhood within 40 miles of Uptown now.
What you're describing is throughout the whole southeast to some extent. I'm seeing it in Knoxville. Not as bad as Charlotte or Atlanta, but it's there.

DC or NYC let's try to get to major metro.
Take away the marble buildings and the politicians and Charlotte is much more of a major metro than DC and way more livable.

It won't be Raleigh. There are no direct flights from RDU to Syracuse, ND, Louisville, VaTech, UVa, Clemson, or FSU. That's half the conference. Charlotte has all of those covered.
That is an issue. I'm always surprised how hard it is to get direct flights here.

If the ACC moved to NY, the southern teams would quit.
Syracuse meets one criteria only - It's in the Eastern Time Zone.

DC or NYC let's try to get to major metro.
NYC, the media capital of the country, would have made a lot of sense. Too much about the conference is already Carolina-centric. It would’ve been good to shift the center of gravity and a statement that the conference represents all of the East Coast. But of course it’s Charlotte. Blah!

It's like moving from one end of the trailer park on Tobacco Rd to the other end! No suprise here
I get the skepticism, but objectively, Charlotte is the smart play.

A move to NYC would be nice in some regards, but it also would create malcontent fodder a majority of the schools, even if it would have been largely baseless.