ACC Network Alert! Roku and YouTube TV access fee dispute. | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Alert! Roku and YouTube TV access fee dispute.

Hoo's That

Living Legend
I just got an e-mail from Roku that they're in a peeing contest over fees with Google about access to YouTube TV. If they can't resolve the dispute you will not be able to access YouTube TV via a Roku device or Roku-enabled TV. That means you will be cut off from the ACC Network and a goodly number of ACC sporting events if the money issue can't be resolved. The options would be to switch to another device like a Firestick for access to YouTube TV or to another carrier via your Roku like Hulu TV which does carry the ACCN.

Truthfully, once I realized that SU wasn't going to publicize anything from the Spring, I dumped the ACC network and will sign up again when Football season starts.

I just got an e-mail from Roku that they're in a peeing contest over fees with Google about access to YouTube TV. If they can't resolve the dispute you will not be able to access YouTube TV via a Roku device or Roku-enabled TV. That means you will be cut off from the ACC Network and a goodly number of ACC sporting events if the money issue can't be resolved. The options would be to switch to another device like a Firestick for access to YouTube TV or to another carrier via your Roku like Hulu TV which does carry the ACCN.

nah you should be able to stream it from your device to your TV with apple air play and before Roku came along you could cable your device to the TV with an adapter and hdmi cable.

Yeah wasn't thrilled to see this.

I do have an old Firestick though, I could make it work that way. It would just be a stupid extra step.

nah you should be able to stream it from your device to your TV with apple air play and before Roku came along you could cable your device to the TV with an adapter and hdmi cable.
depends on if they complain to apple about it.

depends on if they complain to apple about it.
I have a feeling that the other devices like Amazon Firestick are going to get into a fight with Google as well. This is just one battle in a long-term war, possibly ending up with Google selling their own devices. "Get a YouTube TV discount by using the Google device." "Don't be evil," indeed.

Late edit: I just found out Google already sells its own device, Chromecast. They may try to lock out other devices and force you to by a Chromecast for their data collection.

Last edited:
Youtube TV is becoming a PIA... Maybe time to go Fubo or fubu or whatever it's called... First I lost NESN and now this
I bailed on YouTube TV. 1st NESN(3? Cuse games, last year), and then they upped their price by $10 bucks to add channels. Channels are last century. I literally only had it for college football... Easy to say buhhh bye.

Fubu's IT kinda sucked. Buffer city.

Trying to get ahead of this. Anyone have experience with Hulu? How is it for sports?

Trying to get ahead of this. Anyone have experience with Hulu? How is it for sports?
Had Hulu’s basic tv streaming package for last season, included the ACCN.

Awesome. Even think the picture quality was better than Spectrum.

Because it’s streaming though, you may be 10-60 behind depending on your wifi.

Had Hulu’s basic tv streaming package for last season, included the ACCN.

Awesome. Even think the picture quality was better than Spectrum.

Because it’s streaming though, you may be 10-60 behind depending on your wifi.
Did Hulu ever solve their issues with Sinclair? I really liked Hulu's lineup (except no DIY or PBS) . I switched to YTTV in December because I was losing my local CBS (Albany) due to the dispute and with NFL playoffs and college bowls coming up I was not going to mess around. Plus, they had just raised the price. I liked Hulu before all of that.

I have a feeling that the other devices like Amazon Firestick are going to get into a fight with Google as well. This is just one battle in a long-term war, possibly ending up with Google selling their own devices. "Get a YouTube TV discount by using the Google device." "Don't be evil," indeed.

Late edit: I just found out Google already sells its own device, Chromecast. They may try to lock out other devices and force you to by a Chromecast for their data collection.
I use firesticks on my older TVs. It's a little PIA but not terrible. My 2 newer TVs have all of the streaming apps already loaded, so I just watch through those with no external hookups needed, although I did hardwire ethernet to avoid wifi. Xfinity wifi is unreliable even with 5 pods. Ridiculous! I miss my old fios.

Did Hulu ever solve their issues with Sinclair? I really liked Hulu's lineup (except no DIY or PBS) . I switched to YTTV in December because I was losing my local CBS (Albany) due to the dispute and with NFL playoffs and college bowls coming up I was not going to mess around. Plus, they had just raised the price. I liked Hulu before all of that.
Not sure, I dropped cable/live streaming as soon as CFB/CBB and the election ended. I’m picking back up in August.

not sure , but i know they will have nfl network and redzone by august

Really bought into the cord cutting and jumped on YTTV a couple of years ago. At the time I absolutely loved it. Then they raised prices for a package of Viacom channels I have no interest in, dropped the Paramount Network (wife is a Yellowstone fanatic) and dropped YES. Switched over to Hulu Live. Not as good, inconsistent performance, a really glitchy DVR, but did the job. Then they raised price and dropped YES. So I went crawling back to Spectrum on an introductory deal and did it with no boxes, no coax and a silver package that included HBO and Showtime that I was paying separately for. Having some minor issues with the cloud DVR and I know the price will go back up when my intro offer expires in October, but we'l see what the landscape is when the time comes.

Really bought into the cord cutting and jumped on YTTV a couple of years ago. At the time I absolutely loved it. Then they raised prices for a package of Viacom channels I have no interest in, dropped the Paramount Network (wife is a Yellowstone fanatic) and dropped YES. Switched over to Hulu Live. Not as good, inconsistent performance, a really glitchy DVR, but did the job. Then they raised price and dropped YES. So I went crawling back to Spectrum on an introductory deal and did it with no boxes, no coax and a silver package that included HBO and Showtime that I was paying separately for. Having some minor issues with the cloud DVR and I know the price will go back up when my intro offer expires in October, but we'l see what the landscape is when the time comes.
yep when promo expires your going up at least 20 for cable portion(my promo expires end of may and says its going up 20 for spectrum silver and 200 internet (~$156 once promo expires in may)

YouTube TV has sent an e-mail in response:

Our goal with YouTube TV is to offer you the content you love, delivered in the way you want — including on all of your favorite devices. To make this happen, we enter into agreements with partners in order to enable access to YouTube TV via different devices.​
Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Roku. We continue to offer Roku the opportunity to renew the YouTube TV deal under the existing, reasonable terms.​
If you are not currently using Roku, you should not have any issues. For our Roku users, as we send this, you still have access to YouTube TV on Roku devices; however, Roku may choose to remove the YouTube TV app from their devices. We encourage Roku to continue providing the YouTube TV app for our mutual users.​
Should Roku decide to remove the YouTube TV app from their platform, you can still cast to your Roku device from your mobile device, tablet, or computer​

I moved and took the opportunity to try the cord cutting had a couple different ones and have YTTV for the longest now. Prob dropping it soon and going back to cable. YTTV sucks sometimes, watched a DVR BB game recently and it was so pixelated I thought my TV was doubling as a 1990’s crtv. This has happened a few times. Other times I go to fwd 4 mins and it freezes for 10 mins. Lost some basic channels with the switch, lost free HBO/showtime.

I use firesticks on my older TVs. It's a little PIA but not terrible. My 2 newer TVs have all of the streaming apps already loaded, so I just watch through those with no external hookups needed, although I did hardwire ethernet to avoid wifi. Xfinity wifi is unreliable even with 5 pods. Ridiculous! I miss my old fios.
I was given a nearly new Sony from a friend (who was upgrading) with all the apps but I really like my Roku Ultra and still use it over the preloaded apps. The only downer is the Roku remote eats batteries so I switched to rechargeable AAs but I love the headset input.

Here are a couple links on getting more from your TV. BTW, these get into some grey areas of legality but might help you get an SU game that is blacked out. I'm not into jailbreaking firesticks etc...but you decide for yourself. I don't mind paying for streaming but can't stand the constant fights between the companies.

An article worth reading

This is interesting (secret channels) and I'm going to try a few out over the next few weeks.

It's less about money this time: Article snippet and link to article below:

"Those asks, according to Roku, included access to sensitive customer data and an apparent commitment from Roku to support AV1 decoding in future products. That requires extra hardware that Roku maintains could increase the cost of its devices. Roku also says that Google is trying to have changes made to Roku’s search feature, an assertion that Google has strongly denied."

I moved and took the opportunity to try the cord cutting had a couple different ones and have YTTV for the longest now. Prob dropping it soon and going back to cable. YTTV sucks sometimes, watched a DVR BB game recently and it was so pixelated I thought my TV was doubling as a 1990’s crtv. This has happened a few times. Other times I go to fwd 4 mins and it freezes for 10 mins. Lost some basic channels with the switch, lost free HBO/showtime.
Interesting. I’ve had zero issues in that regard with YouTubeTV.

To me, it’s an extremely high quality service.

My issue is it lost channels I care about, added ones that I don’t, and jacked the prices way up from where they were when I first got it. The bang for your buck factor is no longer there.