ACC Network Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is possibly an uneducated rant...
Based on what we know, and who we already see as carriers, I’m irritated. I pay for cable and have all espn channels available including goal line. Up to this point we’ve had accn extra via the app. Now we’re getting the accn to most if not all sources eventually, and yet we’ll still have to subscribe to espn+ in order to watch our first game?
Please correct me if I’m wrong. But that just feels like I’m being bent over.

Based on what we know, and who we already see as carriers, I’m irritated. I pay for cable and have all espn channels available including goal line. Up to this point we’ve had accn extra via the app. Now we’re getting the accn to most if not all sources eventually, and yet we’ll still have to subscribe to espn+ in order to watch our first game?

You left out the part where everyone is taking the 7 day free trial offer of ESPN+, and cancelling after the game is over. Won't cost a dime.

You left out the part where everyone is taking the 7 day free trial offer of ESPN+, and cancelling after the game is over. Won't cost a dime.
Oh I hear that. But how many times is this going to happen? Many I’m guessing.

How many times are we going to play AT Liberty, or some other off-the wall school whose only TV contract is with ESPN+?
Here's the thing. The home team always controls the TV rights. As OX says, Liberty's contract with ESPN only gets them on ESPN+, so you're stuck with ripping off the ESPN+ free trial method to get that game. I did this year it to see UVa play at Princeton in lacrosse. I'm assuming that your cable package includes the BTN. If it didn't, you would have had to go through a lot of gyrations to watch SU play Maryland in College Spark if it wasn't slated to be on ESPN because the B1G controls the rights to that game.

Here's the thing. The home team always controls the TV rights. As OX says, Liberty's contract with ESPN only gets them on ESPN+, so you're stuck with ripping off the ESPN+ free trial method to get that game. I did this year it to see UVa play at Princeton in lacrosse. I'm assuming that your cable package includes the BTN. If it didn't, you would have had to go through a lot of gyrations to watch SU play Maryland in College Spark if it wasn't slated to be on ESPN because the B1G controls the rights to that game.
Correct I do. As well as sec. both have many channels.
As someone who wants to cut the cord, I want to know if I pay for espn, will I get the accn?

As someone who wants to cut the cord, I want to know if I pay for espn, will I get the accn?
It may depend on how you access ESPN. One access point may get you the ACC Network while another may not. You'd probably have to check the websites to find the right access point.

It may depend on how you access ESPN. One access point may get you the ACC Network while another may not. You'd probably have to check the websites to find the right access point.
Example. I choose YouTube tv. If they don’t pick up accn, and I sign up for espn+, do I get it?

Think the other way around. Choose a provider with ACCN. They'll all have ESPN packages. I'm hoping for Sling. Paid 20/month last year(Raised to $25). ESPN/ACC extra in the base, and I paid $5 for SEC/ESPN+ . Happy to pay $5 more for ACCN.

ESPN+/U was included with SEC, as well as stadium(g5, Ivies). Love having the ACCN available with the other 2 - for 5$. That'll get me Liberty, likely Holy Cross, Every ESPN, ESPN2, ACCN and ACCn extra. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I'll gladly pay for accn if it's easy to get and streams well. If not then I'll use Reddit like I have for the past 5years and not missed a game.

Think the other way around. Choose a provider with ACCN. They'll all have ESPN packages. I'm hoping for Sling. Paid 20/month last year(Raised to $25). ESPN/ACC extra in the base, and I paid $5 for SEC/ESPN+ . Happy to pay $5 more for ACCN.

