ACC Network | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network

Todd23

Walk On
I'm sure the ACC Network has been discussed ad nauseam here, but I am going to bring it up...

My cable company is not carrying the ACC Network. It seems like the only way to watch it (which includes many Syracuse games) - even the online portion - is to have it as part of your TV package. Because of that, I will likely need to switch TV providers.

I would like to keep my cost for internet/cable no higher than where it currently is (~$150/month). Any insight on what I should change to? (if I drop cable, my internet cost alone will be about $80/month).
- DirecTV
- Dish
- An online platform like Sling, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.

I welcome any insight that can be shared. Thanks!

Lots of good info in these threads.

I'm sure the ACC Network has been discussed ad nauseam here, but I am going to bring it up...

My cable company is not carrying the ACC Network. It seems like the only way to watch it (which includes many Syracuse games) - even the online portion - is to have it as part of your TV package. Because of that, I will likely need to switch TV providers.

I would like to keep my cost for internet/cable no higher than where it currently is (~$150/month). Any insight on what I should change to? (if I drop cable, my internet cost alone will be about $80/month).
- DirecTV
- Dish

I assume you are a Comcast customer. The easiest migration path would probably be to keep Comcast (or Frontier or whoever you have) as your Internet provider and add YouTube TV, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, etc to provide your TV. I believe YouTube TV is about $50 a month and appears to offer the best deal these days.

That should save you some money and give you good value for your money.

I assume you are a Comcast customer. The easiest migration path would probably be to keep Comcast (or Frontier or whoever you have) as your Internet provider and add YouTube TV, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, etc to provide your TV. I believe YouTube TV is about $50 a month and appears to offer the best deal these days.

I’m in the same boat. Let me know when you make a decision. I may add YouTube for a month or two while I decide what to do.

Not Comcast. Service Electric, which is a relatively small, regional cable company. Thanks for the insight on YouTube TV.

My biggest concern is about how to get the stream on additional TVs and if I would then use too much data in a month and have to go up to the higher priced internet tier from Service Electric. But I will certainly look into that as an option.

Right now in the Virginia market, Verizon FiOS internet is being offered at $39.99/month for 100Mps. (You can get 300 Mps for $59.99). Maybe it's available for that where you live. Supposedly, 25 Mps is enough for 4K video, so unless your house is full of kids playing Halo while you're watching the game, that should be enough speed. There's an additional fee for the router, but you can buy a better one than your ISP rents to you, and it will pay for itself in a year, or so, depending on the one you buy. Mesh would be a different story. Sling (Orange + Sports package), Hulu, YouTube TV, and PS Vue will run $35 to $50 a month, and they all have the ACCN.

Last edited:
Not Comcast. Service Electric, which is a relatively small, regional cable company. Thanks for the insight on YouTube TV.

My biggest concern is about how to get the stream on additional TVs and if I would then use too much data in a month and have to go up to the higher priced internet tier from Service Electric. But I will certainly look into that as an option.

I know with Youttube TV, you can stream from multiple devices at the same time. I believe you can do at least 3 concurrently. Get some fire sticks or Rokus if you don’t already have them, make sure you have a good wireless router (I agree with Cav your best bet is to buy a good one instead of leasing one from the cable company). Then you can watch TV anywhere you have a signal. Out in the garage, in the kitchen, in the attic.

YouTube TV also allows you to DVR shows and I believe you have unlimited space. Not a bad solution.

100Mps is more than almost anyone needs.. gaming doesnt take much on top of whatever videos people are streaming..

how many people here are using 4K i wonder? havent made that leap yet just not enough content to make it an added value.

I dropped Comcast cable and kept internet only. I currently have Hulu Hulu with Live TV – More than just Live TV for $45/mo. I bought a Roku streaming stick $35 or 40 and a Mohu Leaf 50 mile antenna (works great) $35 or 40 for local. I really don't need the Mohu because Hulu has all of the local channels but it's good if the internet goes out. Hulu base live tv has most of the Espn channels, ACCN, SEC, BTN etc.

- DirecTV
- Dish

Was a DirecTV customer for 15 years. STAY AWAY from them now. ATT has absolutely screwed that company up. Went from great quality and awesome customer service to the exact opposite. If you have to go Satellite choose Dish. Fios is the way to go if you have access to it.

I dropped Comcast cable and kept internet only. I currently have Hulu Hulu with Live TV – More than just Live TV for $45/mo. I bought a Roku streaming stick $35 or 40 and a Mohu Leaf 50 mile antenna (works great) $35 or 40 for local. I really don't need the Mohu because Hulu has all of the local channels but it's good if the internet goes out. Hulu base live tv has most of the Espn channels, ACCN, SEC, BTN etc.
hulu doesnt have all the locals though

CW, MeTv, PBS. comet, charge. Laff, TBD, Bounce, MyNetwork, IOn

PBS being the big one for most.

The ACC seems to have worked, overtime, to screw this up for its fans!

grossincompetencegiphy.gif

No idea what you are talking about but I enjoy the ACC Network and the additional programming provided.

Assuming he means the fact that the network isn’t available a lot of places, most notably on Comcast, which has a lot of subscribers. But that’s not the ACC’s fault.

hulu doesnt have all the locals though

CW, MeTv, PBS. comet, charge. Laff, TBD, Bounce, MyNetwork, IOn

PBS being the big one for most.

The Mohu antenna or something similar will pick all the locals with a very clear picture. Hulu gets most locals by me. Just another option to get the ACCN. I've had Sling, DirectTVNow which AT&T bought and Hulu now. Each has pluses and minuses.

The Mohu antenna or something similar will pick all the locals with a very clear picture. Hulu gets most locals by me. Just another option to get the ACCN. I've had Sling, DirectTVNow which AT&T bought and Hulu now. Each has pluses and minuses.
Additionally, and I don't know if this is still true, but there was a time when over-the-air broadcasts were at higher resolutions than cable signals. Presumably, this was so cable providers could make HD an add-on feature. Also, for a neglible sum, you can make your own high def antenna with a piece of wood and a couple of coat hangers, and it works amazingly well. You can find instructions on YouTube

Additionally, and I don't know if this is still true, but there was a time when over-the-air broadcasts were at higher resolutions than cable signals. Presumably, this was so cable providers could make HD an add-on feature. Also, for a neglible sum, you can make your own high def antenna with a piece of wood and a couple of coat hangers, and it works amazingly well. You can find instructions on YouTube

Good point. The on air signals are not compressed and are higher resolution.

This was posted in the Virginia forum back in August. I believe this is an updated version from the past two weeks, or so. If you haven't made any decisions, it may be a helpful overview.

I finallly made good on my declaration that I was getting rid of cable earlier this year. Wish I had done it sooner. YTTV was a good solution for me.

I get all the locals (Phila market) except PBS, which is available on its own app. So no antenna needed.
Sports programming is very good. ACC, Big Ten, SEC, MLB, NBA, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers, etc, etc, etc. In addition (and this is probably most important for out of towners) you can sign in to the ESPN app with your YTTV info. This gets you access to games only on ESPN3 or ACC digital. You shouldn't miss anything, including exhibition games. You can also get Lax games this way.

As mentioned above, unlimited DVR. It will, however save your recordings for "only" 9 months. After that they disappear. I have not experienced this, but read about it while researching.

Picture quality is good. Cable is better for sure, but as someone who has worked tech in television for over 30 years, it's not that much better. A good streaming device is essential. Apple TV, Roku and Fire all fit the bill. The Apple TV remote can be frustrating when interfacing with YTTV for a variety of reasons.

Hope this helps. Make the leap. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
No idea what you are talking about but I enjoy the ACC Network and the additional programming provided.
Many Cuse fans, living within the confines of the ACC haven't been able to get the football games using the network. With today's technology; this should work better for everyone, on the east coast, at least.

Sounds like there are still negotiations going on between ESPN and Comcast. Maybe something could still happen on that front before basketball season starts.

Sounds like there are still negotiations going on between ESPN and Comcast. Maybe something could still happen on that front before basketball season starts.

Hope so. But I’m not waiting. Gonna add YouTube in the meantime.

Many Cuse fans, living within the confines of the ACC haven't been able to get the football games using the network. With today's technology; this should work better for everyone, on the east coast, at least.
Sounds like you have a cable provider who doesn't carry which is more of a problem with your cable provider and not the ACC Network. My suggestion would be find a provider who does carry the ACC Network like a Direct TV or add one of the streaming options who does. The new channel works out quite well for most people on the East Coast as it is added content and devoted solely to the ACC.

Been on YouTube TV now for about a month and not looking back. I pay $56.99 a month including Showtime as an add-on. Unlimited cloud DVR is a great feature but the interface is a bit clunky. Shows stay in your library for nine months whether you watched them or not so you can;t easily see a queue of what you have saved. Minor inconvenience though. You can have up to 5 "family" accounts for that price but only 3 can be active at a time. The family accounts are supposed to be in your household but I'll bet some unscrupulous customers add their son in Rochester on for example and get him free tv.

Includes all the ESPN networks including ACC, SEC, and B1G Ten network, MLB, NBA and most of the regional sports networks including YES.

Currently missing PBS (supposed to be coming soon), Paramount, Hallmark Channel (but wofe says there is another Christmas movie channel) and most importantly NFL Network.

They offer a one week free trial - try it out then cut the cord.

One think I noticed with my Spectrum package. Originally I was paying something like $100 for TV and $40 for internet. When I cancelled TV I saw they reallocated to $80 for TV and $60 for internet - an obvious ploy to protect revenue as many were cutting the cord. Spectrum also has a streaming service for $29 with unlimited cloud DVR that gets you all local channels plus your choice of ten cable networks but they don;t seem to publicize that until you cancel cable. Assume most cable providers have something similar.

If you have a "Smart TV" do you still need the additional itermediary (ie. Apple TV or Roku?) for YTTV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom