• Reminder: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

There’s a link in the top navigation bar for Amazon.com. Purchases made via this link help support Syracusefan.com.

After Years of Supporting a Bad Product...

Ish88888

All American
I'm not sure about this distinction.

One of these guys is deliberately trying to be annoying, the other is just talking out of his hat and usually doesn't even seem to be aware that others think his takes are off the wall.
I know some of my takes are off the wall, i also try and stay in the middle a bit and not spew the orange all over the place when something needs to be said. That said, i love cuse and this board and you fellas. ;)

Ish88888

All American
Why talk down about the boosters? They play a huge part in the success of the program. You know those Dome renovations and Dino's raise? It won't just be ACC money paying for it.
Oh come on, this isnt the south. What, maybe 10-20 mega boosters having the coin to contribute to the reno and Dino's salary? I boosters and how close fans can get to their team is part of the reason i love college sports.

But, to big league some fans out of this opportunity isnt a good look. Sure, i know we alall can go out and look for deals and piece together our own package but 2 things: the university has the leverage to get package deals dt projected numbers. Secondly, fans look for the convenience of an already built package. Pay and go where all logistics are taken care of. Thats my argument.

Bayside44

Staff member
Oh come on, this isnt the south. What, maybe 10-20 mega boosters having the coin to contribute to the reno and Dino's salary? I boosters and how close fans can get to their team is part of the reason i love college sports.

But, to big league some fans out of this opportunity isnt a good look. Sure, i know we alall can go out and look for deals and piece together our own package but 2 things: the university has the leverage to get package deals dt projected numbers. Secondly, fans look for the convenience of an already built package. Pay and go where all logistics are taken care of. Thats my argument.

There is fundamentally no difference in this package if it was 500 bucks less. It’s a donor event, that’s just how it goes.

Ish88888

All American
I, and many others, would be more pleased if those "big boosters" actually showed up to games more often so there weren't so many embarrassing silver seats at midfield / center court.

Maybe there is something to be said for casting a wider net. We have heard 1,000 times about SU sports not hitting their fund raising targets. Isn't SU teaching social media in Newhouse? Isn't the new trend getting thousands of smaller donors, instead of a few dozen / few hundred big ones?
The new trend is targeting, well supposedly targeting that model. However , i know 2 alums, donors, and boosters over the years that have been waiting for a bowl game to show up to a cuse fb game. They are going to Orlando, one hasn't seen a fb game since GR and the other since PP. great guys and thet mail in the $$$$, but might need GPS to get to the dome. I get it, cant get on these guys, every program knows this kinda alum.

Ish88888

All American
Ish, I'm not sure I understand your point. Any product that provides convenience, reduces stress, logistics, etc comes with a price tag. Why are you surprised and why shouldn't the travel agency do the same? The companies, even the university, is not a charity.
I get u TCPA , and thanks for talking to me without the insults. Though, i get it and can take it. Most respond with venom when talking negatively about their school. Which i am by no means doing, we all love the same school:)

My point involves convenience and lack of logistics vs the strength in numbers when booking in numbers and bulk as the university did. I get it, its a very demanding time of year to travel between xmas and new years.

As Ithacamatt stated, , why not offer a tier of packages that cover a broader demographic instead of only the elite ? Serously, if we want a better reputation id travelling, we need to take care more than the upper demographic and offer a package both convenient and affordable for most in the middle. Hell, why not? As Ithacamatt and others have stated, there are and were similar packages available for around 1k. Thats sig. Staying at the team hotel and traveling with the team isn't in demand. Would LOVE to see a package for half the price that offers the same minus the team hotel and charter. Aa an option. Would entice alot of cuse fans on the fence. Also ine more night in Orlando and returning in sat.

Orangeman

All Conference
Hate replying to this thread, but...

I got flights out of NYC area, hotel on my own using points...luckily not hard from NYC area.

Bought tickets on the site, didn't quite like what the site allocated me, so I called the next day and the very nice person re-seated us so to speak in better seats in the same price zone ($133 or whatever for midfield, unfortunately I missed the window for the club seats, which is a good sign I guess). Felt the price was worth it after she helped me get on the aisle.

I'm trying to figure out Rental Car vs. Uber, heard the stadium isn't in perfect area (from a meeting Uber with family perspective). Anyone with perspective here please advise.

Couple days at Disney, solid seats for a Top 20 matchup...going to be very fun.

I can tell you flights out of Logan in Boston are no bargain. 650 each person. Could have gone cheaper but we are flying in game day morning and out the next morning. Can’t risk stops on that schedule... but even with stops it only saves a couple hundred. Hotel... at the airport... 300 for just about anyplace you aren’t going to need at tetanus shot to sleep in. Game tickets... well I get those free but I bet it won’t be an open air box lol. Rental car $100. Trying to talk my wife into the 75 tailgate but she doesn’t think we need that... ugh woman.
That said I do think this charter is just some airline they booked into a whole plane... I doubt the school has anything to do with it other than getting a kickback. Your not flying with the team... they fly down days before this package leaves. And I’m not sure if the hotel will be with the team either. I haven’t seen where the package says you stay but I bet it would be hard press to find a hotel in Orlando with that many rooms available ahead of knowing who is going. Camping world bowl probably sets up the hotel for the team to have ahead of time but they probably don’t hold rooms for travel agents as well... if it was a local school going you probably don’t need as many rooms as a far away team like this. I’m guessing the whole package costs the agent 1200 per person give 400 to the university and keep the rest.

SmilinBob

Hall of Fame
I couldn't care less if SU charges $50 or 50,000 for their package. It's their choice to do as they please.

IthacaMatt

Living Legend
And maybe you're right to offer a lesser package but even still - it's expensive, and convenience brings a higher price tag

However, how can you say it's a 60% mark up? Did you see how much flights were out of Syracuse? The flight alone for a single person (non direct, mind you) is up over $700. A direct flight? Over 1k

They're chartering a flight, aren't they? You can do that for, what, $20-30,000. Then you can put 150 people or so on the plane. That's $200 per person.

IthacaMatt

Living Legend
I can tell you flights out of Logan in Boston are no bargain. 650 each person. Could have gone cheaper but we are flying in game day morning and out the next morning. Can’t risk stops on that schedule... but even with stops it only saves a couple hundred. Hotel... at the airport... 300 for just about anyplace you aren’t going to need at tetanus shot to sleep in. Game tickets... well I get those free but I bet it won’t be an open air box lol. Rental car $100. Trying to talk my wife into the 75 tailgate but she doesn’t think we need that... ugh woman.
That said I do think this charter is just some airline they booked into a whole plane... I doubt the school has anything to do with it other than getting a kickback. Your not flying with the team... they fly down days before this package leaves. And I’m not sure if the hotel will be with the team either. I haven’t seen where the package says you stay but I bet it would be hard press to find a hotel in Orlando with that many rooms available ahead of knowing who is going. Camping world bowl probably sets up the hotel for the team to have ahead of time but they probably don’t hold rooms for travel agents as well... if it was a local school going you probably don’t need as many rooms as a far away team like this. I’m guessing the whole package costs the agent 1200 per person give 400 to the university and keep the rest.
Usually events have holds on blocks of hotel rooms. Especially in Orlando. This is the bowls setting it all up. I'm sure this isn't their first rodeo. This is how they make money.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
You are correct about the charter flight. It’s not the team flight. But the package doesn’t say it is. The hotel however in the package is the team hotel and the package does say that.

Top Bottom