ACC Pro Football Hall of Fame | Syracusefan.com

ACC Pro Football Hall of Fame

SkyTopBus44

Starter
They were just discussing the ACC and pro football hall of fame on the acc network. Miami with Edgerrin James now ties Pitt with the most in conference with 9. We are in second with 8. Big dropoff from there and I can’t recall the order. Clemson has 1 which surprises me,

Thought it was cool that the old Big East has the most for the conference. I know dinosaurs used to roam the earth but it speaks to our history and tradition. Go Orange

Miami - Florida (9) Ted Hendricks , Michael Irvin , Edgerrin James , Jim Kelly , Cortez Kennedy* , Ray Lewis , Jim Otto , Ed Reed , Warren Sapp

Pittsburgh (9) Jimbo Covert , Mike Ditka , Chris Doleman , Tony Dorsett , Russ Grimm , Rickey Jackson , Dan Marino , Curtis Martin , Joe Schmidt

Syracuse (8) Jim Brown , Larry Csonka , Al Davis* , Marvin Harrison , Floyd Little , John Mackey , Art Monk , Jim Ringo

Miami - Florida (9) Ted Hendricks , Michael Irvin , Edgerrin James , Jim Kelly , Cortez Kennedy* , Ray Lewis , Jim Otto , Ed Reed , Warren Sapp

Pittsburgh (9) Jimbo Covert , Mike Ditka , Chris Doleman , Tony Dorsett , Russ Grimm , Rickey Jackson , Dan Marino , Curtis Martin , Joe Schmidt

Syracuse (8) Jim Brown , Larry Csonka , Al Davis* , Marvin Harrison , Floyd Little , John Mackey , Art Monk , Jim Ringo

Why does Al have an asterisk? Did he not graduate from Syracuse? Or are we only mentioning guys who played?

Why does Al have an asterisk? Did he not graduate from Syracuse? Or are we only mentioning guys who played?

* Denotes player went to multiple schools

Davis graduated from high school in January 1947, immediately enrolling at Wittenberg College in Springfield, Ohio at age 17. The school had recruited Davis, though it did not extend him a scholarship. He spent a semester there, occupying himself with baseball and plans to transfer to a higher-profile school. In mid-1947, he transferred to Syracuse University. Although Davis repeatedly tried out for the various varsity teams, the height of his athletic career at Syracuse was warming the bench for the junior varsity baseball team. Frustrated by this, he briefly transferred to Hartwick College, also in New York State, in 1948, but soon returned to Syracuse.

* Denotes player went to multiple schools

Davis graduated from high school in January 1947, immediately enrolling at Wittenberg College in Springfield, Ohio at age 17. The school had recruited Davis, though it did not extend him a scholarship. He spent a semester there, occupying himself with baseball and plans to transfer to a higher-profile school. In mid-1947, he transferred to Syracuse University. Although Davis repeatedly tried out for the various varsity teams, the height of his athletic career at Syracuse was warming the bench for the junior varsity baseball team. Frustrated by this, he briefly transferred to Hartwick College, also in New York State, in 1948, but soon returned to Syracuse.
Wow, I thought it indicated owner/non-player since Ralph Wilson has an asterisk and he made it for being the founding owner of the Bills and involved with the formation of the AFL.

Wow, I thought it indicated owner/non-player since Ralph Wilson has an asterisk and he made it for being the founding owner of the Bills and involved with the formation of the AFL.

He also attended both Michigan and Virginia. ;)

Not true. There are some undeserving players in hall. Especially at QB

Heck just look at the list. There are two names that stick out to me.

Ricky Jackson
At the time they all played together, IMO he was the 3rd best LB on the Saints behind Swilling and Mills. Jackson was very good for a long time but was he ever great?

Jim Kelly
He and McNabb are very similar.