addidas admits in lawsuit that it pays players | Syracusefan.com

addidas admits in lawsuit that it pays players

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I wonder if Coach K will have to lose his wins when Zion played?
He should but he won’t. But I’m a little confused, why is adidas paying him, especially while he’s at duke. Isn’t duke a Nike school, plus Zion signed with Jordan/Nike afterwards? Or does Zion essentially get free money just for the thought of entertaining offers for a shoe deal?

Guess who gets named? Zion and Duke, as well as that guy Billy Preston who almost dropped in our laps that one recruiting season, until he didn't.

Also annoying this story is only on Yahoo. Nothing on the front page of ESPN and SI. Feel like this should get more attention

He should but he won’t. But I’m a little confused, why is adidas paying him, especially while he’s at duke. Isn’t duke a Nike school, plus Zion signed with Jordan/Nike afterwards? Or does Zion essentially get free money just for the thought of entertaining offers for a shoe deal?

The payments were through his AAU team which had some kind of Adidas affiliation and/or was playing in an Adidas tournament. With small and odd value payments, they will simply say it was expense reimbursements related to the AAU team and will be cleared. Heck, for these particular payments, that may be the actual truth. The monthly, even number payments ($3000 per month, etc) are just speculated in this article.

Remember the infamous Nike shoe blow out he had at Duke? It would be absolutely hilarious if Adidas did have Zion in their pocket and sent him to Duke as a sleeper agent. Adidas then provided him with a specially sabotaged Nike shoe to smear their competitor. That would be some cool cloak and dagger and stuff.

The payments were through his AAU team which had some kind of Adidas affiliation and/or was playing in an Adidas tournament. With small and odd value payments, they will simply say it was expense reimbursements related to the AAU team and will be cleared. Heck, for these particular payments, that may be the actual truth. The monthly, even number payments ($3000 per month, etc) are just speculated in this article.

Remember the infamous Nike shoe blow out he had at Duke? It would be absolutely hilarious if Adidas did have Zion in their pocket and sent him to Duke as a sleeper agent. Adidas then provided him with a specially sabotaged Nike shoe to smear their competitor. That would be some cool cloak and dagger and stuff.

So I thought a lot about that situation, because you never really see basketball shoes explode. I was totally convinced that the freak accident with that shoe would have made him swear off Nike altogether.

But he didn't, he got a HUGE Jordan/Nike deal worth $75 million, so there goes the tinfoil CIA-approved Adidas shoebomb.

Last edited:
Did you know Adidas is actually pronounced Adi-das?

Did you know Adidas is actually pronounced Adi-das?

I think the correct phonetic pronunciation is "Adi-duhs."

Which makes sense.

I pulled the relevant pleading off the court docket. The key point is that adidas doesn't assert that these were the only payments of adidas money to Zion or his family. adidas says that the documents it is aware of regarding payments to Zion or his family are limited to these nickel/dime payments. I've attached the document.

Attachments

• zion.pdf
    60.5 KB · Views: 149

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors