Alaska | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alaska

A great friend died climbing Denali. A regular Orangeyes kind of guy. Shame.

Man, sorry to hear that. I can't imagine the physical and mental strength it takes to attempt a climb like that.

Man, you know I don't exercise lol. I'm lucky I had sneakers. Since then, I've spent a few dollars at the local REI, still checking out different hiking shoes, boots tho

I've switched to wearing trail running shoes when I hike. Lighter than boots, and I just do day hike stuff, so no need for the heavy stuff.

Man, you know I don't exercise lol. I'm lucky I had sneakers. Since then, I've spent a few dollars at the local REI, still checking out different hiking shoes, boots tho
I've been wearing Merrells for a long time. Tried to go away from them, but they're so comfy out of the box (and relatively cheap) and the gortex are reasonably waterproof. I need the thick sole going over all the granite in the North East.

Nice pics Adam!
I own a lot of hiking/fishing gear, my Saloman hiking boots are just about my favorite out of everything. Soo comfortable and stable, protection and of course waterproof. I did accidentally slip in a lake last weekend and had them soaked through and through. Had a spare pair of dry wool socks, hiked back out 6 miles no problem.

K-2 Aviation lost an entire plane this summer on Denali and ground is too steep and high to recover the bodies.
K2.PNG

K-2 Aviation lost an entire plane this summer on Denali and ground is too steep and high to recover the bodies. View attachment 137951

There’s already a thread on that. Let’s keep this Alaska thread to things that actually make people want to come visit and enjoy what Alaska has to offer

For hiking in the Brooks Range the footwear of choice is semi-custom LLBean boots; leather uppers, rubber lowers and a Vibram sole. Also carry slip on sneakers for stream crossings. If you contact them they will replace the standard gum sole with a Vibram sole.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom