Albany Pregame Articles and Videos | Syracusefan.com

Albany Pregame Articles and Videos

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse vs Albany
Saturday, February 17, 2018 | 2:00 p.m.

No TV scheduled.

You can only watch online on ACC Network Extra through Watch ESPN or by using the Watch ESPN app for tablets and mobile devices.

You can also listen to the game on TK99 (99.5 FM) ESPN Radio 97.7 in Syracuse (Men's Basketball will be on TK99 and WAER). WAER will join in progress.

DWPayDeVoAA1mxm.jpg

Albany's game notes are out and there projected starting lineup is a follows:

ATTACK

#1 Tehoka Nanticoke Fr. N/A #1 recruit in 2017 class by IL

#5 Connor Fields Sr. 55G, 62A, 27GB 2017 Tewaaraton Trophy Finalist

#11 Justin Reh Sr. 39G, 19A, 21GB 2017 America East All-Conf. 2nd Team

FOURTH ATTACKMAN
#12 Mitch Laffin So. 11G, 4A, 6GB 2017 America East All-Rookie Team
#24 Jacob Patterson So. 23G, 3A, 20GB 2017 America East All-Rookie Team

FIRST MIDFIELD

#38 Sean Eccles Jr. 23G, 7A Nine career man-up goals
#40 Kyle McClancy Sr. 29G, 13A, 27GB, 10CT 2017 USILA, IL Media All-American
#43 Josh Egan Sr. 2G, 5A 2017 America East Elite 17 Winner

SECOND MIDFIELD
#20 Noah Taylor Jr. 1G, 3GB
#23 Jack Burgmaster Jr. 2G, 1A, 11GB 2016 America East All-Rookie Team
#24 Alex Burgmaster Fr. N/A #85 recruit in 2017 class by IL

FACEOFF

#3 TD Ierlan So. 70.8% (323-456) 2017 USILA, IL Media All-American

CLOSE DEFENSE/LSM
#10 Troy Reh (LSM) Sr. 33GB, 19CT, 5G, 10A 2017 IL Media All-American
#25 Stone Sims Sr. 15GB, 9CT 2017 IL Media All-American
#34 Matt Perla Jr. 5GB
#37 Erik Dluhy Jr. 18GB, 4CT 2017 America East All-Conf. 2nd Team
#45 AJ Kluck (CD/LSM) Sr. 19GB, 11CT America East All-Academic Team
#47 Connor Filipowski So. 3GB, 2CT, 1A

GOALKEEPER

#9 JD Colarusso R-Sr.

Not a ton of surpises to be honest. A little interesting that Patterson is listed at attack and not at midfield and that Egan is starting at midfield. Gotta say while there attack looks great that midfield outside of McClancey looks questionable. Not much in the way of experience on the second line either but I have heard some positive news on the younger Burgmaster so not suprised he grabbed a second line spot.

IL: Weekend Preview: #HappyHourLacrosse, Ivy League is Here and Albany-Syracuse in the Dome

No. 4 Albany at No. 7 Syracuse (1-0)
When: Saturday, 2 p.m. (WatchESPN)
Last meeting: Feb. 18, 2017; Syracuse won 10-9
Coverage: Dan Aburn (@Dan_Aburn), Terry Foy (@TerenceFoy) and Casey Vock (@CVock) will be in the Carrier Dome

You’ve always got to be careful about reading too much into one game, but after a 21-4 win over Binghamton (their largest victory since 2009), it’s so far, so good for the Syracuse Orange. Brendan Bomberry led the team with a career-high five goals and an assist, Stephen Rehfuss provided a career-high five points (3, 2) and Danny Varello won 15 of 17 face-offs. Eight players scored more than one point against the Bearcats, which is a level of participation the Orange hope to continue to some degree this weekend; Bomberry scored a goal and three assists in last year’s win, making him the only returning Syracuse player who tallied multiple points in the game.

Meanwhile, the season finally begins for the Albany Great Danes, which means the long-awaited, eagerly anticipated debut of attackman Tehoka Nanticoke, whose one-handed between-the-legs goal in a fall scrimmage permeated social media quicker than if Keyboard Cat had learned to play “Chocolate Rain” while doing the running man challenge. Of course, you certainly can’t forget about senior Connor Fields (55, 62 in 2017), the Tewaaraton finalist fresh off the fourth-highest scoring season in DI history. Despite averaging over three goals per game throughout his career, he hasn’t scored quite as many as he’s used to when it comes to the Orange. Fields recorded four assists in last year’s loss, and although he scored a pair of goals against the Orange in the 2016 NCAA Tournament, was held to two assists in the 2016 season opener. In fact, of the three career games where Fields has been held without a goal, two have come against the Orange.

Game notes here -

Syracuse University Athletics - Albany 2018 Complete

No roster changes (they don't usually announce unless a change has been made in the the previous game). Should be interesting game ... I think the Danes win this, though hopefully I am wrong. I think they probably have too much firepower, and I think they probably get the better of the face-off battle. I have high hopes for Mellen and Bomberry, but Albany always seems to have midfielders flying around the place. Defenses will have to keep their heads on a swivel. Curious to see how often Desko rotates his midfield lines, and how many guys he ends up playing. I think he still rotates three for a majority of the game, but a lot probably depends on possessions.

Game notes here -

Syracuse University Athletics - Albany 2018 Complete

No roster changes (they don't usually announce unless a change has been made in the the previous game). Should be interesting game ... I think the Danes win this, though hopefully I am wrong. I think they probably have too much firepower, and I think they probably get the better of the face-off battle. I have high hopes for Mellen and Bomberry, but Albany always seems to have midfielders flying around the place. Defenses will have to keep their heads on a swivel. Curious to see how often Desko rotates his midfield lines, and how many guys he ends up playing. I think he still rotates three for a majority of the game, but a lot probably depends on possessions.

I think you have it right. My biggest concern is the X and SU spending all there time concentrating on Fields and Nanticoke. I do think that if SU can get enough posessions Desko will be subbing liberally as Albany's achilles heal is lack of quality depth especially on Defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom