Albany Game Thread... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Albany Game Thread...

I'm not an insider like Jeremy or Woody. But I get the feeling that Desko's a little too cavalier about recruiting. That may be one of the reasons for the program's slow bleed over the last 7-8 years. These days with so much competition, if anything SU should be going the extra mile for special kids in our backyard. We should have been camped out at the Res. until Nanticote committed. That's how good he is .. Cody Jameson good.

Nanticoke is not an Onondagan ...he’s Canadian - Six Nations just an fyi

Albany has 6 natives on their roster

I'm not an insider like Jeremy or Woody. But I get the feeling that Desko's a little too cavalier about recruiting. That may be one of the reasons for the program's slow bleed over the last 7-8 years. These days with so much competition, if anything SU should be going the extra mile for special kids in our backyard. We should have been camped out at the Res. until Nanticote committed. That's how good he is .. Cody Jameson good.

Nanticoke attended IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL.

And SU has a former player on the coaching staff.

And it didn't matter...

Video Emerges For Six Nations Product And No. 23 Junior Tehoka Nanticoke, A, IMG Academy (Fla.)

"...despite their efforts to recruit him, Syracuse is not a destination that Nanticoke has in mind."

We need to figure out why SUNY Albany was more attractive to him than SU.
I can’t find it now, but he did an interview where he discussed his reasoning for picking Albany. From what I remember he mentioned the relationship with Marr and their exciting up and down offense.

Last edited:
What are you people gonna complain about next year when we have Austin Staats on the roster. There are many reasons why SU has struggled the last 10 years by their standards. Not sure you can punish Desko for not getting Tehoka.

We’ve definitely had the talent over the last 5 + years to win. I’m more concerned with how he’s managed games than recruited. He ran Ben W into the ground. Mistakes like that are way more infuriating.

Last edited:
Fans tend to be bipolar. Euphoric last week with praises sung, now melting n lashing . All in a span of seven days. The Albany game was always going to be tuff to win given the different stages of teams.. Dissapointed with the struggles yesterday but the future is not suddenly bleak .
This transitional season will be as chaotic as some expected with highs n lows. Hopefully yesterday was a season low

Its not time to panic the coaches will
Make the adjustments, dig in and do the hard work!

Attack needs changing to two dodgers Seebold/Rehfuss and Solomon with Bomberry and Voight as finishers!

Faceoff and wings needs work!

SSDM needs work and the 2nd line midfield needs changing!

Def and Goalie is still very strong.

We all knew this weeks ago, we are a young team that needs time to develop!

Let’s keep behind the team and staff!

Last edited:

Attack needs changing to two dodgers Seebold and Solomon with Bomberry and Voight as finishers!

Yesterday was hard to watch but I do take issue with those who challenge the "effort" of the team. For much of the game, the defense was heroic (I doubt many teams will hold Albany to four goals in a half this year). They wore down and started to make dumb fouls out of frustration. The ground ball total should've been wildly in favor of Albany given Ierlan's dominance; it wasn't. The mistakes made by the offense were the results of several things, immaturity, anxiety over playing "catch-up," and ill-advised "hero-ball." For the second week in a row, it may be time to "pump the brakes."

Attack needs changing to two dodgers Seebold and Solomon with Bomberry and Voight as finishers!

Agree with your constructive perspective. At attavk, Refhus best provides the breakdown abilty with his speed. Some believe team may be best suited with Bomberry at mid n perhaps that move will be considered along with some other changes. Believe team will get better, just a really bad day at office but issues can be resolved

Attack needs changing to two dodgers Seebold/Rehfuss and Solomon with Bomberry and Voight as finishers!

Agree with most everything you've said but I thought Dami actually played quite well at SSDM yesterday. #24 Hutchings bot burned a bunch of times yesterday at SSDM but thought Dami played really well especially given he's true Frosh.

