Albany Game Thread... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Albany Game Thread...

OK, my wife thinks I'm crazy, but if you ignore the droning characteristics of Ryan Powell's delivery, does anyone else think he sounds like Kevin Costner?
They both overstate the obvious?

It takes good team defense to wear down Nanticoke and we certainly got that, but I need to give Tyson Bomberry a shout-out. I thought it would be a mistake having him guard Tehoka after last season. Our physicality out there was impressive with some big hits from Bomberry and Mellen on Tehoka.

Nanticoke wasn't worn down, he was clearly injured to the point where all he could do was stand around.

Nanticoke wasn't worn down, he was clearly injured to the point where all he could do was stand around.

Go back to the first quarter, on Albany’s second goal. As the shot is being taken from the outside, Nanticoke crumples to the turf. Kennedy crushed his ankle with a slash

Go back to the first quarter, on Albany’s second goal. As the shot is being taken from the outside, Nanticoke crumples to the turf. Kennedy crushed his ankle with a slash

Which is why we shouldn't take too much away from this win.

Which is why we shouldn't take too much away from this win.

The ankle didn’t stop Nanticoke from steaming down the field before Bomberry rocked him.

But I agree, to a degree. We overreacted last week and will potentially overreact this week. But this was an exciting effort. Cuse took it to Albany for most of the game. They were more physical than they’ve been in years. It’s something to build on for Army, which is always a physical game.

then why the (to quote marr) FLIPP was he still on the field ? dude just stood still out top in the 4th.

Didn't see the whole game but from what I saw Carlin looked like he had a strong game.

That was as physical a game as I have seen in years

I wouldn't say Kennedy "crushed" his ankle on that. It looks like he barely swung at all watching the replay. It must have just got him in the right spot. Either way if he was injured here is no way that is what caused it. He was running around plenty after that and didn't look gimpy at all.

I wouldn't say Kennedy "crushed" his ankle on that. It looks like he barely swung at all watching the replay. It must have just got him in the right spot. Either way if he was injured here is no way that is what caused it. He was running around plenty after that and didn't look gimpy at all.

He looked very gimpy after that. TV showed him being taped up by the trainer. After that, he was a statue.

He looked very gimpy after that. TV showed him being taped up by the trainer. After that, he was a statue.

Not the impression I got at all. His dive goal (where he actually got quite a bit of air) and his run on the fast break where he got decked by bomberry both happened after that and he still wanted the ball to dodge for most of the first 3 quarters. He looked slow by the end but i doubt it was from that one check. If it was he didn't let it get to him for most of the game.

Looks like he was trying to connect with the cutter and missed low. Wasn’t that vicious.

Looked worse slo mo, which is when I noticed it. Still crumpled Nanticoke.

He may also have simply gotten frustrated with how physical Cuse was and how difficult it was for Albany’s offense to get going. He’s not used to that, and may have pouted a bit. If so, he needs to grow up and take charge

They also taped up his left ankle and he clearly got hit on the right by Kennedy.

Nanticoke scored after the swipe. Nanticoke played hard, ran fast (in a straight line, at least). Nanticoke was taped up but it is not likely what slowed him. He is nearly 250#, he is not built to run constantly. His game is to muscle people around and wear them down into the ground. Bomberry was on him like glue, nobody could pass to him, he tried moving around and wore himself out. He had flashes, but basically was planted for most of the game, even before the swipe.

Aside from that, SU shut down the other scorers on Albany's team. Albay is a high powered scoring machine, yes they lost some talent from last year. Yes, this was their first game of the season. Thus, even if Nanticoke was slowed by an injury and Bomberry had nothing to do with the lack of Nanticoke's performance, the defense did a great job.

Enjoy the victory. Now we know the team can play, play fast and play tough defense. We know teh team can play like last week or this week. At least we have a reason to hope the team plays more like they did today than last week.

tenor-2.gif

if anyone see's Griffin, please let him know that lacrosse season has arrived.

View attachment 153675
if anyone see's Griffin, please let him know that lacrosse season has arrived.
Cook looked good yesterday. Finalized his man fairly well a couple times and almost had a goal but they called a questionable moving pick call. Also almost scored on a question mark dodge against a long pole but the goalie made a nice save. He will score and draw some slides for us this season especially against shorties

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom