ACCN - think I will be disappointed...... | Syracusefan.com

ACCN - think I will be disappointed......

DonLightfoot

All Conference
..... for two reasons:
1) - My provider Dish Network has not signed on yet.
2) - According to their website they will be carrying a total of 40 football games and 150 basketball games (men and women). Let's assume the men will have 125 of those?????? Just how many of those will involve The Orange????? Remember, our conference has 15 schools.

Obviously they will not be broadcasting games that are going to be on ESPN or CBS. Last year for me those other networks carried only about 10 conference games and only a couple non conference games (like the ACC/BIG challenge). Where I live there is no access to the Syracuse stations that might carry games and WatchESPN is not available for me. Furthermore, "ESPN+" or the new "ACCN Extra" will not be available for me. I sincerely hope that ESPN does not drop a number of games due to ACCN picking them up (unless of course Dish Network signs on).

I don't know how accurate my math is above, but it seems every year since leaving the THE BIG EAST I get fewer and fewer games. You can tell from my tone that I am not overly optimistic going forward. Maybe I should have "Scottie beam me up" to a galaxy where all stations are available.

... for two reasons:
2) - According to their website they will be carrying a total of 40 football games and 150 basketball games (men and women). Let's assume the men will have 125 of those?????? Just how many of those will involve The Orange????? Remember, our conference has 15 schools.

Obviously they will not be broadcasting games that are going to be on ESPN or CBS. Last year for me those other networks carried only about 10 conference games and only a couple non conference games (like the ACC/BIG challenge). Where I live there is no access to the Syracuse stations that might carry games and WatchESPN is not available for me. Furthermore, "ESPN+" or the new "ACCN Extra" will not be available for me. I sincerely hope that ESPN does not drop a number of games due to ACCN picking them up (unless of course Dish Network signs on).

I don't know how accurate my math is above, but it seems every year since leaving the THE BIG EAST I get fewer and fewer games. You can tell from my tone that I am not overly optimistic going forward. Maybe I should have "Scottie beam me up" to a galaxy where all stations are available.
Can you get someone's log in. Then you shouldn't have a problem. I'm going to withhold some judgment on number of games, but don't forget that two teams play in each game. So if it's 125 games, it's really 250 teams involved. And it might be more, because it says more than 150 hoop games. Plus I would think year two would be better than year one, so you might need to wait one year.

Will I be able to watch ACCN on my mobile phone or similar device?
Yes. ACCN will be available via the ESPN App on computers, tablets, mobile phones and TV connected devices.

I know Don lives in Canada, so his availability is likely affected by that.

... for two reasons:

There are still a couple months left. Just because there's no deal now doesn't mean there won't be. I'm in a similar boat - no deal with Comcast yet. :(

... for two reasons:

{snip}
The 150 games they’re talking about are ACC Network exclusives. That number doesn’t include the games on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU.

There are still a couple months left. Just because there's no deal now doesn't mean there won't be. I'm in a similar boat - no deal with Comcast yet. :(
Here is the timeline for carrier agreements for the SEC Network, which has been the most successful network to date.

It was announced in May of 2013 and at that announcement, they confirmed AT&T was on board from day one.
I quote the following from this excellent David Teel article a while back:

Keep in mind the network launched Aug. 14, 2014, and all dates listed are in 2014.

March 3: Dish Network.

July 9: Cox Communications.

July 18: Comcast.

July 24: Time Warner. Charter purchased Time Warner two years ago.

Aug. 4: DirecTV. This was 10 days before launch.

Aug. 14: Mediacom serving SEC states Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee. Grande Communications in Texas.

Aug. 26: Verizon Fios. This was 12 days post-launch and two days before the SEC Network’s first football game, between Texas A&M and South Carolina.

As of right now, the ACC Network is well ahead of where the SEC Network was in 2014. I think the ACCN is going to end up with a distribution very close to that of the SEC Network at go live time.

It will be interesting to see how the pricing compares. I think you traditionally get a lot more money per customer in home state regions and I think the ACC has significantly more population in its home state than the SEC does.

The SEC charges the highest prices, significantly more than the B1G. I doubt the ACCN will get the same pricing but I think it will end up with more people in its home states and that will help offset the lower prices.

But anyway, I think it very likely that the Dish Network will pick up the ACCN before it goes live.

