• Reminder: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

There’s a link in the top navigation bar for Amazon.com. Purchases made via this link help support Syracusefan.com.

After Years of Supporting a Bad Product...

All Conference
Cous -150 favorite as Ish isn’t as good at it.
Cous in moderation isn’t as obvious about it.
I'm not sure about this distinction.

One of these guys is deliberately trying to be annoying, the other is just talking out of his hat and usually doesn't even seem to be aware that others think his takes are off the wall.

Ish88888

All American
OK, game tickets are $50 face value; sure charge $75. That's fine. 50% mark-up.

Airfare can be had for $250-300. We have some new airlines in Syracuse with cheap direct flights to Florida. Mark it up $100 (33%), and you've got $400 per person.

Hotel rooms at $159/night for 2 nights, 2 queen beds. That's $350 more after taxes. That's $175 per person per night. Mark it up another $50 per person for convenience and staying with other SU fans. That's $400 per person for 2 nights, including 25% mark-up to the University.

Include the $75 tailgate and an airport shuttle. Add another $100.

That's $975 per person for the trip, including air, hotel, the tailgate, airport shuttle and ticket to the game. That's less than half what the University is charging, and they still will earn the University $175 per person, an 18% profit.

We would sell out our full allotment at that price.
Right now, I'll bet we struggle to sell those packages.
With group discounts on rooms and travel/shuttle, the University is making well over $1000 per person. That's a lot.

Rather than treating the bowl game like it's a boosters only event, which is what they do with pricing like this, they should realize that we need participation, attendance, and good will from our fan base. Donations and season ticket purchases will follow. Short-term thinking by SU.
AMEN, you echo my frustrations and it is handled like a good ol boy booster event. Its set up to price people out instead of attempting to promote some new fans jumping aboard and getting them excited about possibly getting in the mix for season tickets.

Some have mentioned the package being similar to final 4 packages. Well, that basically says it all. This is the camping would bowl, we are playing for nothimg. Instead of pricing out the majority of your season ticket holders, why not reward them?

Ish88888

All American
Syracuse is not buying a bunch of plane tickets to be included, they are reserving seats on the TEAM charter. The hotel rooms are in the TEAM HOTEL. They're an athletic department not a travel agent
And thats part if the problem, the university is selling from the perspective all fans actually care about being in the team hotel, the charter, etc . Thats booster mentality and the pricing follows. If you want to make this part of a 2 or 3 tier ticket structure, then great.

Ish88888

All American
Overall ticket sales. They will sell out of the $2,100 package allotments.
Of course they will. When this pricing is set up, the university has its certain targets in terms of demographics. They will boast aboit this package being sold out and we will get alot of big donors down there, but wont have the amount of orange we could have.

MSOrange

Former Iggy Award Winner (used to be a big deal)
Of course they will. When this pricing is set up, the university has its certain targets in terms of demographics. They will boast aboit this package being sold out and we will get alot of big donors down there, but wont have the amount of orange we could have.
Because fans can''t buy tickets for an event and figure out how to get there themselves?

Ish88888

All American
You've spent 10s of thousands on SU football? I am VERY impressed. :p
No need to be rude about it.i tread lightly bc some of us have longer leashes on here in terms of sarcasm and insults.yea, i have, you have, most of us have. We all support the program and have sat through alot of shitty FB dreaming of this bowl game. Thus, it would be nice if the only structured package targeted more of a demographic than the T. Boone Pickens of Syracuse athletics.

Ish88888

All American
Because fans can''t buy tickets for an event and figure out how to get there themselves?[/QUOTE

Sure, i can. Alot of people can. Part of my point is consumer's love of package deals. The convenience, for x dollars you get...1,2,3,4... all the logistics are figured out ahead of time and its low stress. A more affordable package, not targeting the big donor and promoting more fans getting together is all i speak of.

KaiserUEO

Living Legend
It was a great read and pleasure seeing all the people in steerage here voice their displeasure over the cost of a 2nd, maybe 3rd Class all inclusive ticket package to the bowl game.

Pretty sure the Big Boosters and regular 1st Class folk aren’t flying out of CNY for this.

FRANKIEFAN

2nd String
Orlando/Disney during Christmas break is the holy grail for a certain segment of the population I do not think the university is getting a decent rate on these rooms and are probably paying through the nose. I think the premium is worth it if you want to spend the entire time around other SU fans and not take your chances on priceline likely to wind up around idiots in roll tide gear and a maga hats with their obese children running around the lobby screaming etc etc etc. This includes a charter flight and transport and a tailgate.

Fly commercial with a layover, rent a car, stay far from the stadium and not be able to drink, and save a few bucks if you would rather go that route SU will still happily sell you game tickets OP.

NineOneSeven

Living Legend
It was a great read and pleasure seeing all the people in steerage here voice their displeasure over the cost of a 2nd, maybe 3rd Class all inclusive ticket package to the bowl game.

Pretty sure the Big Boosters and regular 1st Class folk aren’t flying out of CNY for this.
What’s your take? That’s what the people want... no, demand!

CuseOnly

All American
I would be interested in how large the ticket allotment was and how many are sold through.

Would be great information.

MSOrange

Former Iggy Award Winner (used to be a big deal)
Lol, of course they are. The concerns? Geez, maybe that a few boosters got snowed in , in aspen or stuck in Aruba.
Why talk down about the boosters? They play a huge part in the success of the program. You know those Dome renovations and Dino's raise? It won't just be ACC money paying for it.

KellySyracuse

All American
funny story, I was able to go to the Sugar Bowl in 87 through Drumlins Travel because my boyfriend worked for Drumlins and volunteered to help be a concierge for the trip. I only had to pay for a room, food & drink. The day after the game there was a terrible ice storm in Syracuse so we all got stuck in New Orleans in the hotel's banquet room for most of the night and let me tell you there were quite a few unhappy people.

By the time we landed around 5am, probably about 12 hours after we were supposed to, the flight crew had had enough of complaining and moaning from some of the Syracuse elite. They couldn't get off the plane quick enough with a lot of comments of how much they hate coming to Syracuse.

One woman was so incensed that she had to wait for her baggage that she threw herself on the ground and started to scream, kicking her legs in the air.

I'll never forget it. I was 23 and it was my first trip to New Orleans hanging with a bunch of Cuse fans I didn't know. One of the best trips I've ever been on. So the moral of the story is, enjoy what life brings you cause it can't always be rainbows and fairy tales.

All of this hand wringing is just crazy to me. Everyone plans differently based on priorities and budget. I will be staying in a mid tier hotel on the absolute cheapest flight I could find, I did that so I could get the best possible ticket I could find. If I had more money I may have done the all inclusive. Hell, if I had even more than that I’d private charter down and rent a beach house and limo for the weekend. I don’t, so I chose what was really important to me, which was a great seat at the game.

We are all adults, doing this stuff on the Internet is simple, but people who want it simpler and more luxurious can do the all inclusive. There’s nothing wrong with that!

Top Bottom