After rewatching the Pitt game.Doris Burke's love for Jamie Dixon = Dickie V's love for Coach K/Duke | Syracusefan.com

After rewatching the Pitt game.Doris Burke's love for Jamie Dixon = Dickie V's love for Coach K/Duke

Alsacs

Living Legend
I have come to conclusion that Doris really isn't that bad a commentator unless she is broadcasting a Jamie Dixon game. I realize she was all over Jabari Parker during the BC-Duke game last weekend, but her Dick Vitale obsession of Duke is actually with Jamie Dixon and Pitt. It seems like she just really likes Dixon/Pitt so much that she is a fan when she broadcasts a Pitt game. She isn't anti-Syracuse as much as she is pro-Jamie Dixon. I get why Dick Vitale loves Duke and Coach K he was tight with Jimmy V who was close friends with Coach K near the end of his life when he became a broadcaster. However, I have no clue why Burke loves Dixon/Pitt as much.

Agree. It was like a 2-hour infomercial for the Pitt program. Just from listening to her commentary, I think it's clear that Dixon really opened up the program to her. He even had her over at his home. He's good at self-promotion. The problem Pitt has is that they have been very good at least in the regular season for a long while now but haven't been able to pull in the top shelf recruits. They're still a developmental program. No doubt Dixon realizes that it's not just style of play that holds him back in the tourney but talent. He wants to take the next step and getting the tv people gushing over you during a game maybe can help. So you open things up for Doris. Don't know, though, if Doris returned the favor and opened things up for Jamie.

Agree. I will say the same for Dick Vitale. I really don't mind either. Although if given a choice I would prefer Dick 100 times over than Doris.

Nothing will ever beat the Big Monday dream team... Sean McDonough, Bill Raftery and Jay Bilas.

Agree. I will say the same for Dick Vitale. I really don't mind either. Although if given a choice I would prefer Dick 100 times over than Doris.

Nothing will ever beat the Big Monday dream team... Sean McDonough, Bill Raftery and Jay Bilas.
you have it 1/2 right. Sean, Jay and Bill were the best. Vitale however, is something else. He spent the entire Syracuse Duke game plotting how to beat us. Never did he say, syracuse should do this against Duke. That is part of his job.

Although if given a choice I would prefer Dick 100 times over than Doris.

"Me too."

images

you have it 1/2 right. Sean, Jay and Bill were the best. Vitale however, is something else. He spent the entire Syracuse Duke game plotting how to beat us. Never did he say, syracuse should do this against Duke. That is part of his job.

Sure, I can see that- def agree. But Dick takes nothing away from us in the process. I mean I can't hate him for being a homer... when he is definitely fan first. He's passionate and tends to get involved in the community anywhere he goes. That I can respect.

I have come to conclusion that Doris really isn't that bad a commentator unless she is broadcasting a Jamie Dixon game. I realize she was all over Jabari Parker during the BC-Duke game last weekend, but her Dick Vitale obsession of Duke is actually with Jamie Dixon and Pitt. It seems like she just really likes Dixon/Pitt so much that she is a fan when she broadcasts a Pitt game. She isn't anti-Syracuse as much as she is pro-Jamie Dixon. I get why Dick Vitale loves Duke and Coach K he was tight with Jimmy V who was close friends with Coach K near the end of his life when he became a broadcaster. However, I have no clue why Burke loves Dixon/Pitt as much.

I watched the game again last night. When we watched game night, with passions high, all of us were upset that Doris in particular and ESPN in general seemed ridiculously anti-SU. However, with passions subdued somewhat, I realized that ESPN undoubtedly had a storyline to promote. Perhaps they already knew that Doris and Dixon were friends, or perhaps they shoved Doris onto Dixon. Who knows, but it is clear that she spent the night at his house and rode in with him and the kids.

The storyline is: Pitt has never lost to a top 5 opponent at the Peterson Center. SU was undefeated but played Pitt close up at the Dome. So, how is Pitt going to beat Syracuse?? That was the emphasis. How might they do it? Once I understood that they were trying to tell a certain story (albeit a slant I don't like), I could tolerate the comments better. It was more a point of emphasis rather than both moderators hate SU and LOVE Pitt. The storyline was also, "In the last 5 minutes, Tyler Ennis and SU step it up." So, they started promoting that storyline.

I don't know, with the win under our belts, I felt much less testy about it at the second viewing.

I muted a broadcast for the first time ever during that game. When I re-watched the game - it actually made me madder. I can't stand Pitt. It's 1,000 suns type fury. Even knowing we won, I could barely watch that replay. And then to listen to her garbage it was still almost too much.

I think what was going on was that Doris anticipated the upset because we trailed most of the game and she wanted to be on the "winning" side. It just showed her lack of bona fide insight as to what the #1 team was all about.

I think this is all making a mountain out of a molehill. There was only one time I thought there was some bias on her part. She never really commended CJ on that corner 3. Instead she got on Patterson hard for not closing better. Still, any home team is probably going to get a little more exposure and coverage on air especially in a game of this magnitude. Meh, whatever.

Am I the only one who was being driven absolutely insane by Burke refusing to call Patterson anything but "Lamar"?

It was beyond annoying.

Are she and Dixon an item?

I think she views him as the one that got away. She's also on the short list if anything happens to Mrs. Dixon of course the police would probably consider her a suspect . . . . . . .

Am I the only one who was being driven absolutely insane by Burke refusing to call Patterson anything but "Lamar"?

It was beyond annoying.

Lamar is such a well rounded player and he let me rub his well rounded :bat:

Who really gives a crap. Whatever they say during the game matters not - only the end of the game - when they say, "Final score Syracuse wins [whatever] to [whatever[."

She was terrible in this game. She rarely ever commented on non-foul calls or bad foul calls that Bilas would have been all over. I hope we don't see her again anytime soon.