After 8 games... | Syracusefan.com

After 8 games...

cap2nine

Scout Team
Who’s our MVP?

At the beginning of the season I would have prayed for Coleman, hoped for Ennis and expected Fair. I think two of those three (the obvious ones) have to be considered but Cooney is in the mix as well.

I’m going with Fair with slight edge over Tyler but I’m thrilled that I can deliberate this with three viable candidates while two or three others could rise to the conversation later in the year.

I agree that all three are bunched in the mix, but I give the edge to Ennis right now

The most important player is Ennis. Where is the team without him? He's taking his place alongside the great frosh points Cuse's had.

VaBeachOrFan said:
This is too easy: Fair for MVP Ennis for ROY Cooney for MIP (Most Improved Player) Grant for HDP (Highest Draft Pick) -VBOF

That's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Certainly difficult since several players represent essential components responsible for the teams success. The point guard sets the tone for the entire offensive mechanism of the team. With that having been said there can be no denial of the importance of Ennis to the team thus far. CJ is undeniably a focal point of our opponents defensive efforts and his steady play, calm demeanor, and leadership through example has made him the anchor of the team. That having been said, we did still manage quite well while he was on the bench with 4 fouls vs. IU but Jerami Grant is certainly not "interchangeable" with CJ, he brings a similar yet different skillset. Since Ennis and CJ would seem to be 2 of the 3 who would likely be considered as "YDTMVP" (Year to date MVP) the other player is Trevor.

Gun to head, have to choose one, I pick Trevor Cooney. If there was a player that I could hold up to other people as an example of what this team is about, or what I'd like to believe it's about, it would be TC. He is emblematic of the struggle to rise up and overcome adversity through hard work, mettle, and focused determination all strung together by a commitment to "team above self". When Trevor hits a couple 3's the entire team is suddenly transformed and seemingly ratchets up to another level. We've all heard the worn out meme of how we are not as long at the guard positions , yada, yada, yada. But the intensity of TC has arguably made up for any deficiency in size from last year and it's Trevor's play which is giving birth to a different yet still highly effective defensive characteristic of the zone. The steals and turnovers are starting to come in bunches and many are at the hands of TC's defensive intensity.

For myself, there is something special about a kid who is GMAC's first true protégé and it's hard not to watch TC play and not be harkened back to the play of GMAC and how much he was the heart and soul of the Syracuse program and had major accomplishments even at times when he didn't have much of a supporting cast.

Any kid who seemingly always has the ability to make a dollar out of 75 cents always gets my vote. When news first surfaced about the kid from Delaware that had some GMAC like qualities I was excited and intrigued by the prospect of him playing for Syracuse. Watching him since he arrived and having recently read the accounts of how hard he has worked and dedicated himself to being the best he could be when he suits up in Orange, I can't help but give him my vote. We are very, very fortunate to have Trevor Cooney wearing the Syracuse Uniform.

I agree that all three are bunched in the mix, but I give the edge to Ennis right now
Maybe I've missed them, but are you doing the player ranking threads this season?

Maybe I've missed them, but are you doing the player ranking threads this season?
no, I haven't. Maybe I'll run one on Monday to gauge the interest.

In my personal opinion, there is no way that Fair is the MVP. If we lost CJ to a season-ending injury, it would unquestionably hurt us, but Grant would step in, and then one of the other non-playing forwards would work their way into the rotation.

If we lost Ennis or Cooney to a season-ending injury, close up shop, season over. I would give a very slight edge to Cooney, but Ennis has been absolutely fantastic.

I would say Ennis, and its not close. We have no alternative for him. he is the top PG in the country right now. Period. This could change of course, but he is the main reason we will be ranked #3 come Monday and why we have a chance to go real deep.

Let's not get crazy here… Marcus Smart?

He isnt a PG. he might play there (like GMac did his senior year), but hes a SG all the way.
Point taken though, sort of.

Maybe i should re-phrase. There isnt a PG in the nation i would choose over Ennis for our team.

It depends. In terms of best player, I'd go with CJ, even if I question his ability to play in the NBA.

In terms of being irreplaceable, I would say it's definitely between Cooney and Ennis. We really cannot afford to lose either of those two guys. I feel like Cooney is responsible for the majority of the movement in our offense (which, credit to Boeheim, I feel like this is the most movement that I've seen from our team in the halfcourt in a long time). At the same time, if we lose Ennis, I'd be pretty petrified about who would be handling the ball. Gbinije has struggled with his handle a bit recently, and if you have Cooney handling the ball, it means he isn't playing off the ball, which takes a lot away from our team.

Maybe i should re-phrase. There isnt a PG in the nation i would choose over Ennis for our team.

Fair enough - that I can certainly get with.

He isnt a PG. he might play there (like GMac did his senior year), but hes a SG all the way.
Point taken though, sort of.

I agree that Smart is more of a SG than a PG, and I agree that if you're looking at the big picture, I'd probably choose Ennis over almost anyone else. But in terms of just this season, there's still a bunch of PGs that I would say I'd rather have (strictly for one year).

I agree that Smart is more of a SG than a PG, and I agree that if you're looking at the big picture, I'd probably choose Ennis over almost anyone else. But in terms of just this season, there's still a bunch of PGs that I would say I'd rather have (strictly for one year).

such as?

such as?

Off the top of my head, Kyle Anderson (who is like 6'9", but in terms of playing style, he's pretty much UCLA's PG), Shabazz Napier (as much as it pains me to say it), probably someone like Keith Appling or Kevin Pangos.

But again, looking at the big picture (the fact that Ennis will hopefully continue to grow his game and be here for 3+ years), I think we have the guy that we want.