Adirondack High Peaks | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Adirondack High Peaks

Nice! I’m going to assume I did that the same way because “endless descent” is exactly what stands out.

I remember after finishing the 5th peak feeling pretty great. Like, alright we got 5 peaks in and I’m not even that tired and the views are incredible! Had a great time to that point

But that descent...wow! Was I ever miserable by the end. It just wouldn’t end and you were constantly on rocks where you had to really watch your step the whole time. My knees and feet were just cooked by the last couple miles. Mentally exhausting too.

Made me wish we had camped out, out there. Then doing the descent and coming out the next day when fresh would’ve been no big deal.
Many an expletive was uttered on that trail. The Lillian and Slide brook lean to looked pretty good to me that evening

Any 46ers or avid hikers want to impart some advice about a first Adirondack High Peak hike for someone who is in decent enough shape (thanks Peloton [also come at me bro]) but not particularly outdoors-ey or experienced? I know there are also non-High Peaks that people say are great hikes, but Mrs. Shrmdougluvr and i are actually going to have a moment together the week of the 17th, and would like to try tackling a High Peak or Peaks one weekday.

From my research, it seems the Cascade and Porter duo are the easiest to start with, but I'd actually rather save those for another occasion when my kids can come. Right now, I am focusing on Big Slide; Dial and Nippletop; Phelps and Tabletop; or Whiteface and Esther. Any insight offered is appreciated.

Edit: Also, I do not want to be attacked by a bear.
The Bear don’t bet on football

Enjoyed a true sunrise on Cascade the Tuesday of last week with my daughter. Headlamps all the way up and summited at 5:05 to a band of orange across the horizon. Sun popped up about a half hour later and we set off to Porter a little after 6:00. Back to the car 9:30-ish after an intentionally slow descent.

And, yes, on the way down we may have humble-bragged to a few groups on their way up thinking they had gotten an early start :cool:.

This puts me at 24 of 46 ( 0/46W).

Anyone up in the high peaks area? Was wondering if it's worth a drive tomorrow to see the leaves, and do a quick hike or if we should hold out for another week. Conflicting reports say anywhere from 75% changed to just 45-50% changed. Prefer to catch peak if we can...

Anyone up in the high peaks area? Was wondering if it's worth a drive tomorrow to see the leaves, and do a quick hike or if we should hold out for another week. Conflicting reports say anywhere from 75% changed to just 45-50% changed. Prefer to catch peak if we can...
Just left fish creek ponds in Tupper Lake. Leaves are about 20% in my opinion. I’d wait another week

Just left fish creek ponds in Tupper Lake. Leaves are about 20% in my opinion. I’d wait another week
Hiked Burnt Mt. in northern VT today. I’d guess we saw 30-40% changing. Worth waiting another week.

Hike was fairly easy, but was nice because it was private land and off the beaten path.

did the Sewards last weekend. Leaves were just starting to change

so went up and hiked a couple peaks in the keene valley area yesterday... leaves at best are 40%. some mountain flanks are yellow/orange, a few reds... but lots o green yet.

out of curiosity what is everyone's favorite fall hikes in the 'racks?

Castle Rock is a short climb with an outstanding view. It feels like you can reach out and touch Blue MT. Lake from the summit.

You can also check out SU’s swanky retreat camp at the trailhead.

Castle Rock is a short climb with an outstanding view. It feels like you can reach out and touch Blue MT. Lake from the summit.
Have climbed Blue Mountain a bunch of times(one of my favorites), and didn’t even know about Castle Rock. Will have to check that out.

Have climbed Blue Mountain a bunch of times(one of my favorites), and didn’t even know about Castle Rock. Will have to check that out.
Ya, it wasn't even a DEC trail until fairly recently. You have to go down Maple Lodge Rd a couple miles, past MinnowBrook Conference center, and the Hemlock Hall Resort. Pretty easy hike up (the end is quite steep and eroded) but the view is well worth the effort.

curious if there are any local CNY hiking groups that go up to the racks this time of year. Jones-ing for a few hikes, but hiking alone isn't the safest option for the higher peaks.

Leaf peeping PSA: guys, fair warning, if you want to see nice leaves in the 'racks, head to the Keene Valley area and up around Ausable/Wilmington/Jay. The mountain tops are past peak, but the valleys are near peak right now. Anecdotally I hear that around Lake Pleasant to Lake George it is very nice as well. Most other areas are well past peak and colors have faded or have significant leaf drop. FYI

Leaf peeping PSA: guys, fair warning, if you want to see nice leaves in the 'racks, head to the Keene Valley area and up around Ausable/Wilmington/Jay. The mountain tops are past peak, but the valleys are near peak right now. Anecdotally I hear that around Lake Pleasant to Lake George it is very nice as well. Most other areas are well past peak and colors have faded or have significant leaf drop. FYI
Agree with this, I am in Old Forge and while it's at peak there are also a lot of leaves on the ground. Colors are beautiful...

Agree with this, I am in Old Forge and while it's at peak there are also a lot of leaves on the ground. Colors are beautiful...
I was up in old forge last weekend, and came through again yesterday. The scarlet red maples are either on there way out, or dropped their leaves. Too me, that is what really makes the colors pop. Oranges and yellow are going strong, though if not a bit muted... you might be able to find a patch here or there that has it all going on though. Either way, it's still very pretty, and a joy to experience!

I was up in old forge last weekend, and came through again yesterday. The scarlet red maples are either on there way out, or dropped their leaves. Too me, that is what really makes the colors pop. Oranges and yellow are going strong, though if not a bit muted... you might be able to find a patch here or there that has it all going on though. Either way, it's still very pretty, and a joy to experience!
I was in Hamilton to play Seven Oaks yesterday. That area, around Route 20, is near peak right now. Very pretty to drive through.

Ya, it wasn't even a DEC trail until fairly recently. You have to go down Maple Lodge Rd a couple miles, past MinnowBrook Conference center, and the Hemlock Hall Resort. Pretty easy hike up (the end is quite steep and eroded) but the view is well worth the effort.
Glad you posted about this! I’m on Castle Rock right now! Amazing day to be out here.

Same is true for southern Vermont area this past weekend. I was in Londonderry area. Colors are beautiful, but the reds were definitely the minority.

I was in Hamilton to play Seven Oaks yesterday. That area, around Route 20, is near peak right now. Very pretty to drive through.
Seven Oaks is an outstanding track for fall golf, good choice. Family member played Leatherstocking/Otesaga a week back, said virtually the same thing- drive was a great visual warm up.

anyone hike any high peaks in shoulder season? If so, what type of micro-spikes are recommended? Is there a need for snow shoes as well?

anyone hike any high peaks in shoulder season? If so, what type of micro-spikes are recommended? Is there a need for snow shoes as well?
I have hiked in late spring and late fall. spikes are definitely needed. I have never needed snow shoes in that time but then again it depends on how much snow is there. When I went there was some snow but not enough for snowshoes.

Climbed Mount Marshall from Upper Works yesterday. My first time up there since the state blocked off the last quarter mile of the road last in the summer as an educational district (my words) on the old mining town ruins that are there. Its actually pretty interesting- but my tired legs didn’t appreciate the extra distance ;).

What was interesting is that our small group of three never saw another soul on the trail the entire day. Only 2-3 cars in the parking lot. I know it was a Monday but wow, surprised how quiet it was.

Anyone who might be planning a holiday hike from there- trail was completely broken out, even past where we turned up Herbert Brook….