Adirondack High Peaks | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Adirondack High Peaks

Actually not that bad, probably right around zero. That's a wooded summit so you don't get as much cross wind. The start of the date was a little bitter, maybe - 4 at Upper Works, but warmed up to near 10 later in the day. There was a big difference between the sun and the shade...

Maybe a dumb question: How come Alltrails maps the trail to the summit of Cliff at like 4.9 mile RT and the summit to Redfield at 6.1 miles RT, but when you do them together (which looks pretty common), it's like 18 miles? If that's the case, why do people do them as a pair?

Maybe a dumb question: How come Alltrails maps the trail to the summit of Cliff at like 4.9 mile RT and the summit to Redfield at 6.1 miles RT, but when you do them together (which looks pretty common), it's like 18 miles? If that's the case, why do people do them as a pair?
Not a dumb question but I don't have a really clear answer. Cliff round trip, if done directly, is at least 14 miles. Tack on Redfield and you have another 3, so you're in that 17-18 mile range. The one variable is the Flowed Lands. In the summer you have to go around it for obvious reasons. In winter, with adequate snowpack and temps, you cut straight across it.

For reference purposes- my hiking partner and I were planning to attempt a bushwack of Cliff off the western face, which is purported to have great views. We screwed around for a hour fishing through spruce traps and maybe tacked on an extra mile before aborting and heading up the packed out route. Our total trip distance was 16.1 miles.

Bottom line- plan on a full day if you go for one or either from Upper Works.

Not a dumb question but I don't have a really clear answer. Cliff round trip, if done directly, is at least 14 miles. Tack on Redfield and you have another 3, so you're in that 17-18 mile range. The one variable is the Flowed Lands. In the summer you have to go around it for obvious reasons. In winter, with adequate snowpack and temps, you cut straight across it.

For reference purposes- my hiking partner and I were planning to attempt a bushwack of Cliff off the western face, which is purported to have great views. We screwed around for a hour fishing through spruce traps and maybe tacked on an extra mile before aborting and heading up the packed out route. Our total trip distance was 16.1 miles.

Bottom line- plan on a full day if you go for one or either from Upper Works.

It would seem i am working from incorrect information.

It would seem i am working from incorrect information.
I think I see the AllTrails log you're referring to- I think they're showing the distance round trip from Lake Colden, which would make more sense. If you tack on the 6.1 from the roughly five miles round trip from Upper Works- now you're at 16, just for Redfield. Math checks out, I believe...

Thinking of going for the LP 9er with wife and kids. We've already knocked off Cobble Hill, Mount Jo, and Baxter (which I think are the three easiest). Figured we'd tackle the remaining six over three trips in pairs - Mt. Van Hoevenberg/Pitchoff; Bear Den/Catamount; Big Crow/Hurricane.

A few questions (i know the answers are largely subjective) -

I've read Catamount has a pretty steep, exposed slide (not sure if it is with the Chimney or after the Chimney). Will an 8 year old be able to navigate that? Is it "scary"?

Generally, how early in the spring can we begin going up without needing to have crampons?

When does black fly season start?

The goal is to knock those out in spring, let black fly season pass, then come back in August and maybe do Cascade and Porter, or Giant, or Wright, or some other High Peak that makes sense as a not too-intensive single or pair (maybe like a max of 4-5 hours on the trail).

Thinking of going for the LP 9er with wife and kids. We've already knocked off Cobble Hill, Mount Jo, and Baxter (which I think are the three easiest). Figured we'd tackle the remaining six over three trips in pairs - Mt. Van Hoevenberg/Pitchoff; Bear Den/Catamount; Big Crow/Hurricane.

I've read Catamount has a pretty steep, exposed slide (not sure if it is with the Chimney or after the Chimney). Will an 8 year old be able to navigate that? Is it "scary"?

Generally, how early in the spring can we begin going up without needing to have crampons?

The goal is to knock those out in spring, let black fly season pass, then come back in August and maybe do Cascade and Porter, or Giant, or Wright, or some other High Peak that makes sense as a not too-intensive single or pair (maybe like a max of 4-5 hours on the trail).

As far as I know, those things become mud pits in the spring. Black fly season I think can vary a little, but from Mother’s Day to Father’s Day is a general rule of thumb for when they’re at their worst.

I've never climbed Catamount so can't share thoughts on the tenacity of the chimney. I know friends who climbed Pitchoff with their kids (probably ages 6-8 at the time). But let me know how it goes- my three year old is still a bit too little for any peaks but I'm eager to get her onto the trails when she's older. I've primarily taken the family hiking on some of the flatter trails around Old Forge, with the exception of Rocky Mountain.

Re: crampons, that's a really tough question to answer as it's condition dependent, but usually by May you're good. I've climbed enough times in April where I needed (or should have used) microspikes over some stretches of ice that I can confidently tell you to wait until May. The guidance on black flies coming out from Mothers to Fathers day is dead on- so early May might be your best bet. Like anything else keep an eye on conditions. I've seen snow on the summits of mountains in June- but usually that's the 4600ft + peaks.

Any weekend in August where you attempt Cascade/Porter- be prepared to spend the day amongst dozens of other hikers. Giant is a great call as is Wright. Other one to consider is Phelps- little bit longer than those but great views up the valley towards Marcy.

How was that Courtyard in Placid- I am crashing there in a few weeks after a planned climb up Colden...can you walk to Big Slide Brewing?

I've never climbed Catamount so can't share thoughts on the tenacity of the chimney. I know friends who climbed Pitchoff with their kids (probably ages 6-8 at the time). But let me know how it goes- my three year old is still a bit too little for any peaks but I'm eager to get her onto the trails when she's older. I've primarily taken the family hiking on some of the flatter trails around Old Forge, with the exception of Rocky Mountain.

Re: crampons, that's a really tough question to answer as it's condition dependent, but usually by May you're good. I've climbed enough times in April where I needed (or should have used) microspikes over some stretches of ice that I can confidently tell you to wait until May. The guidance on black flies coming out from Mothers to Fathers day is dead on- so early May might be your best bet. Like anything else keep an eye on conditions. I've seen snow on the summits of mountains in June- but usually that's the 4600ft + peaks.

Any weekend in August where you attempt Cascade/Porter- be prepared to spend the day amongst dozens of other hikers. Giant is a great call as is Wright. Other one to consider is Phelps- little bit longer than those but great views up the valley towards Marcy.

How was that Courtyard in Placid- I am crashing there in a few weeks after a planned climb up Colden...can you walk to Big Slide Brewing?

Thanks as always for the tips. Maybe I'll get a room for a Saturday night in early May. With my kids getting older, its there are more activities competing for our time.

That Courtyard is nice, but we also went during Covid, so we didn't do much other than check in, go the room, and check out. I'm generally one who likes to stay where you can just park the car and leave it. I recall the Courtyard being far enough from the Village, and far enough from Big Slide Brewery, that it discouraged me from walking to either. It was also really cold that afternoon/evening. If I recall, it was like low 50's when we left Saratoga around 10 in the morning, and by late afternoon/evening, it was like low 30s with lots of wind. With the kids, there is no way I was walking that. With drinking buddies (I don't actually have those), maybe, but still doubtful.

Thanks as always for the tips. Maybe I'll get a room for a Saturday night in early May. With my kids getting older, its there are more activities competing for our time.

That Courtyard is nice, but we also went during Covid, so we didn't do much other than check in, go the room, and check out. I'm generally one who likes to stay where you can just park the car and leave it. I recall the Courtyard being far enough from the Village, and far enough from Big Slide Brewery, that it discouraged me from walking to either. It was also really cold that afternoon/evening. If I recall, it was like low 50's when we left Saratoga around 10 in the morning, and by late afternoon/evening, it was like low 30s with lots of wind. With the kids, there is no way I was walking that. With drinking buddies (I don't actually have those), maybe, but still doubtful.
Thanks, that's basically what I'm using it for- warm bed and hot shower. Normally I'm like you, prefer to stay within walking distance of everything but most options are either sold out or require two night minimums. However the reality of 12+ miles of winter hiking combined with COVID restrictions are that I probably won't feel like walking too far anyway..

Continuing my quest to turn this into my own personal hiking log- climbed Algonquin and Iroquois on Sunday. My friends and I met at the Loj at 5am. Following COVID protocols, four guys took four cars and represented half of the cars in the parking lot (more on that later). Insanely calm day above tree line, temperature was in the twenties with a low breeze (if you've ever been up there in winter, goggles are usually a must). There was one other group of four on the summit of Algonquin and we had Iroquois to ourselves.

The descent was another matter- we probably passed 30 people on their way up to Algonquin with at least another twenty at or past the intersection that leads to Avalanche Lake. The aforementioned parking lot was completely full when we completed the climb at c. 11am. Busy times in the High Peaks.

For future reference that Courtyard Marriott is nice- although I basically sat in my room, drank two beers and went to bed. 15 minutes from the Loj made an early AM wake up a little easier...

If you're planning to do Colden, wait until July and take the trap dike route. A little dangerous but a truly awesome climb.

If you're planning to do Colden, wait until July and take the trap dike route. A little dangerous but a truly awesome climb.
Great suggestion! Heard similar themes- little treacherous but an unbelievable climb. I need to do Colden in winter but obviously we'll be sticking to the main trail for that one.

There are some great slide climbs that are on my list. Couple buddies and I did the slide on Whiteface a few years ago in summer, that was a ton of fun. I've also heard that there is a slide climb up Cascade that is short but a blast, plus you avoid the crowds for at least half...

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not, but since it's Adirondacks-related, I'll put it here. I'm heading to Lake Placid in July for a wedding. I've never been before. Gonna do a long weekend (Thursday through Sunday). Any recommendations on what I should try to see/do? I should have the evening on Thursday, all day Friday and Saturday morning free.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not, but since it's Adirondacks-related, I'll put it here. I'm heading to Lake Placid in July for a wedding. I've never been before. Gonna do a long weekend (Thursday through Sunday). Any recommendations on what I should try to see/do? I should have the evening on Thursday, all day Friday and Saturday morning free.

My only immediate insight is to book a room ASAP. I believe hotels become completely booked pretty regularly and quickly during the summer.

My only immediate insight is to book a room ASAP. I believe hotels become completely booked pretty regularly and quickly during the summer.

Oh yeah we booked an Airbnb, since my brother and his family will be there plus my mother, who will be handling babysitting duties.

Some of my favorite stops in town:

Smoke Signals - Home
Best restaurant in town, IMO. Great food, great service, great building and setting. I like sitting outside if possible, but inside is great too. Place has gotten really popular, so reservations are needed. Used to be an SU grad who was managing the place - great guy - I watched multiple SU football games at the bar in there. He’s not there anymore though, unfortunately.

The Cottage
It’s fine as a restaurant, but really I like coming here for getting an afternoon beer or two from the bar and taking it outside to the Adirondack chairs right on the water. Can’t beat that.

Dining in Lake Placid | High Peaks Resort
Another solid restaurant with a place to grab some outdoor drinks with great views.

Big Mountain Deli & Creperie | Hours + Location | Eat Lake Placid
Great lunch spot to grab a sandwich. They have a different sandwich named after each of the 46 high peaks. Lots of great options.

Real Town. Real Beer. | Lake Placid Pub & Brewery
Definitely a must stop at some point. Their well known Ubu Ale is way better here, than it is in the bottles sold at stores(which is brewed somewhere else I believe). 3 different bars on different floors, here. Also, some solid food options. I’m a “Josh’s Fire Fish” guy.

Eat. Drink. Brew. | Big Slide Brewery
Newer place that is not on the Main Street by Mirror Lake, but is a short drive away. One of the better new breweries in upstate NY, IMO. Great setting, friendly service, good beer, and food.

Mirror Lake Loop
Enjoyable and easy walk around the lake.

The Adirondack Popcorn Co. (Lake Placid) - 2021 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - Tripadvisor
Always a cool place to stop.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite stops in town:

Smoke Signals - Home
Best restaurant in town, IMO. Great food, great service, great building and setting. I like sitting outside if possible, but inside is great too. Place has gotten really popular, so reservations are needed. Used to be an SU grad who was managing the place - great guy - I watched multiple SU football games at the bar in there. He’s not there anymore though, unfortunately.

The Cottage
It’s fine as a restaurant, but really I like coming here for getting an afternoon beer or two from the bar and taking it outside to the Adirondack chairs right on the water. Can’t beat that.

Dining in Lake Placid | High Peaks Resort
Another solid restaurant with a place to grab some outdoor drinks with great views.

Big Mountain Deli & Creperie | Hours + Location | Eat Lake Placid
Great lunch spot to grab a sandwich. They have a different sandwich named after each of the 46 high peaks. Lots of great options.

Real Town. Real Beer. | Lake Placid Pub & Brewery
Definitely a must stop at some point. Their well known Ubu Ale is way better here, than it is in the bottles sold at stores(which is brewed somewhere else I believe). 3 different bars on different floors, here. Also, some solid food options. I’m a “Josh’s Fire Fish” guy.

Eat. Drink. Brew. | Big Slide Brewery
Newer place that is not on the Main Street by Mirror Lake, but is a short drive away. One of the better new breweries in upstate NY, IMO. Great setting, friendly service, good beer, and food.

Mirror Lake Loop
Enjoyable and easy walk around the lake.

The Adirondack Popcorn Co. (Lake Placid) - 2021 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - Tripadvisor
Always a cool place to stop.

Awesome, thanks! The only place I really knew I need to go to was Lake Placid Pub and Brewery.

Awesome, thanks! The only place I really knew I need to go to was Lake Placid Pub and Brewery.
Yes, love that town. Hope it’s largely back to normal this summer. I didn’t go at all last year and missed it. From like 2012-2019, I was probably there a couple times every summer/fall.

Just stumbled across this thread. An almost 2X 46R here. Finished in 2002, have approx 180 under my belt, but still need to get back to Seward/Donaldson/Emmons a second time...

Anyways, haven't seen anyone recommend Phelps as a good starter high peak. Easy walk in, you get to check out the Marcy Dam area and only about 1 mile of vertical hiking ending with nice views from the top. I carried one of my boys up it in one of those kid carrier packs when he was 2 or so, and then it was one of the first ones he actually hiked up himself. Approx 8 miles round trip.

Avoided the high peaks last year due to the crowds and hiked elsewhere. Someone else mentioned Blue which is a great one - if you don't want the elevation there is a short easy hike to Castle Rock which is a beautiful spot overlooking Blue Mtn Lake. Also did Mt Adams for the first time in years which is a short steep hike with incredible closeup views of the high peaks from the fire tower.

Someone else mentioned Sawteeth which is another great one not too tricky and can't beat the payoff. One of the more memorable days a buddy and I did Colvin, Blake, then down the 'elevator shaft' trail to the inlet between Lower and Upper Ausable Lakes. Planned to walk the mile dirt road on AMR property (which is legal as hikers have an easement) but the caretaker was coming thru on his ATV had us jump in the back of his wagon gave us a ride. They have some beautiful buildings back there about as secluded as you can get. Thanked him for the ride he hooked us up with cold water and we set out to go up and over Sawteeth to get back out. After 5 mins in the woods came out onto a stream bed and it was like we stepped into a Budweiser commercial - three bikini clad young women sunbathing with a cooler of beer and picnic basket. This is literally 6-7 miles from civilization but they obviously hook up their members up with all the comforts of home. They were startled to see us two sweaty muddy dudes as that trail doesn't get much public use. After 20 seconds or so their boyfriends appeared gave us that 'get out of here' look so away we went.

Rocky from Rt 9 (long route but you get several miles over open rock) in the fall is probably the single best trek in the Adks. If you can spot a car at the Giant trailhead even better.

Parking has unfortunately become an issue everywhere though not sure what the answer is can only imagine what it will be like when the border re-opens. Hiking out of Upper Works probably the best bet.

Love the high peaks wish I could knock off 15 or so a year like I used to when younger, no kids, less job responsibility etc!

I imagine we’ll be seeing more of this if the number of hikers continues to increase.

Just stumbled across this thread. An almost 2X 46R here. Finished in 2002, have approx 180 under my belt, but still need to get back to Seward/Donaldson/Emmons a second time...

Anyways, haven't seen anyone recommend Phelps as a good starter high peak. Easy walk in, you get to check out the Marcy Dam area and only about 1 mile of vertical hiking ending with nice views from the top. I carried one of my boys up it in one of those kid carrier packs when he was 2 or so, and then it was one of the first ones he actually hiked up himself. Approx 8 miles round trip.

Avoided the high peaks last year due to the crowds and hiked elsewhere. Someone else mentioned Blue which is a great one - if you don't want the elevation there is a short easy hike to Castle Rock which is a beautiful spot overlooking Blue Mtn Lake. Also did Mt Adams for the first time in years which is a short steep hike with incredible closeup views of the high peaks from the fire tower.

Someone else mentioned Sawteeth which is another great one not too tricky and can't beat the payoff. One of the more memorable days a buddy and I did Colvin, Blake, then down the 'elevator shaft' trail to the inlet between Lower and Upper Ausable Lakes. Planned to walk the mile dirt road on AMR property (which is legal as hikers have an easement) but the caretaker was coming thru on his ATV had us jump in the back of his wagon gave us a ride. They have some beautiful buildings back there about as secluded as you can get. Thanked him for the ride he hooked us up with cold water and we set out to go up and over Sawteeth to get back out. After 5 mins in the woods came out onto a stream bed and it was like we stepped into a Budweiser commercial - three bikini clad young women sunbathing with a cooler of beer and picnic basket. This is literally 6-7 miles from civilization but they obviously hook up their members up with all the comforts of home. They were startled to see us two sweaty muddy dudes as that trail doesn't get much public use. After 20 seconds or so their boyfriends appeared gave us that 'get out of here' look so away we went.

Rocky from Rt 9 (long route but you get several miles over open rock) in the fall is probably the single best trek in the Adks. If you can spot a car at the Giant trailhead even better.

Parking has unfortunately become an issue everywhere though not sure what the answer is can only imagine what it will be like when the border re-opens. Hiking out of Upper Works probably the best bet.

Love the high peaks wish I could knock off 15 or so a year like I used to when younger, no kids, less job responsibility etc!

You seem like a wealth of knowledge. Can you tell me more about the 3 bikini clad young women?

I've done Castle Rock a couple times, as my family camps in Raquette Lake every year, so it's a short car ride. Like you said, it's a relatively easy hike and the payoff of the view is spectacular. Have done it a couple of times with my dad, who became a 46er in 1976. The big hikes aren't for him anymore, so that's a good middle ground. I believe the trailhead is right by a conference/retreat center that is owned by SU.