ESPN+/U was included with SEC, as well as stadium(g5, Ivies). Love having the ACCN available with the other 2 - for 5$. That'll get me Liberty, likely Holy Cross, Every ESPN, ESPN2, ACCN and ACCn extra. Fingers crossed.
I was complaining to ATT/DirecTv last week about another issue, I must have done well as I got more money off my bill, but the sad thing is the rep didn't have a clue about the ACCN or what channel would carry it. :rolleyes:

I was complaining to ATT/DirecTv last week about another issue, I must have done well as I got more money off my bill, but the sad thing is the rep didn't have a clue about the ACCN or what channel would carry it. :rolleyes:

I've had DirecTV since 2001, and have done this practically every year to get a discount of sorts. About a couple of months back, I called them and got $60/month off my bill plus free HBO for 3 months. Now, I will say this year was harder than ever because they are finally getting their customers switched to their own (AT&T) systems and billing, or what they refer to as "RC 1 Accounts." vs. "Legacy." I had to deal with a bunch of transferring, repetitiveness, internal confusion, etc. to ultimately get to the right personnel. It was a huge pain in the arse and quite frustrating. Hopefully, yours went much smoother. :)

I've had DirecTV since 2001, and have done this practically every year to get a discount of sorts. About a couple of months back, I called them and got $60/month off my bill plus free HBO for 3 months. Now, I will say this year was harder than ever because they are finally getting their customers switched to their own (AT&T) systems and billing, or what they refer to as "RC 1 Accounts." vs. "Legacy." I had to deal with a bunch of transferring, repetitiveness, internal confusion, etc. to ultimately get to the right personnel. It was a huge pain in the arse and quite frustrating. Hopefully, yours went much smoother. :)

They were already giving me $47/month off my bill for a year. The rep just offered another $20/month for a year off the bill out of the blue. Must have been my glowing personality. Or it could be that I have been with DirecTv since the 90's and ATT is my internet provider.

They were already giving me $47/month off my bill for a year. The rep just offered another $20/month for a year off the bill out of the blue. Must have been my glowing personality. Or it could be that I have been with DirecTv since the 90's and ATT is my internet provider.
Can you call Spectrum for me? ;)

Can you call Spectrum for me? ;)

I used to call Time Warner every year and say I was cutting back on my service. They always hooked me up with the best "new subscriber" offer they had - usually including phone even though I did not have a landline device! Called this year and they told me if I wanted to save any money I would have to get rid of my DVR or cut HBO / Showtime. Been going against the grain for years but looks like cord cutting time is right around the corner.

Dumb question - is ACC Network going to available if you have ESPN+ ?

I used to call Time Warner every year and say I was cutting back on my service. They always hooked me up with the best "new subscriber" offer they had - usually including phone even though I did not have a landline device! Called this year and they told me if I wanted to save any money I would have to get rid of my DVR or cut HBO / Showtime. Been going against the grain for years but looks like cord cutting time is right around the corner.

I used to do the same with Spectrum but had a similar experience in that they seem to have drawn a hard line against doing that anymore.

ACCN extra was part of the base Sling Package. ESpnU/+ was an add on.
Maybe what I should have asked is if I have accn on whatever platform, will all the accn extra be available to me via espn app still.

Beats me...ACCN extra is not ACCN. Sling was ACC friendly to me, last year. There is $$ involved. I may rethink my position. I'm a degreed CPU programmer/network engineer. I chose the craft side. Many streaming problems are on the users end. (double check with a PM) We should wait about 60 day's, until we figure out the $$ exchange. Then we figure out the network solutions. They are there.

FWIW. I helped out with the Nimitz Class USS Reagan navigation systems. In the end, My best friend, and roomie, is responsible. I was ahead of him on kernel engineering, at the time, so there's a little bit of me in that. Proud of that one, from my youth... ;-) I'm disturbed because I've worked on many military secure networks, and they still rely on vacuum tubes. Don't scoff. In the time since, I've learned why every military base has a vacuum tube based, in a faraday cage, based comm system. EMP has no effect. Hope the analog contractor on the Reagan got it right... Important. I have ten's of thousands invested in vacuum tube guitar amps...

Larger point? There's a lot to your network. Like the military, Mine is back to light bulbs. It's not as complicated as you think.
My two main takeaways from this post are:
1. You know more about computery stuff than I do

And...

2. Your ACCN access can survive a direct blast from the GoldenEye satellite.

Status
Not open for further replies.