After Years of Supporting a Bad Product...

IthacaMatt

Living Legend
It was a great read and pleasure seeing all the people in steerage here voice their displeasure over the cost of a 2nd, maybe 3rd Class all inclusive ticket package to the bowl game.

Pretty sure the Big Boosters and regular 1st Class folk aren’t flying out of CNY for this.

I, and many others, would be more pleased if those "big boosters" actually showed up to games more often so there weren't so many embarrassing silver seats at midfield / center court.

Maybe there is something to be said for casting a wider net. We have heard 1,000 times about SU sports not hitting their fund raising targets. Isn't SU teaching social media in Newhouse? Isn't the new trend getting thousands of smaller donors, instead of a few dozen / few hundred big ones?

IthacaMatt

Living Legend
All of this hand wringing is just crazy to me. Everyone plans differently based on priorities and budget. I will be staying in a mid tier hotel on the absolute cheapest flight I could find, I did that so I could get the best possible ticket I could find. If I had more money I may have done the all inclusive. Hell, if I had even more than that I’d private charter down and rent a beach house and limo for the weekend. I don’t, so I chose what was really important to me, which was a great seat at the game.

We are all adults, doing this stuff on the Internet is simple, but people who want it simpler and more luxurious can do the all inclusive. There’s nothing wrong with that!
There are 2 worthy points being made - if you make tiers of pricing and give a little more value, you might get a lot more donors and season ticket holders, off the feel good factor of this game.

In the fall of 2003, they got a record number of college undergraduate applications. They made a ton of money and improved their selectivity as a college off of that championship. And it gave our attendance a boost for several years, and allowed them to raise their premium seating contributions.

Nobody objects to them doing nice things for the premium crowd. But "nice things" could be nicer, and not so penny pinching, and there could be more encouragement of entry level activities to bring in new fans.

My thoughts and prayers are with those being forced to buy this travel package.
Don't you understand that they don't want your thoughts and prayers?

They want an immediate ban on inadequate travel packages. Background checks on the packagers. How many more fans need to be overcharged before lawmakers take action?

texascpa

Living Legend
It was a great read and pleasure seeing all the people in steerage here voice their displeasure over the cost of a 2nd, maybe 3rd Class all inclusive ticket package to the bowl game.

Pretty sure the Big Boosters and regular 1st Class folk aren’t flying out of CNY for this.
I'm flying 1st class. Is that the same thing?

texascpa

Living Legend
Sure, i can. Alot of people can. Part of my point is consumer's love of package deals. The convenience, for x dollars you get...1,2,3,4... all the logistics are figured out ahead of time and its low stress. A more affordable package, not targeting the big donor and promoting more fans getting together is all i speak of.
Ish, I'm not sure I understand your point. Any product that provides convenience, reduces stress, logistics, etc comes with a price tag. Why are you surprised and why shouldn't the travel agency do the same? The companies, even the university, is not a charity.

SmilinBob

Hall of Fame
Ish, I'm not sure I understand your point. Any product that provides convenience, reduces stress, logistics, etc comes with a price tag. Why are you surprised and why shouldn't the travel agency do the same? The companies, even the university, is not a charity.
If SU isn't a charity, why is it a write off and tax exempt? Not trying to argumentative here but just trying to understand why a business that is worth over a billion dollars get donations that are wrote off?

texascpa

Living Legend
If SU isn't a charity, why is it a write off and tax exempt? Not trying to argumentative here but just trying to understand why a business that is worth over a billion dollars get donations that are wrote off?
Okay, let me clarify, NOT all aspects of the university are of charity status.

I mean...

It would have been nice to have other packages offered besides the high roller package...if that was possible. I know they offered the one without airfare but that too was a little pricey for what you got.

I mean, flights are and were tough to get around that time without chartering a flight which is anything but cheap. I’m not defending the university because when I saw that price I was shocked. However, it is possible circumstances prevented them from having different packages available.

I really think in this case the university was banking on people booking their own stuff etc.

However, with that in mind, if people weren’t able to book their own stuff and the game was poorly attended the university would have no one to blame but themselves. But it’s 2018 and most are more than capable and happy to do it themselves.

Forza Azzurri

All Conference
The university's package "deal" for the CWB is an absolute slap in the face. We have all been aboard for the ride and have invested 10s of thousands of $$$. Sure, I get the cost and demand of flying and staying in Florida around the holidays. However, This package the university is offering for just over 48 hrs in Orlando. 2 nights, departing after the game late on friday night is a slap in the face.

Being advertised as getting alot for the $$$, this deal gives the cuse fan a ride roundtrip hotel to stadium, a $20 uber value, as well as a ticket to the open air club in the stadium...yawn, yes one of those open air club access tix on the 2nd level. No food or drink included. Also included is ACCESS to the pregame tailgate. All for $2,100 per person or a 2 person deal for $4,200. Imagine that.

Sorry SU. extremely weak. Extremely weak after this awesome year and a fanbase yearning for a bowl game. Then, the audacity to post a cuse.com article about painting Orlando orange and proving people wrong about Cuse NOT traveling.
I could empathize if the only way to get tix was with a package but the university is offering three options: land & air, land and tix-only.

That gives everyone enough flexibility that, if they don't like the price points of the packages, they can do some, or all of it, on their own.

20 years ago, this could have been a valid complaint but between the travel sites & the ticket sites, you can exclude the university option for any part of it...

Convenience is going to be marked up. Plus, I would think that everyone is getting a cut of this: Anthony's needs to make a profit. And I bet both the NCAA and SU are also getting a cut...

UnknownOrange

All Conference
And thats part if the problem, the university is selling from the perspective all fans actually care about being in the team hotel, the charter, etc . Thats booster mentality and the pricing follows. If you want to make this part of a 2 or 3 tier ticket structure, then great.
Just so I am clear - you're arguing that the university should have purchased tickets on airplanes going to orlando, bought blocks of hotel rooms in other hotels in the orlando area, and offered the cheapest game tickets possible in a package deal.

When you could just do all of it yourself and save yourself a marked up price from the university.

IthacaMatt

Living Legend
Just so I am clear - you're arguing that the university should have purchased tickets on airplanes going to orlando, bought blocks of hotel rooms in other hotels in the orlando area, and offered the cheapest game tickets possible in a package deal.

When you could just do all of it yourself and save yourself a marked up price from the university.

No, I think the point is that they could have made a 20-25% mark-up, instead of 50-60% mark-up, and brought more people into the tent.

UnknownOrange

All Conference
No, I think the point is that they could have made a 20-25% mark-up, instead of 50-60% mark-up, and brought more people into the tent.
And maybe you're right to offer a lesser package but even still - it's expensive, and convenience brings a higher price tag

However, how can you say it's a 60% mark up? Did you see how much flights were out of Syracuse? The flight alone for a single person (non direct, mind you) is up over $700. A direct flight? Over 1k

Bayside44

Staff member
This thread is nuts. The markup goes to pay people involved, and gives the donors convenience and a high quality experience - so they keep coming back. Heck it's friggin Disney on Christmas week. The Good Lord aside it sounds like a layer of Dante's inferno to go there.

If this board has provided ANY service at all, it's travel and ticket ideas for all pricepoints.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
I, and many others, would be more pleased if those "big boosters" actually showed up to games more often so there weren't so many embarrassing silver seats at midfield / center court.

Maybe there is something to be said for casting a wider net. We have heard 1,000 times about SU sports not hitting their fund raising targets. Isn't SU teaching social media in Newhouse? Isn't the new trend getting thousands of smaller donors, instead of a few dozen / few hundred big ones?
You probably don’t know that SU did change the donation format for football. Several C and D level sections were made non preferred and require no donation now while other donation sections had the donation reduced.

And you know who doesn’t go to the football games (not sure why you mention b-ball)? It’s not the individual big boosters. It’s the businesses that buy preferred seating to “give to clients” or as a “write off”.

Faegan

All Conference
You probably don’t know that SU did change the donation format for football. Several C and D level sections were made non preferred and require no donation now while other donation sections had the donation reduced.

And you know who doesn’t go to the football games (not sure why you mention b-ball)? It’s not the individual big boosters. It’s the businesses that buy preferred seating to “give to clients” or as a “write off”.
You'd think they'd give them to the Big Brothers/Sister programs or similar if they're not going to be used. What I've done when I have seats that I can't used.

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
In the meantime... the athletic department is reaching out to sell tickets. I received a call this morning asking if I had obtained tickets. I gather this call was based on the unclear bowl poll request that they sent out a couple of weeks ago in which I showed interest in the Camping World Bowl. I did order my tickets through SU like most of us here.

They also tried to get me to re-join the season ticket holder group. Kind of hard to justify when you live in Atlanta. I had football season tickets for 6-7 years and even basketball season tickets for 3-4 years. I never once was able to use my hoops tickets and only used my football tickets once every other year. Lots of time spent selling tickets on StubHub... ;)

UnknownOrange

All Conference
In the meantime... the athletic department is reaching out to sell tickets. I received a call this morning asking if I had obtained tickets. I gather this call was based on the unclear bowl poll request that they sent out a couple of weeks ago in which I showed interest in the Camping World Bowl. I did order my tickets through SU like most of us here.

They also tried to get me to re-join the season ticket holder group. Kind of hard to justify when you live in Atlanta. I had football season tickets for 6-7 years and even basketball season tickets for 3-4 years. I never once was able to use my hoops tickets and only used my football tickets once every other year. Lots of time spent selling tickets on StubHub... ;)
Sales staff reaching out to help sell bowl tickets/try to get renewals or new seats.

As a former ticket sales rep when we had the Texas bowl we did the same. It was nice to have the main talking point be the bowl game but can easily pivot to renewing the seats you had in the year or if you no longer had seasons; good way to get you back.

texascpa

Living Legend
You'd think they'd give them to the Big Brothers/Sister programs or similar if they're not going to be used. What I've done when I have seats that I can't used.
That's nice and all, but not everyone thinks the same and not every has the same cause for not going.

Top Bottom