Albany Game Thread... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Albany Game Thread...

There are some on the team but there not ready yet like a Nanticoke is, remember he took a PG year hes not some 18 year old kid fresh from high school. SU has Cook, Magnan, Fiorini, Berkman, and hopefully Austin Staats coming next year.
We need an influx of talent like we need oxygen.

We need an influx of talent like we need oxygen.

I hear ya Reed, good news we do have it but its very young or not here yet. This class has a ton of midfield depth and potentially stars but there playing in there second game, there going to take some time to develop. Next years class brings in the attack stars we need in Cook, Staats (hopefully), Berkman and others plus Fiorini and Magnan at middie. Help is on the way.

I hear ya Reed, good news we do have it but its very young or not here yet. This class has a ton of midfield depth and potentially stars but there playing in there second game, there going to take some time to develop. Next years class brings in the attack stars we need in Cook, Staats (hopefully), Berkman and others plus Fiorini and Magnan at middie. Help is on the way.
Good, and not a moment too soon. In the meantime, why is the #1 recruit playing for Albany instead of Syracuse? That just shouldn't happen. That's the guy we HAVE to have. Instead, we're going to spend the next 4 years getting destroyed by the Cody Jameson of 2018. It doesn't seem right.

Good, and not a moment too soon. In the meantime, why is the #1 recruit playing for Albany instead of Syracuse? That just shouldn't happen. That's the guy we HAVE to have. Instead, we're going to spend the next 4 years getting destroyed by the Cody Jameson of 2018. It doesn't seem right.

Well SU recruited him and so did a couple of other schools and he wanted to follow in the footsteps of the Thompsons. I think we went after him pretty hard but he chose elsewhere. Recruiting took a big hit in 2013 and 2014 and even 2015 wasn't an excellent class 2016, 2017 and next years class are back to the norm for SU. Other note is Albany is a very Senior heavy team they lose a ton to graduation next year. 2/3rd of the starting attack, close D, both LSM, their goalie amongst others.

Well SU recruited him and so did a couple of other schools and he wanted to follow in the footsteps of the Thompsons. I think we went after him pretty hard but he chose elsewhere. Recruiting took a big hit in 2013 and 2014 and even 2015 wasn't an excellent class 2016, 2017 and next years class are back to the norm for SU. Other note is Albany is a very Senior heavy team they lose a ton to graduation next year. 2/3rd of the starting attack, close D, both LSM, their goalie amongst others.
Ok, appreciate the info, Jer. Maybe this is just a down/young year and Albany's (way) up. It just seems strange to turn on the TV and see humiliation like that from a SUNY school that couldn't sniff SU-level recruits 5-10 years ago.

Tough to swallow todays loss. I expected it but I was thinking more of a 15-12 kind of game and not a 15-3 beatdown. Ierland did his thing, giving the potent Albany offense multiple possessions and not allowing a young SU offense to find any rhythm. It seems as though with all the low shots they took in the beginning that they got into Madonnas head as he kept dropping low on their shots through out the rest of the game. Passing wasn't crisp leading to unforced turnovers which hurts even more when you can't win possessions on the face off. Hopefully the offense matures as the season goes on.

One positive take away though from the game is that the man down defense looked real good.

It seems as though with all the low shots they took in the beginning that they got into Madonnas head as he kept dropping low on their shots through out the rest of the game. Passing wasn't crisp leading to unforced turnovers which hurts even more when you can't win possessions on the face off.

Madonna saw 50 shots. They credited him with 11 saves but I counted 13-15. That’s close to 50% save pct in a pure bloodbath. Any goalie that sees 50 shots with a 2-1 lopsided time of possession is going to get tired and miss a few. That kid stood on his head in the first half to keep them in that game. Goalie and D can only do so much.

They couldn’t win a faceoff, possess the ball for more than 45 seconds at a time and the T. O. P. was probably close to 35-40 mins in favor of UAlbany. The offense needs to do some soul searching and figure themselves out or else it’s going to be a loooooooong season.

Complete novice talking here...

Albany has built a program using kids from NY that the "Blue Bloods" didnt want. Even the coach's son went to Hopkins. They now run teams off the field with a bunch of NY kids with a few Canadian kids sprinkled in. Syracuse is smack in probably the third most talent dense area in the Country, and the first or second most talent rich state, not to mention all the NE preps, NJ, preps, metro Philly, and the Canadian kids, yet they have to pull recruits from Texas, Oregon, Georgia, Michy, etc. Maybe they should rethink that approach?

