According to Dino | Syracusefan.com

According to Dino

kcsu

Living Legend
During an interview Dino was asked a question about his coaching. Part of his answer was that as you progress and keep learning and evolving you are healthy, once that stops you become ripe and its time to be picked, if not
picked when ripe you become rotten.

JB has changed things over the years and can again. he's won with every type of team, with every combination of strengths and weaknesses. He isn't "rotten" just because we lost a couple of games.

Last edited:
He isn't "rotten" just because we lost a couple fo games.
We’re all in a state of panic and depression because of a couple of games? This has been an observation for years. It’s reaching a crescendo because we have returned our entire roster and it looks like they’ve never played together in their life.

We’re all in a state of panic and depression because of a couple of games? This has been an observation for years. It’s reaching a crescendo because we have returned our entire roster and it looks like they’ve never played together in their life.

So JB is "rotten" and needs to be "picked"?

By the way, I'm neither panicked or depressed. I still think this will be a good team and strong season. Howard will come back and Brissett will stop trying to prove he's Reggie Miller.

So JB is "rotten" and needs to be "picked"?
It’s a metaphor Steve. If you stop learning on any job you become stale and others pass you by. Help us feel better - give us an example of new thinking or evolving on JB’s part in the past 5 years to refute that take.

During an interview Dino was asked a question about his coaching. Part of his answer was that as you progress and keep learning and evolving you are healthy, once that stops you become ripe and its time to be picked, if not
On a football note I hope “getting picked” doesn’t mean moving to a new school when he thinks he’s peaked at his current stop. Very curious metaphor and I hope we’re just reading too much into it.

It’s a metaphor Steve. If you stop learning on any job you become stale and others pass you by. Help us feel better - give us an example of new thinking or evolving on JB’s part in the past 5 years to refute that take.

On another thread i was asked to identify changes in the last 20 years (and did so). Now it's down to five? A coach has to have changed something in the last five years or he's "become stale?

Well i could have used the old definition of insanity...

On another thread i was asked to identify changes in the last 20 years (and did so). Now it's down to five? A coach has to have changed something in the last five years or he's "become stale?
Not sure what Kcsu counts as change (or the base similarities for that matter) but the JB offense changes with the personnel.
The Rak team in 14-15 emphasized post play, particularly after the McCullough injury.
15-16, JB surprised us by using Lydon at center, using his outside range, making Gbinije the PG, and using an effective press in short bursts (UVa will never forget that)
16-17 - with White and Gillon, the team scored in bunches. Was that offense the same as the others? Gillon's point guard play was similar to Gbinije's?
17-18 - 3 man offense, spread and iso, to take advantage of our 3 perimeter players. Not at all like the Rak team, or the teams with Lyndon as a stretch center. And not like the teams that worked to set up Cooney on curls.
18-19. Still in flux - working with Battle and Carey taking turns at the post, looks different than having Frank. Might be too early to compare it to others within the prior 4, but we don't have post play (Rak's team) or a stretch 5 Lydon, or much similarity to the White/Gillon bunch.

No changes with the recent 5 seasons?

Really? But he can bench them.
Yes he can bench anyone he wants, however winning at this level requires some mental coaching also. The board psychiatrist’s don’t have a very good record intstilling confidence in 20 yo elite athletes. JB does. Let’s see how it plays out. Smart money is betting on JB.

A coach can’t make the shots the players take.

Listen -- we haven't shot well and some of the shots are decent looks. But there are a TON of possessions that begin and end with us going one-on-one without any semblance of an offensive set. No off-ball motion, no back doors, it's really pretty terrible.

For who exactly? NO ONE is making shots...
Dolezaj played 19 minutes against UConn and 17 minutes against Oregon.
If the HC is not responsible for making shots he is responsible for the players on the team. This is the same team as last year and thru 4 games nobody looks like they had added anything to their offensive game.
The HC is not absolved of blame just because the team “missed” shots.
This team looked lifeless, flat and didn’t give effort on defense and was stagnant standing around on offense.
The entire team coaches, players, deserve criticism I would rather the people who are PAID get that criticism over the kids who aren’t paid.

…..
If the HC is not responsible for making shots he is responsible for the players on the team. This is the same team as last year and thru 4 games nobody looks like they had added anything to their offensive game.
….
Not sure I can take this seriously, if you don't mention that Battle is playing PG, or a true frosh is playing PG without a lot of experience in that role, compared to having Frank Howard last season. Big difference, no?

Have to distinguish effort (which I believe is there) from results (not so good, obviously, particularly on the boards). When the 7ft 2 Bol Bol dominates inside, it is not because our guys aren't trying.

step away from the fire.

This team looked lifeless, flat and didn’t give effort on defense and was stagnant standing around on offense.
The entire team coaches, players, deserve criticism I would rather the people who are PAID get that criticism over the kids who aren’t paid.

here is our problem - it doesnt matter if all of our guys improved.

we still play 4 guys of 1 on 1 ball plus the centers. On top of the we run the 3 man weave until 10 seconds on the shot clock.

until we run an actual offense or push the ball, it's not going to be pretty.

this team has the ability and athletes to score 80+ a game. We gotta let the dogs loose a little.

Not sure I can take this seriously, if you don't mention that Battle is playing PG, or a true frosh is playing PG without a lot of experience in that role, compared to having Frank Howard last season. Big difference, no?

Have to distinguish effort (which I believe is there) from results (not so good, obviously, particularly on the boards). When the 7ft 2 Bol Bol dominates inside, it is not because our guys aren't trying.
You think the team has played hard and not gone thru the motions?
UConn played MILES harder than we did. They wanted that game a lot more. Their whole team played with energy and that tiny team out rebounded us. No way UConn should outrebound Syracuse. That is effort.
Frank Howard isn’t pure PG either. He will help but this amazing that Howard is the magical cure. He will help the team on defense.
If you think the effort was there last 2 games I can’t even bother with you.
The team totally played with no energy or intensity.

UConn played MILES harder than we did. They wanted that game a lot more. Their whole team played with energy and that tiny team out rebounded us. No way UConn should outrebound Syracuse. That is effort.
Frank Howard isn’t pure PG either. He will help but this amazing that Howard is the magical cure. He will help the team on defense.
Agree about the intensity. But offensively, they're out of sorts. Not having a PG really screws up volume scorers - and I put all three in that group - OB, TB and EH. To make things even worse, JC's playing more like a 2 right now. So we have 4 guys playing like scorers and no one running plays, creating movement and setting people up. It's not Frank per se .. it's the role he plays that we're missing.

Until Frank (offensive normalcy) returns, I would tell this team to concentrate on D ... and let the offense come from that. Tightening down the zone won't make the offense pretty, but it would be better than it is right now with lackluster effort.

Last edited:

Criticism? yes, absolutely. Firing? No. That's what the metaphor in the original post implied.

…..
Don't care who you bother with or not.
Yes, from my seats at MSG, it looked like the effort was there. When a shooter misses, it isn't because the effort was lacking. The turnovers -- not an energy issue. Buddy Boeheim, to take one example, tried hard in his few minutes, but he hasn't been making shots. Same all around. We lacked good ball movement, we got beat on the boards -- wasn't for lack of trying. When Chukwu, Sidibe, and Marek get pushed around, it is because they are skinny or awkward not because they aren't willing.
If your fix is play with more energy --

Don't care who you bother with or not.
Yes, from my seats at MSG, it looked like the effort was there. When a shooter misses, it isn't because the effort was lacking. The turnovers -- not an energy issue. Buddy Boeheim, to take one example, tried hard in his few minutes, but he hasn't been making shots. Same all around. We lacked good ball movement, we got beat on the boards -- wasn't for lack of trying. When Chukwu, Sidibe, and Marek get pushed around, it is because they are skinny or awkward not because they aren't willing.
If your fix is play with more energy --
Okay for the sake of people I respect on this board I am not going to bother saying anything but have a good day. It’s pointless if all your going to say is the center position was pushed around as to why we struggled rebounding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom