Adirondack High Peaks | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Adirondack High Peaks

I'm heading up to Raquette Lake on Thursday for my annual family camping trip. I'm pretty bummed that I'm not recovered enough to do any substantial hiking. Anyone have any recommendations on any scenic spots to check out in the area that don't require much hiking? Maybe even a good spot to drop a kayak in the water?

The outdoor bar/deck at Daikers?

Just kidding, maybe Siss and Bubb Lakes? Not sure if that’s too much? It’s a couple miles total, but mostly flat.

Maybe Rainbow Falls up near Long Lake? Very short walk(like 1 minute) to the waterfall area. Not a huge waterfall by any means though.

Not a huge kayaker, but I remember I enjoyed kayaking on 7th lake(I think). There was a parking area, and then you could kayak over to a sandbar area, basically across the more narrow part of the lake. My dad used to be a big kayaker, he always talked about Twitchell being one of his favorites. He seemed to go to Moss Lake a lot too.

The outdoor bar/deck at Daikers?

Just kidding, maybe Siss and Bubb Lakes? Not sure if that’s too much? It’s a couple miles total, but mostly flat.

Maybe Rainbow Falls up near Long Lake? Very short walk(like 1 minute) to the waterfall area. Not a huge waterfall by any means though.

Not a huge kayaker, but I remember I enjoyed kayaking on 7th lake(I think). There was a parking area, and then you could kayak over to a sandbar area, basically across the more narrow part of the lake. My dad used to be a big kayaker, he always talked about Twitchell being one of his favorites. He seemed to go to Moss Lake a lot too.

Were you thinking of Buttermilk Falls outside Long Lake? We typically go there every year. Nice little spot. I've never done Siss & Bubb so maybe that could be an option. I know that it's a very easy hike.

Were you thinking of Buttermilk Falls outside Long Lake? We typically go there every year. Nice little spot. I've never done Siss & Bubb so maybe that could be an option. I know that it's a very easy hike.
Yes, I meant Buttermilk!

I was recently thinking of Rainbow Falls because they are near a high peak hike I was considering doing, and I mixed the names up!

Yeah, Siss and Bubb - basically two small, remote lakes that are near each other, after an easy hike.

I love going out there when basically nobody else is out there(common if you go on a weekday at the right time) and hearing nothing but silence or nature.

It is kinda steep just at the very beginning. Then after that it’s flat.

Last edited:
You can always kayak to the north end of Raquette, and carry over to Forked Lake which is a beautiful 4-5 mile long lake.

My brother and I did that once when we were younger, but we were so gassed by the time we reached the carry that we had to call our dad to come pick us up.

So I tweaked my knee on a recent muddy decent... Seems like it's just a moderate sprain. Any suggestions on a low profile brace? I am weary of the neoprene compression ones because they always seem to bunch up/ and or slide down.

Forgot to follow up and say that we didn't end up doing any hikes, but we did go to the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake and it was spectacular. Can't believe I've never been before despite camping just down the road for the past 25 years. I only wish it was a nicer day. The view of the lake from the cafe deck was hindered by some super low clouds. We also did a pizza cruise on Raquette Lake on the W.W. Durant, which believe it or not was the first time I've been on that boat as well. Fun time.

370389517_10100971853106011_1174247902589673164_n.jpg

Forgot to follow up and say that we didn't end up doing any hikes, but we did go to the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake and it was spectacular. Can't believe I've never been before despite camping just down the road for the past 25 years. I only wish it was a nicer day. The view of the lake from the cafe deck was hindered by some super low clouds. We also did a pizza cruise on Raquette Lake on the W.W. Durant, which believe it or not was the first time I've been on that boat as well. Fun time.

370389517_10100971853106011_1174247902589673164_n.jpg
Went to that museum for the first time a few years ago - definitely worth the stop! Very cool place.

I’ve been running through the Labrador Hollow unique area. Nice view from the top of hang glider hill. I believe there’s couple more “summit” views.

I’ve been running through the Labrador Hollow unique area. Nice view from the top of hang glider hill. I believe there’s couple more “summit” views.
Interesting, I’ve never even heard of this place. Will have to check it out.

My wife and I are thinking of starting to do the high peaks next year. Is there a good resource for the order to start, troubles, length of time, etc. Thanks in advance

My wife and I are thinking of starting to do the high peaks next year. Is there a good resource for the order to start, troubles, length of time, etc. Thanks in advance
this doesn't tell you what order go do them but it has some other good information.

Most would say that Cascade and Porter would be the best to start with.

If you’re on Facebook, there used to be some groups out there where many people could share lots of valuable info and answer questions. Can’t remember the names, but if you search Adirondack 46, I’m sure you’ll get some results on there.

Most would say that Cascade and Porter would be the best to start with.

If you’re on Facebook, there used to be some groups out there where many people could share lots of valuable info and answer questions. Can’t remember the names, but if you search Adirondack 46, I’m sure you’ll get some results on there.
For sure there is consensus these 2 are the easiest with a lot of bang for the buck. You can also easily do them together. I would go Porter first then decide after that to take on Cascade on the same day/hike.

Last edited:
If you like podcasts, the 46 of 46 podcast has good info

This is the quintessential website.

Do Cascade first since you need to ascend 95% up Cascade to get to the Porter junction. Cascade has a great summit whereas Porter is a toilet. That said, you can do all of them in any order of course, but efficiency of stringing certain peaks together is pretty standard.

Generally the starter peaks are Cascade/Porter, Phelps, Giant, Big Slide, Wright. I really like Wright.

Most importantly — plan and map study your hikes! Know your capabilities and build your skills and experience. Being over prepared is far better than under prepared.

24/46, 2/46(2),0/46(W)

Last edited:
This is a view from Porter in May 2020. Note: In the spring and late fall, be aware that snow and ice are common. At the least, carry micro spikes even if you don't think you need them. In addition, consider bringing snowshoes in some cases. This day was mostly no snow/ice but the stretches with ice were challenging.

I hiked OK Slip Falls this last April. No snow on the ground at my house 1.5 hours south when we left for the hike. The entire hike was covered with 2 feet of snowpack and in some cases, ice.
view from porter.jpg

Last edited:
This is a view from Porter in May 2020. Note: In the spring and late fall, be aware that snow and ice are common. At the least, carry micro spikes even if you don't think you need them. In addition, consider bringing snowshoes in some cases. This day was mostly no snow/ice but the stretches with ice were challenging.

I hiked OK Slip Falls this last April. No snow at my house 1.5 hours south when we left for the hike. The entire hike was covered with 2 feet of snowpack and in some cases, ice.
View attachment 231868
First hike I ever did was on a Memorial Day weekend at Cascade and Porter.

When we left it was a sunny day, probably 65 degrees. At some point it poured rain on us. At some point near the top it sleeted for a few minutes. And finally, it went back to a sunny, pleasant day. You just never know up there.