I can’t find it now, but he did an interview where he discussed his reasoning for picking Albany. From what I remember he mentioned the relationship with Marr and their exciting up and down offense.
Exactly my point. That used to be SU's style.

Agree with most everything you've said but I thought Dami actually played quite well at SSDM yesterday. #24 Hutchings bot burned a bunch of times yesterday at SSDM but thought Dami played really well especially given he's true Frosh.

I thought I’d actually put that Dami has played fine, I think he’s a huge plus as a freshman and am very happy with the way he has played, he was unlucky that his goal was waved of for offside!

Last edited:
Does anyone keep Time of Possession as a stat? I'd love to know how long Albany had the ball and also a break down of the SU offensive personnel and how many times they saw the field. Its hard to judge an offense when you rarely have the ball and when you do, kids try to do too much to get a goal. The offense is a disaster cause of the missed fall ball time. Too many times yesterday they gave the ball back to Albany b/c of poor shot selection. When your D plays defense for 3+ mins there is no need to shoot on the first or 2nd alley dodge. Give your teammates some rest, move the ball and get their D rotating.

Lost the FO battle, GBs, and shots. Nanticoke had 15 shots, SU 23. In total 50-23. 14 TOs, 4 failed clears isn't going to win you many games.

Does anyone keep Time of Possession as a stat? I'd love to know how long Albany had the ball and also a break down of the SU offensive personnel and how many times they saw the field. Its hard to judge an offense when you rarely have the ball and when you do, kids try to do too much to get a goal. The offense is a disaster cause of the missed fall ball time. Too many times yesterday they gave the ball back to Albany b/c of poor shot selection. When your D plays defense for 3+ mins there is no need to shoot on the first or 2nd alley dodge. Give your teammates some rest, move the ball and get their D rotating.

Lost the FO battle, GBs, and shots. Nanticoke had 15 shots, SU 23. In total 50-23. 14 TOs, 4 failed clears isn't going to win you many games.

The lack of a full fall ball season is definitely apparent. Lack of a senior leader on offense is also hurting, to many young kids out there for the first time or out there for the first time as the #1 or #2 option.

The lack of a full fall ball season is definitely apparent. Lack of a senior leader on offense is also hurting, to many young kids out there for the first time or out there for the first time as the #1 or #2 option.

Here is our Offensive recruiting class from 2013. I didn't include JUCO's and transfers, or defensive players...

Evans, Jordan
Forkin, J.T.
Lane, Matt
Maltz, Dylan
McGinley, Hayes
Nash, Syrrus
Schmitt, Spencer
Simmons, Ryan
Weston, Nick

Lane and Simmons redshirted. They are our only 5th year Seniors. Everyone else either graduated in 4 years or left the program.

Here's 2014. Some of these guys are now 4th year Juniors. Some of them are gone..

Carlin, Patrick
Farrell, Nathan
Ferguson, Brennen
Ford, Tyler
McKinney, Brad
Parker, Max
Schwasnick, Luke
Thorpe, Gale
Vehar, Zachary

We have no Senior Leadership on offense, because we have no Seniors on offense.

Here is our Offensive recruiting class from 2013. I didn't include JUCO's and transfers, or defensive players...

Evans, Jordan
Forkin, J.T.
Lane, Matt
Maltz, Dylan
McGinley, Hayes
Nash, Syrrus
Schmitt, Spencer
Simmons, Ryan
Weston, Nick

Lane and Simmons redshirted. They are our only 5th year Seniors. Everyone else either graduated in 4 years or left the program.

Here's 2014. Some of these guys are now 4th year Juniors. Some of them are gone..

Carlin, Patrick
Farrell, Nathan
Ferguson, Brennen
Ford, Tyler
McKinney, Brad
Parker, Max
Schwasnick, Luke
Thorpe, Gale
Vehar, Zachary

We have no Senior Leadership on offense, because we have no Seniors on offense.

That is concerning!!! last year we would have been in trouble without a UMass transfer and a walk on!