The 150 games they’re talking about are ACC Network exclusives. That number doesn’t include the games on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU.
Yes, I'm thinking they will be all of the ESPNWatch games. Instead of having to watch online, although a lot were shown locally in Albany, they will now be on the ACCN. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I'm thinking they will be all of the ESPNWatch games. Instead of having to watch online, although a lot were shown locally in Albany, they will now be on the ACCN. Please correct me if I am wrong.
My understanding of this is:
The Raycom (over-the-air channels) games have now gone away, so any football or basketball games that were shown there are switching over to the ACCN. Most, if not all, RSN games (the ones shown on the non-ESPN sports channels like YES) will be shifted to the ACCN as well. It wouldn't surprise me if the games that used to be on Internet only (ACC Extra) get moved around so they will be on the ACCN. I would think there will be 2 b-ball games every Tuesday and Wednesday night on the ACCN, one at 7 and the other at 9. A number of those (like a mid-week Wake-BC game) would have only been shown on ACC Extra via the Internet.

OK, it's getting close to crunch time and Dish Network is still not listed as one of the providers. Being in Canada I am not able to contact Dish Network directly to inquire about this and my service provider in Michigan has no updated information either.

I would like to ask a favour of any member on here who is a Dish Network customer. Could you contact Dish Network to see what, if any, progress is being made for them to add the ACC Network. This would be much appreciated.

The Raycom (over-the-air channels) games have now gone away, so any football or basketball games that were shown there are switching over to the ACCN. Most, if not all, RSN games (the ones shown on the non-ESPN sports channels like YES) will be shifted to the ACCN as well. It wouldn't surprise me if the games that used to be on Internet only (ACC Extra) get moved around so they will be on the ACCN. I would think there will be 2 b-ball games every Tuesday and Wednesday night on the ACCN, one at 7 and the other at 9. A number of those (like a mid-week Wake-BC game) would have only been shown on ACC Extra via the Internet.
I thought this too but Matt Sarz says the ACC RSN distribution deal with Raycom for select ACC football and basketball games will continue until the contract ends in 2026-27.

OK, it's getting close to crunch time and Dish Network is still not listed as one of the providers. Being in Canada I am not able to contact Dish Network directly to inquire about this and my service provider in Michigan has no updated information either.

I would like to ask a favour of any member on here who is a Dish Network customer. Could you contact Dish Network to see what, if any, progress is being made for them to add the ACC Network. This would be much appreciated.
The ACC summer media days are in Charlotte next week on August 17th and 18th.

I wonder if there will be any distribution announcements at that time? Probably some announcements about new hires for the ACC network then too. The focus will be on football and the new network. I bet the ACC is trying hard to get some carriage deals in place for this deadline.

I need the ACC network MSG and SNY. I might go the fubo route and get someone's ESPNs log in. Can you watch ESPN on a Roku with log in info? It would basically be all the ESPNs on a app on the roku

Every game that is not on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CBS and is controlled by the ACC will be on ACCN for men’s basketball and football.

I am sure Dish is negotiating hard but if they have SECN they will eventually cave as Disney will bundle ACCN with all its muscle.

I need the ACC network MSG and SNY. I might go the fubo route and get someone's ESPNs log in. Can you watch ESPN on a Roku with log in info? It would basically be all the ESPNs on a app on the roku
Yes you can watch ESPN on roku with login information.

Sometimes they had 2-3 games at the same time through the ACC Network extra. Am i wrong?

Sometimes they had 2-3 games at the same time through the ACC Network extra. Am i wrong?
Yes, but now there are 3 ACCN slots in addition to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ABC for the games. Before, there were only two for Raycom and the RSNs. With the ACCN, there will be night games on Saturday. They also have moved games to Friday nights (like UVa's games with William & Mary and @ Miami), which means one less game to take up a slot on Saturday.

Wasn’t there an article somewhere along the way that said every game for all SU sports would be broadcast?

Wasn’t there an article somewhere along the way that said every game for all SU sports would be broadcast?
Every home game for every varsity sport at Syracuse will get televised. Away games, especially away games out of conference, are going to be a lot more hit and miss. Syracuse is the only ACC school that will televise all home games for all varsity sports. The other schools don’t have the technology and talent to do it.

Someday they will eventually get there.

They may all be televised but most won’t be on the ACCN. It’s only one channel. The rest will be on ACC Extra.

Every home game for every varsity sport at Syracuse will get televised.

Can't wait for those exciting Cross Country meets. I wonder how having them televised will impact attendance and ticket revenues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom