ACC Network Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just wonder if there are days with 3-4 games at any single time, they wont all be on the ACC tv system, the b10 and sec channels dont do that now so i wouldnt expect the ACC to do it either.

Good point. Maybe there's a regional selection process for broadcasts ... so that when SU plays they show the game in SU prime viewing areas. Not sure. Another question is ... what about the 3rd tier programming that Charter kicked to the curb - the coaches shows, Syracuse Sidelines, Syracuse 60, etc... Those were great shows with good analysts ... Rosie, Adam Terry, Andre' Fontinette, etc... hosted by Brian Higgins. For all its failings TWC was a good 3d tier partner to the U. Charter ... zeropointzero.

Those will be on the ACC Network.

Unfortunately, the new network is being filled with personalities from the South.

Those will be on the ACC Network.

Unfortunately, the new network is being filled with personalities from the South.

No word on spectrum yet?

YouTube TV gets me almost every Syracuse FB and BB game. I DVR all of them (no limit) and can rewatch them, whenever.

The issue that ACCN should help with is when the CW picks up a BB game locally resulting in a blackout on YouTube TV. VPN can help with that but can be a pain.

Not the case in Albany area... Especially for bball.

Any of the games that Raycom had primary rights on got blacked out on espn+ here.

I have a powered HD antenna too, but I don't get my TV 4 (raycom channel) and YTTV doesn't have it.

I have a vpn on my laptop so would still get espn+ to work connecting thru TX or CO and casting to my tv via chromecast.

Pita tho...

Can't wait to see the end of the Raycom games...

Good point. Maybe there's a regional selection process for broadcasts ... so that when SU plays they show the game in SU prime viewing areas. Not sure. Another question is ... what about the 3rd tier programming that Charter kicked to the curb - the coaches shows, Syracuse Sidelines, Syracuse 60, etc... Those were great shows with good analysts ... Rosie, Adam Terry, Andre' Fontinette, etc... hosted by Brian Higgins. For all its failings TWC was a good 3d tier partner to the U. Charter ... zeropointzero.

And the number one corporate sponsor of Cuse Athletics. Spectrum's donor profile? 0.0

Been told there will be coach's shows and highlight programming to look forward to.

And the number one corporate sponsor of Cuse Athletics. Spectrum's donor profile? 0.0

Been told there will be coach's shows and highlight programming to look forward to.
I hope that's true - heard the same rumor, to be produced by Newhouse. That is fine with me. It's a pleasure seeing talented students learning the system and using SU's amazing facilities. Unfortunate about Spectrum - but there are always going to be irresponsible companies looking to take advantage of a monopoly cash cow. It's the PSC's job (and the governor's) to ween out the bad apples and regulate the cable industry properly. The PSC has been taken for a ride by Charter.

Anyway, aside from my rant about that, upperdeck asks a legitimate question about the ACCN - with at least 6 games being played on a given Saturday (or multiple games on Monday/Wed. for BB), will the broadcasts be divided regionally so we can see SU play? That would seem to be a no-brainer .. but I've learned not to take anything for granted.

SU - AD has a "media rights" person (recently hired, I think). He'd be an interesting guest for CC, no?!

Last edited:
I hope that's true - heard the same rumor, to be produced by Newhouse. That is fine with me. It's a pleasure seeing talented students learning the system and using SU's amazing facilities. Unfortunate about Spectrum - but there are always going to be irresponsible companies looking to take advantage of a monopoly cash cow. It's the PSC's job (and the governor's) to ween out the bad apples and regulate the selected cable companies properly. The PSC has gotten taken for a ride by Charter.

Anyway, aside from my rant about that, upperdeck asks a legitimate question - with multiple games being playing on a given Saturday (or Monday/Wed. for BB), will the ACCN divide the games regionally so we can see SU play? That would seem to be a no-brainer .. but I've learned not to take anything for granted.

SU - AD has a "media rights" person (recently hired, I think). He'd be an interesting guest for CC, no?!

Scott Hecht? Been there Done that. ;)

Anyway, aside from my rant about that, upperdeck asks a legitimate question about the ACCN - with multiple games being played on a given Saturday (or Monday/Wed. for BB), will the NW allow us to see SU play? That would seem to be a no-brainer .. but I've learned not to take anything for granted.

ACC games are still going to be broadcast on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU

The ACCN will have 3 broadcast windows on Saturdays for FB (Noon, 3:30, 7:00) and potentially 4 windows for BB. There will be 7:00 and 9:00 BB games on Monday and Wednesday.

I believe that since the ACCN is only replacing Raycom, the RSN package (YES, MSG, etc...) is still in play.

And any game that gets left out will be available on ESPN3 streaming.

In theory, there should be no more blackouts, and every game should be watchable.

I hope that's true - heard the same rumor, to be produced by Newhouse. That is fine with me. It's a pleasure seeing talented students learning the system and using SU's amazing facilities. Unfortunate about Spectrum - but there are always going to be irresponsible companies looking to take advantage of a monopoly cash cow. It's the PSC's job (and the governor's) to ween out the bad apples and regulate the selected cable companies properly. The PSC has gotten taken for a ride by Charter.

Anyway, aside from my rant about that, upperdeck asks a legitimate question about the ACCN - with multiple games being played on a given Saturday (or Monday/Wed. for BB), will the NW allow us to see SU play? That would seem to be a no-brainer .. but I've learned not to take anything for granted.

Football games are too precious to ESPN and the ACC to not be covered live on a linear network. I do not believe they will ever sell football inventory to Raycom or regional sports networks for distribution. ESPN is going to show the games live and leverage their investment in the ACC as best they can.

I think we will see 3, sometimes 4 games a week on the ACCN and they will be staggered, with a games sometimes on a Thursday night and pretty much always games on Saturdays at noon, 4 pm and 7:30 pm, just like the SEC does now.

ACC games are still going to be broadcast on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU

The ACCN will have 3 broadcast windows on Saturdays for FB (Noon, 3:30, 7:00) and potentially 4 windows for BB. There will be 7:00 and 9:00 BB games on Monday and Wednesday.

I believe that since the ACCN is only replacing Raycom, the RSN package (YES, MSG, etc...) is still in play.

And any game that gets left out will be available on ESPN3 streaming.

In theory, there should be no more blackouts, and every game should be watchable.
Thank you, OE/TC/Consig. I thought the RSN consisted of legacy contracts that would be allowed to expire. If the RSN is going to continue - that's not good news ... unless the contract terms have been tightened up so that: 1) the purchaser can't just sit on the rights and is REQUIRED to broadcast the game; and 2) the purchaser is REQUIRED to send the feed to a channel widely available in SU's prime viewing area. We've been burned before on both of these ... (MSG2, etc.)

Last edited:
Thank you, OE/TC/Consig. I thought the RSN consisted of legacy contracts that would be allowed to expire. If the RSN is going to continue - that's not good news ... unless the contract terms have been tightened up so that: 1) the purchaser can't just sit on the rights and is REQUIRED to broadcast the game; and 2) the purchaser is REQUIRED to send the feed to a channel widely available in SU's prime viewing area. We've been burned before on both of these ... (MSG2, etc.)
I haven’t read this anywhere, do not know it as a fact but I do not agree with OX on this.

I think as with football, ESPN is not going to sell any of their inventory to regional sports channels, at least not for men’s basketball. I don’t see any evidence the SEC does this and the ACC basketball inventory is clearly more valuable and attractive than the SEC.

I think the only way SU plays on a RSN from this point forward in football or basketball is for OOC games played in th opponent’s facility.

But I could be wrong.

SEC announces men's basketball television schedule

I haven’t read this anywhere, do not know it as a fact but I do not agree with OX on this.

I think as with football, ESPN is not going to sell any of their inventory to regional sports channels, at least not for men’s basketball. I don’t see any evidence the SEC does this and the ACC basketball inventory is clearly more valuable and attractive than the SEC.

I think the only way SU plays on a RSN from this point forward in football or basketball is for OOC games played in th opponent’s facility.

But I could be wrong.

SEC announces men's basketball television schedule

Every week last season, there was at least 1 football game farmed out to an RSN. Sometimes more than 1.

Granted, since the new ACCN will have 3 windows to fill every Saturday, chances of a game being sold to an RSN moving forward are slight, but I think the option is still there if necessary.

This was Week 2 last season. All 14 ACC teams were in play:

DmlFWFEUUAAFmrD.jpg

5 games on ESPN's family.
1 game on BTN
1 game on RSN
1 game on Raycom
6 games on streaming only.

When everyone plays OOC games the same week, we may have more inventory than windows.

Every week last season, there was at least 1 football game farmed out to an RSN. Sometimes more than 1.

Granted, since the new ACCN will have 3 windows to fill every Saturday, chances of a game being sold to an RSN moving forward are slight, but I think the option is still there if necessary.

