ACC Winter Meetings: Whispers-Whispers Everywhere | Syracusefan.com

ACC Winter Meetings: Whispers-Whispers Everywhere

arbitragegls

All Conference
See Alsacs post on going to nine football games...couple with Swofford discussing a better way to select CCG teams...to this:

In the upcoming Winter Meetings the ACCNetwork will be discussed. One of the key points that is presently making the rounds is that the ACC BBall is far better than the SEC's and other conferences...and BBall provides a significantly greater number of games to watch than football. Bball has easily 3X more games than football and as such can provide more viewing and content for an ACCNetwork than football can. Now when compairing the ACC to the SEC it is being thought that ACC football is better than SEC BBall and ACC BBall is as good as the SEC Football...and which game provides more content...bball.

Additionally, if the ACC goes to 9 football games, more content would be available and the SOS would be enhanced...think of FSU playing Florida, Notre Dame, and other P5 teams out of conference...The ninth game may seem to hurt Notre Dame from thinking about joining the ACC--except their is a proposal to go to 13 regular season football games...that would give Notre Dame sufficient other games to meet their scheduling needs of Navy, Stanford, and rotation of two other...

Disccussion of 2015 dollas will come up...and it appears that the coffers of each team will be between $21-$23,000,0000 for media payments...not including the take from the New Championship Series...and not including NEWWork dollars...

Winter Meetings will:
1. Provide a good read on the ACCNetwork--I expect it to move forward and look for it launchin in 2016-2017;
2. Nine game conference schedule same timing or even a year before than above--205-2016
3. ACC/ESPN further solidfying their partnership...and do not rule out a WWE potential format for the ACC NETWork as part of a TV package and/or a stand alone...

More later and items begin to solidify...

It' Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange...

I guess I understand the larger inventory and content that basketball provides, but im a little confused with the compairson with the SEC. Over the last few years Big East basketball was far better than that of the SEC and was possibly the most entertaining/best conference in the country, but that did not save it and I believe the money being received was minimal at best (thought the ratio of money was something like 80% football revenue 15-20% basketball). Im probably missing the connection so I apologize in advance but could you explain how this works in a little more detail if possible? Again I apologise if im asking a dumb question.

I guess I understand the larger inventory and content that basketball provides, but im a little confused with the compairson with the SEC. Over the last few years Big East basketball was far better than that of the SEC and was possibly the most entertaining/best conference in the country, but that did not save it and I believe the money being received was minimal at best (thought the ratio of money was something like 80% football revenue 15-20% basketball). Im probably missing the connection so I apologize in advance but could you explain how this works in a little more detail if possible? Again I apologise if im asking a dumb question.

Janner remember what content is on the Network: it is what is left after the OTA Networks and ESPN get done with taking the best.

I wish the ACC network would be created in the vein of the recently announced WWE Network instead of the usual cable model.

The WWE Network is accessed just like netflix. Available on phones, tablets, smart tvs, computers, apple tv, roku, etc.

It contains live programming.
A library of every major pay-per-view in the history of the company
Original shows

All for $9 a month.

See Alsacs post on going to nine football games...couple with Swofford discussing a better way to select CCG teams...to this:

In the upcoming Winter Meetings the ACCNetwork will be discussed. One of the key points that is presently making the rounds is that the ACC BBall is far better than the SEC's and other conferences...and BBall provides a significantly greater number of games to watch than football. Bball has easily 3X more games than football and as such can provide more viewing and content for an ACCNetwork than football can. Now when compairing the ACC to the SEC it is being thought that ACC football is better than SEC BBall and ACC BBall is as good as the SEC Football...and which game provides more content...bball.

Additionally, if the ACC goes to 9 football games, more content would be available and the SOS would be enhanced...think of FSU playing Florida, Notre Dame, and other P5 teams out of conference...The ninth game may seem to hurt Notre Dame from thinking about joining the ACC--except their is a proposal to go to 13 regular season football games...that would give Notre Dame sufficient other games to meet their scheduling needs of Navy, Stanford, and rotation of two other...

Disccussion of 2015 dollas will come up...and it appears that the coffers of each team will be between $21-$23,000,0000 for media payments...not including the take from the New Championship Series...and not including NEWWork dollars...

Winter Meetings will:
1. Provide a good read on the ACCNetwork--I expect it to move forward and look for it launchin in 2016-2017;
2. Nine game conference schedule same timing or even a year before than above--205-2016
3. ACC/ESPN further solidfying their partnership...and do not rule out a WWE potential format for the ACC NETWork as part of a TV package and/or a stand alone...

More later and items begin to solidify...

It' Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange...

Regarding the Notre Dame scheduling needs, here's a pretty comprehensive interview with Jack Swarbrick about that. It's a month old and may have already been posted in another thread last month. But, it's relevant to the analysis of what a 9 game ACC schedule would do to the Notre Dame line of thinking.

I just don't see 9 without 13.

FSU, Clemson and GA Tech would veto 9 otherwise (if they could). 9 conference games + SEC rival + ND out of 12 every 3 years is just killer.

I would rather go to an 8 team playoff before a 13 game regular season.

To me it gives a bigger sample study and to be honest the more I think about it a better look at who could be in the top 4. As long as EVERY conference plays at least 9 games. Knowing the SEC, they'll add two teams have 8 teams in each division and go to 7 games thus playing all the teams in their division and the only teams that play the other division is for the CCG.

I would rather go to an 8 team playoff before a 13 game regular season.
An 8-team playoff with each P-5 champion ND's 3 at-large teams.

The catch is that a P-5 champion must be the winner of its conference championship game. This would force the Big XII to live up to its name. Additionally, the 8-team playoff could really be a 13-team playoff, if none of the CCG losers were selected as at-large entrants.

whispers, schmiskers.

smoke?

fire.

9 games?

done.

next.

How does 9 ACC games give ESPN more inventory? Most of the games that are replaced would be home games for ACC schools, and ESPN owns those. If you have BC playing at UVA, instead of BC hosting Buffalo and UVA hosting Bowling Green, that's LESS content, right?

If the argument is that the content is better, then that's one thing, but it isn't MORE content, is it? ESPN has all the ACC school's home games, not just conference games.

It
How does 9 ACC games give ESPN more inventory? Most of the games that are replaced would be home games for ACC schools, and ESPN owns those. If you have BC playing at UVA, instead of BC hosting Buffalo and UVA hosting Bowling Green, that's LESS content, right?

If the argument is that the content is better, then that's one thing, but it isn't MORE content, is it? ESPN has all the ACC school's home games, not just conference games.
It gets the ACC more Florida State-Virginia Tech, Florida State-Georgia Tech, Clemson-North Carolina, Miami-Boston College type matchups. ESPN will pay more money to ACC if they can get these matchups. ESPN won't pay the ACC the money it will pay to the SEC, but it will increase the payout for the conference just to keep the status quo.

In the big 5 conferences, Big XII and Pac-12 are divided among FOX/ESPN, the ACC and SEC(except 1 tier 1 game a week on CBS) are all ESPN, and the B1G is likely to become FOX in 2016. ESPN will raise the ACC up if the conference gives them more inventory. Its why the SEC will be going to 9 games as well to get Georgia-Alabama, Florida-Texas A&M matchups.

I wish the ACC network would be created in the vein of the recently announced WWE Network instead of the usual cable model.

The WWE Network is accessed just like netflix. Available on phones, tablets, smart tvs, computers, apple tv, roku, etc.

It contains live programming.
A library of every major pay-per-view in the history of the company
Original shows

All for $9 a month.

I was thinking this while reading the beginning OP (then I saw it in the last point). I wonder how much the ACC will look into the WWE model. I have to believe that will be the wave of the future and the death of cable.

It

It gets the ACC more Florida State-Virginia Tech, Florida State-Georgia Tech, Clemson-North Carolina, Miami-Boston College type matchups. ESPN will pay more money to ACC if they can get these matchups. ESPN won't pay the ACC the money it will pay to the SEC, but it will increase the payout for the conference just to keep the status quo.

In the big 5 conferences, Big XII and Pac-12 are divided among FOX/ESPN, the ACC and SEC(except 1 tier 1 game a week on CBS) are all ESPN, and the B1G is likely to become FOX in 2016. ESPN will raise the ACC up if the conference gives them more inventory. Its why the SEC will be going to 9 games as well to get Georgia-Alabama, Florida-Texas A&M matchups.

Ok, it maybe gets them different, better inventory. But it will get them less total inventory. That's different. I think it's questionable, considering the attractive OOC games that the ACC places, that it's a net upgrade. For every FSU-VT type game, there are five BC-UVA, Pitt-Wake type games. Not sure Losing Louiville vs. Auburn is worth picking up Louisville-Duke, especially when you also lose some games overall.

I mean, if that's really what ESPN is asking for, then there's a reason, but "more" inventory doesn't strictly make sense.

I think the nine game schedule is more about adding a thirteenth game more than anything else. Another game adds TV inventory, more home games over time for the P5 teams, creates more in-conference matchups as well as keeps a payday for the lower schools.

Not more inventory, but probably better inventory. ESPN must think that the 7 additional ACC vs ACC games it would get would be more valuable than the 7 ACC vs OOC games they would be replacing. Your questioning that validity is appropriate, but that's the line of thinking.

Ok, it maybe gets them different, better inventory. But it will get them less total inventory. That's different. I think it's questionable, considering the attractive OOC games that the ACC places, that it's a net upgrade. For every FSU-VT type game, there are five BC-UVA, Pitt-Wake type games. Not sure Losing Louiville vs. Auburn is worth picking up Louisville-Duke, especially when you also lose some games overall.

I mean, if that's really what ESPN is asking for, then there's a reason, but "more" inventory doesn't strictly make sense.
I think part of the reason for more ACC games is Florida St, Clemson winning BCS games, Louisville, Miami, getting better, Syracuse beating a big 10 team in a bowl. The overall outlook for ACC football is on an upward track, and ESPN wants to take advantage of that. Its been a long time since you have been able to say the ACC is a football conference.

Arb is back! I was just about to pay the ransom - glad you escaped.

Last edited:

Would an ACC network have a better chance to succeed if the conference has the ability to give ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 ESPNU all games then have the ability to have a 12pm, 3:30, 8pm games on an ACC network. The 9 conference games are what ESPN would want because those extra 7 games would have good inventory for the ACC network. The SEC is going to go to 9 games because ESPN wants those extra games for the SEC network. I get not every extra game will be appealing nationally, but those extra games for the ACC network. Remember also not all of the 4th OOC game for ACC teams would be home games and under ESPN control. I get the problems that the 9 game schedule are for Clemson and Florida State. Something will need to be done for those schools to get this done, but I am sure if ACC/ESPN can give those 2 schools the economics that would be generated from an ACC network then I am sure it something will be done to get it done. I told the ACC is trying to get Notre Dame to play Shamrock games with Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State in Charlotte w/Clemson, Atlanta w/Ga. Tech, Jacksonville/Florida State.