ACC Network Talk | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Talk

One of the regulars -- and a pretty reliable guy -- is saying on the Georgia Tech Scout forum that this is the week the ACC Network gets announced. Can you confirm Arb?

One of the regulars -- and a pretty reliable guy -- is saying on the Georgia Tech forum that this is the week the ACC Network gets announced. Can you confirm Arb?

It's also going to be really interesting to see how the ACC Digital Network develops in all this. Here is an article from earlier this month on it.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...he-way-for-online-content-in-college-athletic

The ACC is leading the way among all conferences in fan interest in the ACC Digital platform. A lot of the detractors calling for the demise of the ACC laughed at the ACC-YouTube announcement and other announcements around the ACC Digital Network over the past year. These numbers in this article show that people are actually looking at the content. This should help with selling the TV Channel too.

Sounds like ESPN and the ACC get it.

How Netflix CEO Reed Hastings Sees the Future: Netflix Wins, Apps Win and So Do HBO, ESPN and the Cable Guys
  • The one new nugget here is a Hastings prediction, held by many other people, that we’re moving to a world where “apps replace channels.” Hastings mentions apps nearly 3 dozen times in his essay, and makes it clear that he sees Netflix first and foremost as an app provider.
  • Hastings figures that lots of other video services will figure the same thing out. And he goes out of his way to mention others that are already there or close to it, citing ESPN, HBO and the BBC.
  • But those who don’t get it are screwed, he says: “Existing networks, such as ESPN and HBO, that offer amazing apps will get more viewing than in the past, and be more valuable. Existing networks that fail to develop first-class apps will lose viewing and revenue.”
http://allthingsd.com/20130424/how-...ps-win-and-so-do-hbo-espn-and-the-cable-guys/

If you are in the content business and don't look to non-cable delivery - you're behind.

The other conferences better get on that. Cable as we know it is dying. I'm glad the ACC is on the frontline.

It's also going to be really interesting to see how the ACC Digital Network develops in all this. Here is an article from earlier this month on it.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...he-way-for-online-content-in-college-athletic

The ACC is leading the way among all conferences in fan interest in the ACC Digital platform. A lot of the detractors calling for the demise of the ACC laughed at the ACC-YouTube announcement and other announcements around the ACC Digital Network over the past year. These numbers in this article show that people are actually looking at the content. This should help with selling the TV Channel too.

I can't get into this thread too much, but I do like to help edumucate my SyracuseFan.com friends on media issues when I get the opportunity.

This line from that piece... "Alexa.com is regarded as one of the top traffic ranking websites out there."... is hysterical. Alexa data is steaming garbage.

If you ever see someone referencing that data, leave the article immediately.

I did.

so do the huge numbers of people who dont live near cable or high speed ISP's just get ignored in all this app delivery methodology? in reality most of NY state does not have an infrastructure that can handle the bandwidth to deliver channels this way.

so do the huge numbers of people who dont live near cable or high speed ISP's just get ignored in all this app delivery methodology? in reality most of NY state does not have an infrastructure that can handle the bandwidth to deliver channels this way.

My guess is that if ESPN/ACC are aggressive, they could have a digital network up and running... charging a monthly and/or yearly fee by basketball season. Make that the priority and work on the traditional TV network in parallel. I assume a traditional TV network will take longer to work out.

what?

what?

Seconded.

What the heck are you talking about? Where in NY State can't you get high speed broadband access? The % of the population that might affect has to be low single digits.

The population centers all have many options. I live in the middle of nowhere (20 min from Cortland) and I can stream all kinds of stuff on the TW basic setup.

Streaming OVD/VOD is the future and development is moving at warp speed. Every major and mid level provider – and all the app developers in between – are signing up to develop for their platforms, ipods, iphones, tablets, ipads, etc etc etc.

My job involves breaking down a lot of college baseball video, so I have seen a lot of what these conferences offer stream-wise.

Baseball is obviously unique when it comes to streaming (since you need to put more into equipment, such as a CF camera), but some observations I have are this:

1) Individual schools are the driver to streams. Everyone knows there is a SEC Network, but each SEC school has their own streams of every home game available on their home site. Where these streams help the SEC Network is via ESPN3 (which the ACC also does) and allows a number of baseball games to be televised there each weekend.

2) As it relates to the Pac-12 network, they online stream every game that has a feed. They did this by getting teams that had in-house video systems (Stanford is a good example) and moved them from one medium (cstv.com/allaccess) to another (Pac-12 network). Big 10 does something similar (they use to call it Student U, but now they just broadcast about 20+ additional baseball games on the Big Ten Digital Network).

3) As it relates to other schools, most tend to utilize cstv for their online feeds, as you can signup for a subscription to everyone who has a feed for around 15 dollars a month. Not sure what type of revenue they get, but I am sure it is less then if they do it in house.

The driver in all streams is ESPN3, IMO. There was a recent announcement that ESPN3 will televise all 16 college baseball regionals, which is unheard of. They are, IMO, looking to have a massive presence with ESPN3 and looking to snap up as many rights in order to stop others from getting in on it.

Not sure if anyone really cares about this type of stuff, but figured I would pass along some personal experience in dealing with a variety of conferences and streaming video.

T

For getting the network started and on the basic cable tiers I think the ACC can be successful. The ACC owns 2 of the top 10 states in the country and 2 of the biggest growing states in Virginia and North Carolina. I also think Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Miami get an ACC network into Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. So I think the ACC network starts with those 5 states for sure, I think Syracuse can get CNY and with UNC, Duke, SU, ND basketball fans and the fact I believe BTN will get on NYC I think the ACC network can get on in NYC as well.

Pitt doesn't get the whole state of PA, but brings in Western PA cable boxes. Louisville will be able to get Kentucky IMO espically with their basketball success and Teddy Bridgewater and co. are going to be real good for the next couple of years. Can Boston College get the ACC network in New England? I don't know, but that is what Swofford gets paid to deal with. I honestly think with this GOR and the winter, spring inventory the ACC Network can offer outside of just football in the fall gives its a strong chance to succeed.

Exc article...good ammo to use against the haters.

haters-gonna-hate-batman-rollerblading.jpg

One of the regulars -- and a pretty reliable guy -- is saying on the Georgia Tech forum that this is the week the ACC Network gets announced. Can you confirm Arb?
There are two parts to the answer...and I am being careful. The SEC Network is being announced by ESPN and Slive on Thursday, May 2nd. This is the SEC/ESPN week.
HOWEVER, the ACC Network is moving quickly to fruition...at least in relative terms of how long it took for the PAC 12 and SEC networks. The good news is that it is going to be here within a reasonable and important due date...so holding your breath may be too short...but....I will be back to the board soon with more information.
This board has a very good handle and understanding of what is taking place...just another reason why it is good to be 'Cuse!

My job involves breaking down a lot of college baseball video, so I have seen a lot of what these conferences offer stream-wise.

Baseball is obviously unique when it comes to streaming (since you need to put more into equipment, such as a CF camera), but some observations I have are this:

1) Individual schools are the driver to streams. Everyone knows there is a SEC Network, but each SEC school has their own streams of every home game available on their home site. Where these streams help the SEC Network is via ESPN3 (which the ACC also does) and allows a number of baseball games to be televised there each weekend.

2) As it relates to the Pac-12 network, they online stream every game that has a feed. They did this by getting teams that had in-house video systems (Stanford is a good example) and moved them from one medium (cstv.com/allaccess) to another (Pac-12 network). Big 10 does something similar (they use to call it Student U, but now they just broadcast about 20+ additional baseball games on the Big Ten Digital Network).

3) As it relates to other schools, most tend to utilize cstv for their online feeds, as you can signup for a subscription to everyone who has a feed for around 15 dollars a month. Not sure what type of revenue they get, but I am sure it is less then if they do it in house.

The driver in all streams is ESPN3, IMO. There was a recent announcement that ESPN3 will televise all 16 college baseball regionals, which is unheard of. They are, IMO, looking to have a massive presence with ESPN3 and looking to snap up as many rights in order to stop others from getting in on it.

Not sure if anyone really cares about this type of stuff, but figured I would pass along some personal experience in dealing with a variety of conferences and streaming video.
Great post. Thanks for the info.

Digital may be the wave of the future, but untill it gets more secure Cable boxes are where the money is. Online stuff is to easy to steal (you can get ESPN3 for free from Europeon sites, etc). Netflix only recently started to turn a profit and even they admit they are dealing with millions of dollars in thefts.

Digital and cable need to go hand in hand for the near future for the ACC Network to take off. Cable boxes bring in the money, Digital bring in the eyes.

Seconded.

What the heck are you talking about? Where in NY State can't you get high speed broadband access? The % of the population that might affect has to be low single digits.

There still is an issue in getting broadband Internet in rural locations, believe it or not.

A recent report says that about 15% of rural America still lacks access to broadband (3 MBPS is the standard they are using, not ultra high speeds like 25-50 MBPS like most of us get - so they are calling a DSL line broadband). That equals about 15 million people or 5% of the total US population.

While 1 in 20 in all of America doesn't seem that bad, 15% is roughly 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 of rural families. When they talk about non-broadband in this sense, we are talking about dial-up connections.

T

For getting the network started and on the basic cable tiers I think the ACC can be successful. The ACC owns 2 of the top 10 states in the country and 2 of the biggest growing states in Virginia and North Carolina. I also think Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Miami get an ACC network into Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. So I think the ACC network starts with those 5 states for sure, I think Syracuse can get CNY and with UNC, Duke, SU, ND basketball fans and the fact I believe BTN will get on NYC I think the ACC network can get on in NYC as well.

Pitt doesn't get the whole state of PA, but brings in Western PA cable boxes. Louisville will be able to get Kentucky IMO espically with their basketball success and Teddy Bridgewater and co. are going to be real good for the next couple of years. Can Boston College get the ACC network in New England? I don't know, but that is what Swofford gets paid to deal with. I honestly think with this GOR and the winter, spring inventory the ACC Network can offer outside of just football in the fall gives its a strong chance to succeed.

A couple of thoughts come to mind here. My first post was about what the ACC Digital Network has been doing. But someone earlier posted what Raycom has been doing with Broadcast Stations signing up for the ACC Network. I imagine the interest is more for basketball games than football games, but I don't know that. It's just a guess. But the point is that since Raycom has gone outside the ACC footprint, they have had great success signing affiliates to show games that ESPN doesn't show.

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2...l#!/2012/09/acc-network-tv-coverage-maps.html

Consistent with what you are saying, holes in the Northeast still exist in much of Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and much of New England. But there has been good progress in New York State even before Syracuse comes on board. I think even though Maryland is leaving, there will be stations there still showing ACC Basketball. Perhaps some of this will translate to the Cable Channel. The number of broadcast stations signed up in SEC, Big Ten, Big XII, and PAC 12 areas today is somewhat a surprise.

It also reiterates possible potential further consideration of UConn or perhaps Temple, who we've discussed to address some of these Northeast holes. Penn State obviously would be better than Temple if they were ever available. And we've already discussed the issues UConn created for itself with the ACC, but I'm wondering if they can help with New England and even NYC some. Temple would be just for the Philly area. I don't think Pittsburgh will generate a whole lot of interest there. Temple might not either. Yikes! Could this network push us past 16? Then we'd be working toward 20. That's getting really big. But TV Networks change the overall thinking.

A couple of thoughts come to mind here. My first post was about what the ACC Digital Network has been doing. But someone earlier posted what Raycom has been doing with Broadcast Stations signing up for the ACC Network. I imagine the interest is more for basketball games than football games, but I don't know that. It's just a guess. But the point is that since Raycom has gone outside the ACC footprint, they have had great success signing affiliates to show games that ESPN doesn't show.

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2...l#!/2012/09/acc-network-tv-coverage-maps.html

Consistent with what you are saying, holes in the Northeast still exist in much of Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and much of New England. But there has been good progress in New York State even before Syracuse comes on board. I think even though Maryland is leaving, there will be stations there still showing ACC Basketball. Perhaps some of this will translate to the Cable Channel. The broadcast stations signed up in SEC, Big Ten, Big XII, and PAC 12 areas today is somewhat a surprise.

It also reiterates possible potential further consideration of UConn or perhaps Temple, who we've discussed to address some of these Northeast holes. Penn State obviously would be better than Temple if they were ever available. And we've already discussed the issues UConn created for itself with the ACC, but I'm wondering if they can help with New England and even NYC some. Temple would be just for the Philly area. I don't think Pittsburgh will generate a whole lot of interest there. Temple might not either. Yikes! Could this network push us past 16? Then we'd be working toward 20. That's getting really big. But TV Networks change the overall thinking.

PA is never going to be ACC turf without Penn State that is pretty obvious, but Pittsburgh will bring the Western part of the state which has a decent population, and while Pitt isn't huge they aren't a no-name and will bring a portion of that region to an ACC network. Eastern PA and Philadelphia is gone for the ACC and it won't become ACC turf nor will it become B1G turf as Philly is a pro-sports town first and the B1G will never be big there, but Penn State will have that state locked down. I am dating a Penn State grad from Haddenfield, PA which is a burb of Philly and that region is all pro sports, but watches Penn State football only.

I also think that Maryland will still have fans of ACC basketball, and while they will watch Terps basketball primarily, but they will watch to root against Duke/North Carolina in ACC games. I think that if Providence, RI which the heart of Big East country has an ACC network affiliate then Washington D.C. with Virginia Tech, Virginia still in the conference will remain atleast half ACC turf, and I think Baltimore will find an CW type local affiliate to get easy programing for the fall/winter and will maintain an affiliation with the ACC.

UConn is never going to be added as we discussed because of the lawsuit, but they would lockdown CT the state and would help get an ACC network in NYC due to their basketball team. The rest of New England would depend on the sport, college basketball may get some interest in ACC basketball, but college football is not important AT ALL in RI, MA, NH, VT, ME. Those states are all sports suburbs of tge Boston professional teams IMO, and if Boston College is decent they can help, but Boston is never going to be a BC town they are behind the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins by a long margin and unless they are good won't get any coverage.

The ACC network needs to lockdown NC, VA, SC, GA, FL, WNY, CNY will be brought back SU, NYC will need the BTN to get on for the ACC to have a chance, Western PA, KY, some of New England will be needed to make good profits. Also, I would hope ESPN/ACC would work on getting the Directv, Dish onboard as well like they are for BTN. If Notre Dame ever joins full-time in 10 years the conference will have a lot more leverage to get its network national as the entire country loves to hate or root for Notre Dame.

Seconded.

high speed is 6mb. most DSL will never support that nor support streaming if that was the full time method of distribution. if you have TW RR you can get 20mb in many cases. that wont support a full digital load either. you need to be in a fiber backbone that support closer to 60-80mb consistent to handle the load this will put on a system.

I am involved in the last mile project with the state. in my town 50% have zero internet. many towns around here have zero internet for the entire town. until they build out a wireless network i will never have cable or high speed internet. i am 15 min from cortland and Ithaca so not really that far out from the city.

There still is an issue in getting broadband Internet in rural locations, believe it or not.

A recent report says that about 15% of rural America still lacks access to broadband (3 MBPS is the standard they are using, not ultra high speeds like 25-50 MBPS like most of us get - so they are calling a DSL line broadband). That equals about 15 million people or 5% of the total US population.

While 1 in 20 in all of America doesn't seem that bad, 15% is roughly 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 of rural families. When they talk about non-broadband in this sense, we are talking about dial-up connections.

How many of those people have digital cable vs over the air?

Y
high speed is 6mb. most DSL will never support that nor support streaming if that was the full time method of distribution. if you have TW RR you can get 20mb in many cases. that wont support a full digital load either. you need to be in a fiber backbone that support closer to 60-80mb consistent to handle the load this will put on a system.

I am involved in the last mile project with the state. in my town 50% have zero internet. many towns around here have zero internet for the entire town. until they build out a wireless network i will never have cable or high speed internet. i am 15 min from cortland and Ithaca so not really that far out from the city.

You're in the über minority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom