Albany, Random Thoughts, etc | Syracusefan.com

Albany, Random Thoughts, etc

outoftownie

2nd String
This is really long...
Tried starting this a couple of times but I have been sidetracked by family each time. A lot has been written about this game and I won’t rehash all of it.

First, I’ll focus on Albany. Man they are good, like national champion contender good. A few years ago when they had the Thompsons they didn’t have the depth or versatility this team has going for it. Everybody talks about nanticoke coming out of this one, but make no mistake about it the most important and best player on the field in that game was TD Irelan. The game changes so much when it is basically “make it take it” and he was automatic yesterday. With the amount of talent Albany has on its attack, when the get repeated chances on offense they will make you pay. You cannot continue to get stops, they will wear you down. I am not sure they lose a game in the regular season game this year.

Now for Syracuse, what can you say, they played pretty crappy. After last week’s game I mentioned that there would be ups and down because of the youth with this team. I really didn’t think the downs would be this low. I am pretty sure they are not 20 goals better than most teams, but I am also confident they are not 3 goals a game bad. The answer is somewhere in between. Just a few points on their play. The ball needs to spend more time in 29s stick and he needs to be a calming factor for the team. I felt there were a couple times during the game when SU was down a few and they made really bad unforced errors. It would have been great for Desko to use a timeout, settle the team and try to get a good look. Even when they were down and out it would have been a good idea. As for the middies, wow they shot terrible all game. Even 12s first goal was right at the goalies stick.

Looking forward, got to bounce back and come out quick versus Army. SU normally struggles with them and the longer you let them stick around the more confidence they will get. Hopefully we can get back on track with draws and even up possession. When we have the ball I hope we push transition but do not try to make something out of nothing.

Random Thoughts
  • I’m done with the third midfield group and there is zero reason they should have played in the first quarter.
  • 44s ole defense was how I will remember his career.
  • If 11 wants to be a leader, he cannot get multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Play with passion and violence, but get yourself in check.
  • Marrs hair is great. I heard Mike Gundy say recruits know him immediately because of his mullet. It’s working for Marr too.
  • Albany’s rise isn’t the main reason for SU’s “decline.” It’s had an impact, but I think the bigger impact is from the power 5 teams that have jumped into lacrosse. Twenty years ago teams like ND, PSU, and Ohio St had D1 teams but didn’t all have full time coaches and zero to four scholarships. SU used to battle Loyola, Hopkins and UMass for recruits. Now there are a lot of major players.
  • SU is pricing itself out of some players. There are only 12.6 scholarships, SU tuition isn’t realistic for many middle class families. Obviously this doesn’t apply to Nanticoke, but normally 97% of your players aren’t getting full ride. Albany is a great alternative and that is where SU is losing “glue” guys they had in the past.
  • Lack of quality players coming out of central NY has been a huge issue for SU.
  • Do I think SU could do a better job recruiting? yes
  • Do I think SU recruited _________? Yes, doesn’t matter the name, if they are making an impact SU put some effort in.
I’ll hang up and listen.

Last edited:
I touched on the tuition issue in another thread.

SU's tuition is $43,440. UAlbany's tuition is $6,470 for a NYS resident, or $21,550 for an out of state kid.

That's a tough selling point.

And I agree that Section 3 has been down. Cook from J-D will be the 1st local kid to crack the Top 50 rankings in a while.

Cost difference indeed factors for a middle class family in recruitment and retention. Syracuse is a good school and lax program but a real financial stretch and sacrifice for a few families and their sons.

May be controversial but I think TD would have been more of an important pick up for the Orange than Tehoka we have offensive weapons already we just need the rock! I still think Varello is a great Face Off guy and Still needs experience and more development.

Pick yourself up boys!!! HHH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom