ACC Refereeing | Syracusefan.com

ACC Refereeing

It's not us. It's very difficult to beat a North Carolina team in North Carolina. Always been that way. And if as a ref you don't understand that, you don't get to work those games.

I don't bitch about the zebras. But there was an agenda in this game. Pascal and marek were taken completely out of the first half on touch fouls allowing Zion to go off against Sidibe. It wasn't in the Friday night Espn script to have Cuse play UNC with Zion healthy. And K kept the starters in to the final horn still jacking up threes. F the ACC, we will never get a fair shake down there. Proud of our kids without tyus taking it to them.

I don't bitch about the zebras. But there was an agenda in this game. Pascal and marek were taken completely out of the first half on touch fouls allowing Zion to go off against Sidibe. It wasn't in the Friday night Espn script to have Cuse play UNC with Zion healthy. And K kept the starters in to the final horn still jacking up threes. F the ACC, we will never get a fair shake down there. Proud of our kids without tyus taking it to them.

I'm not going to disagree with that. But I'll also add Marek and PC haven't gotten any smarter on D all year. I like them, but they still made the same dumb fouls last night and tonight they've been making all year. They set themselves up to get squeezed.

Those were play ons. Not like the non calls against Duke in the last 8 minutes after Buddy hit the shot to get us close. JMO. We weren't suppose to be in the big telecast. Never seen JB bitch so much.

I'm not going to disagree with that. But I'll also add Marek and PC haven't gotten any smarter on D all year. I like them, but they still made the same dumb fouls last night and tonight they've been making all year. They set themselves up to get squeezed.
yeah i mean they gotta be smarter but they just arent.

zion screaming and 1 on every shot attempt was annoying af though...

Without Bolden they took out our bigs to even it up. Paschal gets hosed on so many blocks. Marek puts himself in spots to get called for chippies. We were up and looking good until they both got 2. Then a few dunks and we looked dazed. It ruined our whole gameplan when they both got sent off early. Deep down we all knew that getting UNC/Duke III with Zion was going to happen unless we won comfortably. Our guys get hammered with no calls while touch fouls are called against us all game.

Without Bolden they took out our bigs to even it up. Paschal gets hosed on so many blocks. Marek puts himself in spots to get called for chippies. We were up and looking good until they both got 2. Then a few dunks and we looked dazed. It ruined our whole gameplan when they both got sent off early. Deep down we all knew that getting UNC/Duke III with Zion was going to happen unless we won comfortably. Our guys get hammered with no calls while touch fouls are called against us all game.
This is all true

but as a ref you have to admit what you saw was blatant favoritism no? I want the truth from you... these guys are on the take and you know it.

Officiating is bad all over. Duke and UNC get calls and I think that is because of Roy and K. I don't think the stripes give JB the same respect, but that is just life. PC is hurt because he can't get out of his own way and refs today have a hard time officiating 7 footers. For every bad call Marek and PC get they add to their problems with 2 dumb fouls a game.

Refs and coaches dominate the sport.

We play a style of basketball that leads to a lot of non aggressive (or as a wise man once said nickel dimers) fouls calls. Cheap stuff you learn as kids not to commit. UNC comes at you downhill and they get so many benefits from that style.

Plenty of games in the previous conference with Marquette, UL, etc pushing and slapping all game long. I almost get Zion being such a freak that refs don't know how to call him.

We play a style of basketball that leads to a lot of non aggressive (or as a wise man once said nickel dimers) fouls calls. Cheap stuff you learn as kids not to commit. UNC comes at you downhill and they get so many benefits from that style.

Plenty of games in the previous conference with Marquette, UL, etc pushing and slapping all game long. I almost get Zion being such a freak that refs don't know how to call him.

Yes to all of this.

Want SU to get calls? We should play with tempo and purpose. We play slow and soft.

The refs and the league office aren’t out to get us. Some of you are ridiculous.

To be fair about the officiating...the Orange got away with some non-calls on travels by Marek and Buddy and Frank's "trip." Also at least one wrong call and maybe two on charges that Marek drew.

That said, ACC officiating is not exactly first rate... as it should be.

Yes to all of this.

Want SU to get calls? We should play with tempo and purpose. We play slow and soft.

The refs and the league office aren’t out to get us. Some of you are ridiculous.

Why would playing with "tempo and purpose" lead to a decrease in fouls called on defense?

To be fair about the officiating...the Orange got away with some non-calls on travels by Marek and Buddy and Frank's "trip." Also at least one wrong call and maybe two on charges that Marek drew.

That said, ACC officiating is not exactly first rate... as it should be.
Thought the refs abused us in the first half. Thought we got some breaks in the second.

Why would playing with "tempo and purpose" lead to a decrease in fouls called on defense?

If we're always aggressive the occassional reaches and bumps blend into the game, like the teams we play against.

Heck watch those old Melo games. Dude hooked guys constantly and never got called.

Is it naive to think that the foul should be called on the player who initiated the contact?

My issue is the inconsistency and I do not think the referees are out to get us but everyone has unconscious bias, it is how we are made and is not debatable. Every time Zion even touched the ball a foul was whistled. We did not get the same benefit of the doubt. Carey and Oshae both took the ball in multiple times without a call. Duke hand checks and pushes all game without calls. Trea Jones should have fouled out twice

but as a ref you have to admit what you saw was blatant favoritism no? I want the truth from you... these guys are on the take and you know it.

"On the take" means you think they're being paid to throw the game. So to answer your question, no I don't know that.

There's a lot of truth in that. Teams that play better get the benefit of the officiating because it's the territory that comes with playing better. They score more points, get more rebounds and turnovers, and yes fewer fouls because they're making a lot more good plays than weak ones. Duke won last night because they played better overall perimeter defense and interior offense. Specifically, our ball handlers could not exceed their on-ball defense, and in basketball that's a real problem.

Last edited:
There's a lot of truth in that. Teams that play better get the benefit of the officiating because it's the territoty that comes with playing better. They score more points, get more rebounds and turnovers, and yes fewer fouls because they're making a lot more good plays than weak ones. Duke won last night because they played better overall perimeter defense and interior offense. Specifically, our ball handlers could not exceed their on-ball defense, and in basketball that's a real problem.

Referees tend to call what seems unusual. When you play aggressively, they call what seems beyond that. When you play passively, they call any contact. You can have a game where the number of foul calls is similar but the game isn't called evenly because what was a foul on one end is not a foul on the other end. Also they don't want to be seen to impact the contest by fouling out an entire line-up or by making the game a parade to the foul line, so the more aggressive teams gets called less for the same activity.

I'm not a fan of the ACC either, and didn't especially like the move to join them. But the Big East had devolved into little more than pro wrestling, so something had to be done. It's still better basketball than the rock fights. But in reality, we just traded in one set of problems for another. It'll be another generation before Syracuse is accepted as something more than an interloper.

I dont think the refs are out to get us. But we are not getting many calls as well. I just think they are very inconsistent from one end of the court to the other. It always seems that if we just touch a player, it is a foul, meanwhile, Tre Jones mugs and feels up opposing players like they were freshmen coeds and gets labeled greatest on-ball defender in all the land. This reputation he received as a great defender is a joke and benefits him. No way could the guy all the pundits say is the best defender commit a foul, it had to be clean defense. Just like Jordan never traveled during his career. Same goes for Virginia and their pack line D. Their reputation helps them get the benefit of the doubt on close calls or no calls.

Oshae has taken 70 less free throws this year than last season, while only taking 100 less shots from the field. Imo, he has been just as aggressive, if not more due to his 3ball not being worthy this season. He gets hacked in nearly every drive, yet rarely goes to the line. The not getting calls has led to many swings in the opponent's favor. We should be at the line, instead the opponent is heading the other way with the ball and momentum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom