Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

Stern

All American
Alabama players tested on Tuesday, then practiced (in a non-organized team activity) with 50 other players on Wed, then got results today that at least 5 players tested positive. All 50 players now will be in a 2-week quarantine.

This is the challenge schools (and NFL teams) are going to face come the fall unless something drastic changes.

Alabama players tested on Tuesday, then practiced (in a non-organized team activity) with 50 other players on Wed, then got results today that at least 5 players tested positive. All 50 players now will be in a 2-week quarantine.

This is the challenge schools (and NFL teams) are going to face come the fall unless something drastic changes.

In what world do you not wait for the results to come back before grouping everyone together? That's just poor planning.

Edit: poor judgement on the players' part. Wait for the results THEN get together.

Last edited:
Oklahoma state 3
Arkansas state 7
Marshall 4
Ole Miss 2 (one at home -3)
Iowa state 1

These "voluntary" workouts always crack me up. You can't get 50 college aged guys to voluntarily commit to anything that didn't involve girls, food, or beer.

How long does it take for word of you skipping a workout to land on Saban's desk? Under 2min?
Nothing voluntary in football starting in 7th, or 9th grade...

To your other point... football players happily play football or workout on their own... why 'bama has 50 In quarantine instead of 5.

This is why SU is putting players in pods of 10. Now they have to be smart enough to limit contact with only that group of ten. That can be adjusted after 14 days. I believe the plan is to slowly build to the entire team.

It is going to happen across the country.

Biggest thing is no national outbreaks (i.e. isolate cases the best you can) and minimize exposure to at-risk populations to avoid death.

I think everything should work itself out if that happens. At least I hope so.

This is why SU is putting players in pods of 10. Now they have to be smart enough to limit contact with only that group of ten. That can be adjusted after 14 days. I believe the plan is to slowly build to the entire team.
Informal survey...

If you, and say 100 friends all got a test, waited in quarantine for the results, everyone tested negative what would you do?

I'm guessing the winner here, is probably going to be have a cookout (party), or at least get together, with scientific certainty (at least belief with evidence) that you could do so responsibly...

I'd personally be comfy with that... less comfy waiting weeks and weeks, after many other public interactions. (Grocery, Delivery, etc...)

Informal survey...

If you, and say 100 friends all got a test, waited in quarantine for the results, everyone tested negative what would you do?

I'm guessing the winner here, is probably going to be have a cookout (party), or at least get together, with scientific certainty (at least belief with evidence) that you could do so responsibly...

I'd personally be comfy with that... less comfy waiting weeks and weeks, after many other public interactions. (Grocery, Delivery, etc...)
It's a one off as the next one would require the test again to assure all 100 didn't interact with an infected person. That is the fear for the "second wave". It is hard to regain control once you let go of the leash (maybe a terrible analogy, but its the first one that came to mind).

some of the colleges will get answers much faster if they have on campus type research facilities. There are a bunch of 14-30 min tests that are waiting on approval and schools need that by fall

These "voluntary" workouts always crack me up. You can't get 50 college aged guys to voluntarily commit to anything that didn't involve girls, food, or beer.

How long does it take for word of you skipping a workout to land on Saban's desk? Under 2min?
That is a ridiculous statement. Everyone knows it takes at least 4 minutes to get to Saban's desk. Sheesh

It's a one off as the next one would require the test again to assure all 100 didn't interact with an infected person. That is the fear for the "second wave". It is hard to regain control once you let go of the leash (maybe a terrible analogy, but its the first one that came to mind).
I wonder if they'll do that?

This is an insanely high percentage of players being positive.
1. test results are wrong
2. Asymptotic without issues (then let’s get on with our lives)
3. A total shutdown of college and pro sports (not to mention schools) because this is very widespread and legislators believe we need a cure or Vaccine to continue normal life.
4. Anyone’s guess. Let’s pick the blue box.

Oklahoma state 3
Arkansas state 7
Marshall 4
Ole Miss 2 (one at home -3)
Iowa state 1
You can take the OSU ones off the list. Mike Gundy assured everyone it was a hoax.

On a serious note, though, the potential for this to spread through teams like wildfire is terrifying. Even if the players are OK, the exposure to the rest of the school is not inconsequential, especially the older professors.

how do you know the profs are gonna be exposed? the classes i have talked with there are many plans to have a live class virtually taught . the prof will be in a class room and the kids in another class room and then every one can talk which in some of the big lecture rooms is pretty much how it works already as no one can really here them talk without the video/projection and speakers/mics

some of our classes were already being done that way since they had way more kids than could fit in the rooms being used.

Informal survey...

Clinical lab tests all have a confidence factor, the best of them are about 95 percent. Assuming these tests are that good, far from certain, your scenario could still have 2.5 positives undetected in that sample group. Testing does not guarantee an individual is free of the virus nor does it guarantee, if positive, that an individual has the virus. It is merely a tool.
Therefore if you were in the most susceptible groups you should not party, or at least wear PPE at the party.

Last edited:
Clinical lab tests all have a confidence factor, the best of them are about 95 percent. Assuming these tests are that good, far from certain, your scenario could still have 2.5 positives undetected in that sample group. Testing does not guarantee an individual is free of the virus nor does it guarantee, if positive, that an individual has the virus. It is merely a tool.
Therefore if you were in the most susceptible groups you should not party, or at least wear PPE at the party.
Imagine. Halloween going to be off the charts in 2020.

how do you know the profs are gonna be exposed? the classes i have talked with there are many plans to have a live class virtually taught . the prof will be in a class room and the kids in another class room and then every one can talk which in some of the big lecture rooms is pretty much how it works already as no one can really here them talk without the video/projection and speakers/mics

some of our classes were already being done that way since they had way more kids than could fit in the rooms being used.
I have no idea how Syracuse is going to handle the actual classes, but if you think the above system is going to remove the threat of exposure and/or work seamlessly, then you're markedly more optimistic than I am.

I also want to point out that there are significantly more avenues for exposure than the literal class during the actual lecture. But even in your scenario, you'd have professors and students in the same building, and you'd have situations where virtually every student could potentially be infected within the first week.

Ignore professors for a second, and appreciate the fact that your scenario groups all students together in the same room. Now imagine a class of 15 students who meet 3x a week for an hour a meeting with one asymptomatic student. How many people could you reasonably imagine him/her infecting within that week? Now imagine that student having 5-6 classes (15-18 credit hours), so multiply that number by 5-6. Now imagine those infections having similar course loads and their potential to cross infect before their symptions appear. That's just the in-class risk. Account for waiting before class, the transition between classes (waiting in the hall for the prior class to end or sitting in an infected person from the prio class' seat), dining hall exposure, extraciricular activity (weight room, bars, restaurants, sport events, generally hanging out, etc.), and doorm/shared living exposure and the risk is probably many times bigger. Now focus back on the professor, and imagine being and old man or woman and trying to navigate a building and a campus with all of those infected people. Keep in mind that the above nightmare scenario started with only one infection and only had a week duration. A semester is about 15 weeks, and there are portentially dozens of initial infections (maybe more).

Can you verify your data? (I'm not trying to be flippant) I know test specificity is at 99.8% for 3 antibody tests... do you know the specificity for the tests run? It's kind of an important detail... ;-) some of that old info...is old... some of these are spit tests, and I forget that specificity...its not a minor detail.

Please provide a link to these tests.
some of the colleges will get answers much faster if they have on campus type research facilities. There are a bunch of 14-30 min tests that are waiting on approval and schools need that by fall