ACC Network Extra debuts tomorrow | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Extra debuts tomorrow

supp said:
Can someone explain why SU and BC have significantly fewer appearances on here than any other team in the conference? Should I care?

Noticed that as well. Not a lot of SU games on that schedule. Not a single SU field hockey game, I believe, FWIW.

I guess this is why it will pay to have a guy like Wildhack as AD.

Noticed that as well. Not a lot of SU games on that schedule. Not a single SU field hockey game, I believe, FWIW.

We have to start winning some games.

Briancuse said:
I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. The schedule is mainly men's and women's soccer and volleyball. SU men's soccer certainly good enough.

Briancuse said:

We've done quite well in a lot of sports that are not football. We should be on more.

We've done quite well in a lot of sports that are not football. We should be on more.

I am just talking about it from a football perspective, we need to start winning games for people to take us seriously and give us airtime.

No worries fellas. Duke and Carolina are well represented...so it's all good

Can someone explain why SU and BC have significantly fewer appearances on here than any other team in the conference? Should I care?
If this is how things are going to be long term, it will be very disappointing. The digital network should have close to equal appearances for all schools. Even for Pitt, who has awful Olympic programs across the board.

Probably some sort of NC mafia passive aggressive move vs Wildhack

I wonder if it's related to facilities. Are there enough production facilities at/near Manley to broadcast live games?
I agree that Wildhack is the right person to address this.

I wonder if it's related to facilities. Are there enough production facilities at/near Manley to broadcast live games?

I agree that Wildhack is the right person to address this.
I think you are right about facilities/equipment.

Time Warner has been broadcasting soccer games for many years. They have televised a few field hockey games and volleyball too. But I am quite sure that was all done with Time Warner equipment.

From what I have seen, it looked like TW would televise a game with a couple of cameras, two announcers and a production van in the parking lot with a satellite dish. Bare bones budget.

The students have Citrus TV and the Orange Television Network, they are shown on campus and given lots of airtime on Time Warner. But all of those shows, to my memory anyway, are studio based. I suspect they don't currently have the ability to be mobile and televise sporting events.

The rapid rollout of the network might have caught Syracuse by surprised. I don't think they were prepared for this.

The other thing is, I thought SU had a contract with all tier 3 SU content with Time Warner. Is it possible TW Sports still owns all the tier 3 rights so not of it is eligible for coverage on the new network?

Regardless, 354 events and not one game played at Syracuse is scheduled to be televised?

Not good.

I hope this changes soon. Giving the Newhouse students chances to do live remote broadcasts of sporting events would be, I would think, invaluable. The Olympic program need all the exposure they can get.

Someone get this done.

Last edited:
red headed yankee step children. cash your check and know your place
You guys should be thrilled that the UNC powerbrokers even let you on at all. It's why I hate this conference.

Regardless, 354 events and not one game played at Syracuse is scheduled to be televised?

Not good.
Not entirely true... (yes, it's true for the non-revenue sports)

We've got some football games that will hit "The Extra", namely Colgate and USF.

I think you are right about facilities/equipment.

Time Warner has been broadcasting soccer games for many years. They have televised a few field hockey games and volleyball too. But I am quite sure that was all done with Time Warner equipment.

From what I have seen, it looked like TW would televise a game with a couple of cameras, two announcers and a production van in the parking lot with a satellite dish. Bare bones budget.

The students have Citrus TV and the Orange Television Network, they are shown on campus and given lots of airtime on Time Warner. But all of those shows, to my memory anyway, are studio based. I suspect they don't currently have the ability to be mobile and televise sporting events.

The rapid rollout of the network might have caught Syracuse by surprised. I don't think they were prepared for this.

The other thing is, I thought SU had a contract with all tier 3 SU content with Time Warner. Is it possible TW Sports still owns all the tier 3 rights so not of it is eligible for coverage on the new network.

Not good.

I hope this changes soon. Giving the Newhouse students chances to do live remote broadcasts of sporting events would be, I would think, invaluable. Someone get this done.
Maybe someone here could ask their 'contacts' what the real reason is... and if there are plans to rectify it. :noidea:

sutomcat said:
I think you are right about facilities/equipment. Time Warner has been broadcasting soccer games for many years. They have televised a few field hockey games and volleyball too. But I am quite sure that was all done with Time Warner equipment. From what I have seen, it looked like TW would televise a game with a couple of cameras, two announcers and a production van in the parking lot with a satellite dish. Bare bones budget. The students have Citrus TV and the Orange Television Network, they are shown on campus and given lots of airtime on Time Warner. But all of those shows, to my memory anyway, are studio based. I suspect they don't currently have the ability to be mobile and televise sporting events. The rapid rollout of the network might have caught Syracuse by surprised. I don't think they were prepared for this. The other thing is, I thought SU had a contract with all tier 3 SU content with Time Warner. Is it possible TW Sports still owns all the tier 3 rights so not of it is eligible for coverage on the new network. Regardless, 354 events and not one game played at Syracuse is scheduled to be televised? Not good. I hope this changes soon. Giving the Newhouse students chances to do live remote broadcasts of sporting events would be, I would think, invaluable. Someone get this done.

I don't think it's a matter of facilities/ equipment. Friend of mine who worked for ESPN said that SU had everything in place to produce programming for Olympic sports. Newhouse students could produce most of the events. Gonna have to check back with him to see if there's an issue.

I found one Field Hockey game in October and of course it is an away game as is every SU game on that schedule no matter the sport.

I don't think it's a matter of facilities/ equipment. Friend of mine who worked for ESPN said that SU had everything in place to produce programming for Olympic sports. Newhouse students could produce most of the events. Gonna have to check back with him to see if there's an issue.
That could be. I haven't seen them use it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It would be really odd for Newhouse not to have the ability to do live sports. Really odd.

There is a lot of content produced by the students. Everything I have seen has been studio shows though. You can see them trying to imitate ESPN sets, transitions, graphics, etc. It looks like would I would imagine the Czech TV version of ESPN would look like except it is in English and the on air talent all looks 18 years old.

That could be. I haven't seen them use it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It would be really odd for Newhouse not to have the ability to do live sports. Really odd.

There is a lot of content produced by the students. Everything I have seen has been studio shows though. You can see them trying to imitate ESPN sets, transitions, graphics, etc. It looks like would I would imagine the Czech TV version of ESPN would look like except it is in English and the on air talent all looks 18 years old.

I went back and found the article from 2014 when the ACC made an announcement about carrying Olympic sports. Seems not much has changed as all the games were away games for SU then also.

8/12/2014 11:16:00 AM
GREENSBORO, N.C. - Three Orange teams will make a total of six appearances on ESPN3 as part of the Atlantic Coast Conference's Olympic sports fall broadcast package. The league's media rights holders will distribute at least 122 live events, including the SU women's soccer team's Oct. 9 match at Florida State, the men's soccer team's Oct. 25 game at NC State and four Orange volleyball matches.

Highlights of the upcoming broadcast schedule include:

• 122 games, totaling 223 school appearances – the highest count in history for ACC fall Olympic sports.
  • All 122 ACC fall contests will appear on an ESPN network, including six televised on ESPNU and 116 carried on ESPN3. All ESPN coverage will also be available on the WatchESPN mobile app.
  • Sixteen games will be also be broadcast on the league's regional sports networks (RSN), which include FOX Sports Carolinas, FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Indiana, Sun Sports, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, NESN, YES, ROOT SPORTS, and MSG.

In addition to the 122 events announced by the ACC Tuesday, other games may be added as the start of each respective season draws closer.

2014 Syracuse Fall Sports Broadcast Schedule
Date Sport Event Platform
Sept. 28 Volleyball Syracuse at North Carolina ESPN3
Oct. 9 W. Soccer Syracuse at Florida State ESPN3
Oct. 24 Volleyball Syracuse at Georgia Tech RSN/ESPN3
Oct. 25 M. Soccer Syracuse at NC State ESPN3
Oct. 31 Volleyball Syracuse at Louisville ESPN3
Nov. 23 Volleyball Syracuse at Florida State ESPN3

I went back and found the article from 2014 when the ACC made an announcement about carrying Olympic sports. Seems not much has changed as all the games were away games for SU then also.

GREENSBORO, N.C. - Three Orange teams will make a total of six appearances on ESPN3 as part of the Atlantic Coast Conference's Olympic sports fall broadcast package. The league's media rights holders will distribute at least 122 live events, including the SU women's soccer team's Oct. 9 match at Florida State, the men's soccer team's Oct. 25 game at NC State and four Orange volleyball matches.

• 122 games, totaling 223 school appearances – the highest count in history for ACC fall Olympic sports.
  • All 122 ACC fall contests will appear on an ESPN network, including six televised on ESPNU and 116 carried on ESPN3. All ESPN coverage will also be available on the WatchESPN mobile app.
  • Sixteen games will be also be broadcast on the league's regional sports networks (RSN), which include FOX Sports Carolinas, FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Indiana, Sun Sports, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, NESN, YES, ROOT SPORTS, and MSG.

In addition to the 122 events announced by the ACC Tuesday, other games may be added as the start of each respective season draws closer.

Date
Sport Event Platform
That makes me think the contract SU signed with Time Warner Sports for Tier 3 content precludes SU from showing any Tier 3 content on other networks.

If this is true, I wonder how long the contract is for?

I bet BC has a similar situation...

Date
Sport Event Platform
Hey CL, I emailed Carlson to find out what was up here. You should send him this...