This was Week 2 last season. All 14 ACC teams were in play:

DmlFWFEUUAAFmrD.jpg

5 games on ESPN's family.
1 game on BTN
1 game on RSN
1 game on Raycom
6 games on streaming only.

When everyone plays OOC games the same week, we may have more inventory than windows.
Agree the ACC used to use RSNs )though I think it was Raycom selling content they had bought).

Agree RSNs would love to continue to show ACC football and basketball games. But I think ESPN bought all those rights back for a reason. They wanted and got exclusivity to ACC controlled premium content and I don’t see them selling it. Pretty sure I heard or read something to that effect.

Might have been Wildhack, talking about the blackout problems that have plagued ACC fans with Raycom and the RSN content.

I guess we will find out soon.

Since I am old fashioned and pay for FiOS there are always spillover games on the ESPN Extra channels. Don't see what that won't change.

id think there will be an acc alternate channel like sec has especially for the basketball games. Football is supposedly around 40 games 2 to 3 a week

I had the same understanding - that ESPN bought back the rights except one or two legacy contracts (Fox). As OX points out, it's still unclear how the ACCN is going to show all the games (at least 6 every Sat. and as many as 14+ if all ACC teams happen to be playing OOC). But Raycom's gone and I don't think there's another RSN distributor taking its place - precisely because ESPN has all the rights. This is surmise on my part.

espn, abc espn and 2 will still have acc games every week

I had the same understanding - that ESPN bought back the rights except one or two legacy contracts (Fox). As OX points out, it's still unclear how the ACCN is going to show all the games (at least 6 every Sat. and as many as 14+ if all ACC teams happen to be playing OOC). But Raycom's gone and I don't think there's another RSN distributor taking its place - precisely because ESPN has all the rights. This is surmise on my part.
The biggest hurdle that held up getting the ACCN going was getting back the inventory the ACC had sold to Raycom. Raycom re-sold some games to RSNs, which complicated matters. I believe the ACC was able to get everything back.

The biggest hurdle that held up getting the ACCN going was getting back the inventory the ACC had sold to Raycom. Raycom re-sold some games to RSNs, which complicated matters. I believe the ACC was able to get everything back.

That is my understanding also.

I have a powered HD antenna too, but I don't get my TV 4 (raycom channel) and YTTV doesn't have it.

I have a vpn on my laptop so would still get espn+ to work connecting thru TX or CO and casting to my tv via chromecast.

Pita tho...

Can't wait to see the end of the Raycom games...

Antenna amplifier. They don't increase what you can receive. Coax has inherent loss, so you calculate the loss in the coax, and use that size amplifier. It's not like a stereo. Bigger is not better.(it will add noise to the signal and ruin it) There are online calculators. I had 50ft coax, 1 splitter? Can't remember, but 13 db loss. So 13 db amp. It doesn't give more channels, just keeps you from losing them..because of the coax.

8 bay bow tie antennas work quite well. The little ones that look like Ray guns are a joke, unless you are within 25 miles. Don't believe their 150 mile advertising. Maybe on the moon, in a vacuum, not in reality. Size here matters.

raycom is still producing because they still have the infrastructure and the trucks. Still while it would be nice that every game gets shown on national, i would be surprised given that no other league has that happening now and with 10+ games in play every week is there really space.. is ESPn giving up broadcasting all the other leagues in those windows ? the ACC isnt getting every window when they still have to put all the other big games on too..

I like these guys for antenna equipment. They have experts on call to help you select the antenna, too.

Solid Signal

This antenna is my favorite for medium to long range in a smaller profile. I like it because it holds up better in wind and ice than the old style antennas.

Antennas Direct ClearStream 4 HDTV Antenna With J-Mount (C4-CJM) from Solid Signal

They have updated the one above but I can't comment on it but looks good.

Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V VHF UHF HDTV Antenna (C4-V-CJM) from Solid Signal

Also remember an antenna rotor might be necessary:. Trying to pull in stations from different cities. Or the antenna farms in you town are geographically separated.

Raycom will still be involved in the production of games for the ACCN.
How sad. I am fascinated with the reverence many ACC fans have for Raycom.

A lot of people really liked them and were genuinely sad when their days doing broadcasts of ACC games ended.

Of course, some others hated them and hated the last deal the ACC did with them, which cost all ACC schools many millions of dollars by delaying the start of the ACCN.

I can only assume many ACC fans have no idea what a good broadcast of a football or basketball game should look like. Really hoping Raycom's role in the ACCN is limited. Tasks they are well qualified for, like converting old VHS tapes to digital format, entering descriptions for old broadcasts into a searchable database,, sweeping the floor, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.