Adirondack High Peaks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Adirondack High Peaks

I would add algonquin as a great place to start. the views of Marcy and Colden are great, is pretty accessible, and not overly challenging. You can be flexible as well and add Wright, and/or Iroquois. The hike from Algonquin to Iroquois is one of my favorites as you are above the tree line most of the hike

I was looking at Wright and Algonquin as a potential future hike. I know a lot of people include Iroquois, and what you described certainly seems cool. Some neat images available through google maps.

I was looking at Wright and Algonquin as a potential future hike. I know a lot of people include Iroquois, and what you described certainly seems pretty cool. Some neat images available through google maps.

I said earlier that I almost always hike from Aug-Oct...well this was one of the exceptions that I did in July. A hot, sunny July day at that. I got sunburned pretty good on that one.

So yeah, you’re not buried in the trees the whole way - you’re out there and there’s lots of good views. The Heat/sun was brutal which was our fault for going on that day, but otherwise that’s a great hike. We did all 3 of them.

I was looking at Wright and Algonquin as a potential future hike. I know a lot of people include Iroquois, and what you described certainly seems cool. Some neat images available through google maps.
Glad you enjoyed it! Big Slide some amazing views.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread- Algonquin and Wright both have great views which, ironically, are reasonably short in duration when compared to some other treks in the High Peaks. Only thing to be cautious of up there is the wind and the weather- it can turn in a hurry. Any questions on gear, never hesitate to reach out.

Another longer climb that has some of the best views in the Peaks are Gothics/Armstrong/Upper Wolfjaw. Gothics has an exposed slide climb (there is a cable attached to the rock for balance- it's not as crazy as it sounds) that has fabulous views. But it is a long day with many ups and downs.

Keep us posted...I am working towards my Winter 46 so most of my climbing these days comes in late December/January. Adds a whole new element...

All I know is that I did Allen Mtn and it was brutal (required one back country overnight which was great - i do take bear precautions in the backcountry). If you're going for all 46 I'm not sure if I'd get it out of the way first or save it for last.

Pack a collapsible trout pole (I didn't) but there were parts of the Hudson headwater stream that looked like pristine trout water. Might not have been any fish but sure looked perfect.

I highly recommend Wallface. That was impressive.

Last edited:
All I know is that I did Allen Mtn and it was brutal (required one back country overnight which was great - i do take bear precautions in the backcountry). If you're going for all 46 I'm not sure if I'd get it out of the way first or save it for last.

Pack a collapsible trout pole (I didn't) but there were parts of the Hudson headwater stream that looked like pristine trout water. Might not have been any fish but sure looked perfect.

I highly recommend Wallface. That was impressive.
Great call on Wallface. Spectacular views.

Part of my soul is still on the trail to Allen. If you don’t intend to be a 46er, two pieces of advice:

1) Don’t climb Allen.
2) See #1

Great call on Wallface. Spectacular views.

Part of my soul is still on the trail to Allen. If you don’t intend to be a 46er, two pieces of advice:

1) Don’t climb Allen.
2) See #1

SMH. I still need Allen. I’ve heard Haystack is brutal too? That’s another one I need.

SMH. I still need Allen. I’ve heard Haystack is brutal too? That’s another one I need.

It's probably best summarized by saying Haystack and Allen are wildly different experiences. Allen is about 20 miles round-trip, with much of the hike spent getting to/from the base of the mountain. It's more mentally exhausting than physically taxing, if that makes sense.

Haystack has absolutely amazing views with multiple approaches via the Garden or the Loj. (Note- do NOT take the approach up from Panther Gorge. I did that in college at peak fitness- 80 miles a week of running- and it was a brutal climb then.) So if you climb Haystack you are in for a long day, but if you get a nice weather day- the rewards are spectacular for large portions of the climb, especially the parts above tree line.

Great to hear from so many fellow climbers- sounds like we need a syracusefan.com High Peaks expedition (except if you're doing Allen- I've been there twice, you are all on your own ;)). Fair warning- now that I am in my 40s all my climbs end not in a tent but at a brewery.

If you have any other questions on the Peaks just reach out...definitely had some great climbs (and made a bunch of stupid mistakes) that I am happy to share..

I can'y imagine doing a climb without stopping at Big Slide brewery afterwards. Part of the routine.

Yeah, the promise of a good meal and some beer afterwards is by far the best part for me. That’s become my new go to too. Used to go into Placid and stop at the Pub and Brewery, Smoke Signals, etc.

With the hassles brought on by COVID, it’s way easier to just go sit outside at Big Slide.

I've easily walked 500+ miles in the ADKs over the past few years. I have 0/46. I would like to experience some of the high peaks, but the crowds turn me off something fierce.
At some point, I'm going to get the Placid trail completed, but it will likely be solo as my wife is not interested in that kind of nonsense. She's more of canoer/kayaker.

This thread has been enjoyable to read. My dad is a 46er, starting with Marcy in 1976 and ending with Colden in 1982. He's got some great stories from his hiking days, which he'll usually share with us over the campfire at Golden Beach in Raquette Lake.

I've easily walked 500+ miles in the ADKs over the past few years. I have 0/46. I would like to experience some of the high peaks, but the crowds turn me off something fierce.
At some point, I'm going to get the Placid trail completed, but it will likely be solo as my wife is not interested in that kind of nonsense. She's more of canoer/kayaker.
Agree about the crowds in the high peaks and it is getting a lot worse. Going backpacking with pack rafts in the Five Ponds Wilderness in a couple of weeks

Agree about the crowds in the high peaks and it is getting a lot worse. Going backpacking with pack rafts in the Five Ponds Wilderness in a couple of weeks
I've thought about doing some straight lining across some places, like the West Canada Lake Wilderness. I'm sure there are some places in there that haven't seen a human in decades.

Since the High Peaks appear to be overcrowded lately, there's a push for hikers to visit other Adirondack trails. Here's a list of 50 suggested hiking trails:

I've done Mount Arab, Goodnow Mountain, Blue Mountain, Cascade Pond, Chimney Mountain, OK Slip Falls, Owls Head Mountain, Sagamore Lake, Sawyer Mountain and Wakely Mountain and all were definitely enjoyable hikes.

Since the High Peaks appear to be overcrowded lately, there's a push for hikers to visit other Adirondack trails. Here's a list of 50 suggested hiking trails:

I've done Mount Arab, Goodnow Mountain, Blue Mountain, Cascade Pond, Chimney Mountain, OK Slip Falls, Owls Head Mountain, Sagamore Lake, Sawyer Mountain and Wakely Mountain and all were definitely enjoyable hikes.
Wakely is a calf burner. You start off for the first mile and a half and this isn't so bad ... then it's straight up. But that view at the top on a clear day is a nice one.

Wakely is a calf burner. You start off for the first mile and a half and this isn't so bad ... then it's straight up. But that view at the top on a clear day is a nice one.

Yeah not the easiest climb, but so worth it. I love a good fire tower, and the one on top of Wakely is one of the tallest in the Adirondacks.

Another great one, thats not a high peak, is Ampersand. Fantastic summit view.

those campgrounds along saranac are awesome. I've done that trip via boat a few times, the lock system is pretty cool to negotiate. One labor day weekend it was snowing at the peak of Ampersand, but no less breathtaking. very easy hike too

SMH, no thanks. I’ll be back when people can travel and go on vacations again.

Agreed. That's insane. Too many people on the trail kinda ruin the experience, at least for me. Although it is perfect weather and labor day weekend and no one wants to fly or stay in a hotel. Hope they don't trash the trails, etc.

SMH, no thanks. I’ll be back when people can travel and go on vacations again.

This Tweet has been an active topic today between my hiking buddies and I. That picture is insane and why the state may have to move to a permit system. The erosion on the main trails after this year is going to be brutal.

Winter will be interesting- will it still be only diehards or overrun with folks who are ill prepared for cold weather climbing?

This Tweet has been an active topic today between my hiking buddies and I. That picture is insane and why the state may have to move to a permit system. The erosion on the main trails after this year is going to be brutal.

Winter will be interesting- will it still be only diehards or overrun with folks who are ill prepared for cold weather climbing?
Holy @#$%. I finished the 46 in 1994 and I'm glad I did it back then.

Agree with the other suggestions on first hikes. But then again, I'm not even sure that the trails I hiked on back then are still there. For the peaks that had trails!

Whiteface wasn't too bad of a hike. The top will be crowded, of course, but I recall the trails being pretty well-graded and largely empty.

Try Ampersand, best non high peak I ever hiked

Anyone know what it was like up there this weekend? I'm thinking about taking the kids to do Cascade and Porter next weekend, but only if it's not super crowded (I know that's a subjective term).