If we don't start going to some of the young guys then your 100% right. As I noted 3-4 months ago changing up the schedule this year to make it harder made absolutely zero sense when you looked at how young this team was and what we lost to graduation. Now its all about getting the young guys some PT, finding some answers at SSDM and attack and 2nd mid line and setting the foundation for next year.

Agreed wth were they thinking with this schedule? With the schedule the way it is I think you have to throw the young kids into the fire, shrug your shoulders and deal with them taking their lumps. Not that I’m throwing in the towel after game two, but you might have to play for the future at this point. I’m concerned right now this is going to be a losing season. I anxiously await how they bounce back against Army. That’s a tough game.

I didn’t see anything today from this team. Forget the face offs, when they had possession, the sloppines, dropped passes, throw always. That was most concerning to me I think. And they obviously don’t have anyone who can carry them So they can’t afford to be sloppy.

To your other point, I think we’re falling in to this trap of always looking to the next year and next group of recruits. Undstanding our talent is young but not one of them made me think wow, he’s gonna be good. No stars or stars in the making right now. Another bunch of average imo. Past great SU teams always had those one or two young kids who belonged. Man I just don’t see it right now.

On a side note, I was super impressed with #17 Patterson for Albany today, Sophomore outta Arizona, huh? He had some elite level moves. I think he’s going to be a stud.

Complete novice talking here...

Albany has built a program using kids from NY that the "Blue Bloods" didnt want. Even the coach's son went to Hopkins. They now run teams off the field with a bunch of NY kids with a few Canadian kids sprinkled in. Syracuse is smack in probably the third most talent dense area in the Country, and the first or second most talent rich state, not to mention all the NE preps, NJ, preps, metro Philly, and the Canadian kids, yet they have to pull recruits from Texas, Oregon, Georgia, Michy, etc. Maybe they should rethink that approach?

The sport has exploded at the high school level, there are recruits coming from all over the country now. SU has tried to expand there reach nationwide but they still have a lot of local and North East guys. SU hasn't had as much Native representation the last 4-5 years but even now they still have a couple on the team and a couple more in the next few recruiting classes and perhaps more in transfers. The days of just recruiting NY, Long Island, and Maryland are long over.

Tough to swallow todays loss. I expected it but I was thinking more of a 15-12 kind of game and not a 15-3 beatdown. Ierland did his thing, giving the potent Albany offense multiple possessions and not allowing a young SU offense to find any rhythm. It seems as though with all the low shots they took in the beginning that they got into Madonnas head as he kept dropping low on their shots through out the rest of the game. Passing wasn't crisp leading to unforced turnovers which hurts even more when you can't win possessions on the face off. Hopefully the offense matures as the season goes on.

One positive take away though from the game is that the man down defense looked real good.

I sat first row behind the Albany bench, after about the 4th/5th bounce shot save Marr and Merrick started instructing all of their shooters to shoot high.

We got rolled. Kudos to Albany. This team is very young and is going to take time to come into form. I still think the D and our goalie can be very good. Hard to get it going when the other guys have the ball pretty much the entire game and you're facing a shooting gallery. Did not like the sloppiness on the offensive end at all. That needs to get fixed fast. Slow it down and pick your shots. Play smarter.

1 more quick thought. Let’s see how Varello bounces back. I think he’s good but TD is on another level. It is what it is.

Last edited:
imagine a world where 5 star basketball prospects from durham starting going to UNCC. that's basically what we're dealing with here.
I hardly ever agree with you on anything, but this is spot on.

Agreed wth were they thinking with this schedule? With the schedule the way it is I think you have to throw the young kids into the fire, shrug your shoulders and deal with them taking their lumps. Not that I’m throwing in the towel after game two, but you might have to play for the future at this point. I’m concerned right now this is going to be a losing season. I anxiously await how they bounce back against Army. That’s a tough game.

I didn’t see anything today from this team. Forget the face offs, when they had possession, the sloppines, dropped passes, throw always. That was most concerning to me I think. And they obviously don’t have anyone who can carry them So they can’t afford to be sloppy.

To your other point, I think we’re falling in to this trap of always looking to the next year and next group of recruits. Undstanding our talent is young but not one of them made me think wow, he’s gonna be good. No stars or stars in the making right now. Another bunch of average imo. Past great SU teams always had those one or two young kids who belonged. Man I just don’t see it right now.

On a side note, I was super impressed with #17 Patterson for Albany today, Sophomore outta Arizona, huh? He had some elite level moves. I think he’s going to be a stud.

Yup Army is 3-0 after beating Rutty today. I think SU matches up a lot better then they do with Albany but Baretto is an elite level goalie when he is on. Not surprised the offense struggled at all to be honest. They lost to much to graduation and don't have the upper level players at this point to step in to fill the void. The only upper classman in the top 6 is Solomon who is a good attackmen but not a great dodger and not an elite finisher.

I know its starting to become a "wait till next year" feeling like the fball team but the talent in this years class and next years is light years better then anything SU has brought in, in 5+ years. Offensively the 2013 class was a disaster and 2014 was even worse. 2015 was a little bit better but it wasn't until 2016 we got back to an SU level class at least offensively. The 2017 and 2018 class are chock full of higher end offensive players a few of which could become stars. Dordevic, Curry, Seebold Quinn all have high end potential but there no where near Frosh ready like a Nanticoke or Mike Powell. Give those guys some time to develop along with Rehfuss, and some of the other younger guys like Lauder, Lipka, Buttermore and you have a team that looks like a patented SU squad. Next year SU gets what they need from the attack standpoint in Cook, Berkman, the Maryland kid and with any luck Staats. Put Staats and Cook on this first attack unit with Rehfuss and Solomon, watch out.

1 more quick thought. Let’s see how Varello bounces back. I think he’s good but TD is on another level.

I think not having Martin hurt, Maryland last year used literally 4 Faceoff guys before one of them started to have some sucess against Ierlan. Only having two guys in Varello and Delisle was a recipe for disaster. 2 new guys coming in at the X next year and Phoup is redshirting. Wouldn't be surprised if we hit the transfer market again.

We got rolled. Kudos to Albany. This team is very young and is going to take time to come into form. I still think the D and our goalie can be very good. Hard to get it going when the other guys have the ball pretty much the entire game and you're facing a shooting gallery. Did not like the sloppiness on the offensive end at all. That needs to get fixed fast. Slow it down and pick your shots. Play smarter.

What concerns me is that when Syracuse did have the ball the Albany defense smothered them. The albany goalie has always been good, but is the Albany D that good? If they are wow.

What concerns me is that when Syracuse did have the ball the Albany defense smothered them. The albany goalie has always been good, but is the Albany D that good? If they are wow.

There better then they have then but no there not that good. They have 3 or 4 seniors out there on there top 6 defense men. This is Albany's year to make a run to the title game, if they don't do it this year it will haunt them forever.

I hardly ever agree with you on anything, but this is spot on.

Where he’s wrong is that Syracuse did not recruit any of the Albany kids. Your not talking kids picking UNCC over Duke. It’s being done with the kids Duke didn’t recruit. That might change now though.

For the record, Ierlan finished 2nd behind Baptiste last year with a 70.8% faceoff win rate.

This kid will be a PITA for 2 more years. :oops:

Yup Army is 3-0 after beating Rutty today. I think SU matches up a lot better then they do with Albany but Baretto is an elite level goalie when he is on. Not surprised the offense struggled at all to be honest. They lost to much to graduation and don't have the upper level players at this point to step in to fill the void. The only upper classman in the top 6 is Solomon who is a good attackmen but not a great dodger and not an elite finisher.

I know its starting to become a "wait till next year" feeling like the fball team but the talent in this years class and next years is light years better then anything SU has brought in, in 5+ years. Offensively the 2013 class was a disaster and 2014 was even worse. 2015 was a little bit better but it wasn't until 2016 we got back to an SU level class at least offensively. The 2017 and 2018 class are chock full of higher end offensive players a few of which could become stars. Dordevic, Curry, Seebold Quinn all have high end potential but there no where near Frosh ready like a Nanticoke or Mike Powell. Give those guys some time to develop along with Rehfuss, and some of the other younger guys like Lauder, Lipka, Buttermore and you have a team that looks like a patented SU squad. Next year SU gets what they need from the attack standpoint in Cook, Berkman, the Maryland kid and with any luck Staats. Put Staats and Cook on this first attack unit with Rehfuss and Solomon, watch out.

I think that’s why you just have to throw them in the fire now. They’ll be better for it now than waiting til next year. Thank Lane for his service and throw your next best underclassman in there.

For the record, Ierlan finished 2nd behind Baptiste last year with a 70.8% faceoff win rate.

This kid will be a PITA for 2 more years. :oops:

At least we got the better of him last year so we can say we had some success. Ierlan will likely run into the same problems Ben and Bones Kelly did last year as Seniors, 4 years of taking 98% of their teams faceoffs will inevitably wear him out.