All inclusive 2021/22 recruiting thread | Syracusefan.com

All inclusive 2021/22 recruiting thread

PhatOrange

Living Legend
I wanted to start an all inclusive recruiting thread for this winter. Don’t like cluttering prospect threads with general discussion and things get lost.

This is the lowest number of kroots I can ever remember this late in the year. (And I’ve been paying attention since ‘90). What we’re doing and what we’re going to do is a mystery to me. I’ve ever never seen anything like it and there’’s been literally nothing floating around the web. I can usually get stuff from various newspapers around the country but it’s been literally radio silence.

With the number of pseudo starters and depth guys hitting the portal and the lack of our recruiting right now I’m generally worried about the gap it’s going to cause this program for the foreseeable future. With HCDB on thin ice it also potentially impacts the next guy.

Last edited:
I wanted to start an all inclusive recruiting thread for this winter. Don’t like cluttering prospect threads with general discussion and things get lost.

This is the lowest number of kroots I can ever remember this late in the year. (And I’ve been paying attention since ‘90). What we’re doing and what we’re going to do is a mystery to me. I’ve ever never seen anything like it and there’’s been literally nothing floating around the web. I can usually get stuff from various newspapers around the country but it’s been literally radio silence.

With the number of pseudo starters and depth guys hitting the portal and the lack of our recruiting right now I’m generally worried about the gap it’s going to cause this program for the foreseeable future. With HCDB on thin ice it also potentially impacts the next guy.
Part of the blame can go to the portal. The number of recruits needed to make the 85 cap has grown substantially. It's different than where we were a month ago.

I believe that with players entering the portal it is going to cause a more dragged out recruiting process. Schools looking to pick up experienced players to replace the ones they lose to the portal.

We whiffed on some early targets and lost 2 decommits. Had we been more effective closing we’d probably be sitting at 16-18 right now if I had to guess. 10 is extremely low at this time, especially in the early signing day era. The only time I can think in years past where we were this low at this time was when a coach left or was fired.

We whiffed on some early targets and lost 2 decommits. Had we been more effective closing we’d probably be sitting at 16-18 right now if I had to guess. 10 is extremely low at this time, especially in the early signing day era. The only time I can think in years past where we were this low at this time was when a coach left or was fired.
our coach should have left or been fired, maybe that counts?

Part of the blame can go to the portal. The number of recruits needed to make the 85 cap has grown substantially. It's different than where we were a month ago.

I believe that with players entering the portal it is going to cause a more dragged out recruiting process. Schools looking to pick up experienced players to replace the ones they lose to the portal.

It’s an interesting dynamic for sure and bears watching. If schools go with college kids it’ll mean more (and better) HS kids available. Or the other way around. We’re so low compared to the rest of P5 it might actually work to our advantage this recruiting year. But that’s being optimistic.

14 weeks since our last committment

But we did have a de-committment. I check everyday. My finger is sore

Going to be fascinating to see how it finishes and the effect of a portal on a coaches hot seat (are portal transfers more likely to not want to come to Cuse due to using their free transfer, does the security of the portal for a commit to utilize in the event of a coaching change matter on the impact for HS recruiting). Unfortunately, going to be an interesting test case for all of college football.

Of the commits, they have started to grow on me after the season film has come out. Not sure there are any instant contributors here, but there are tools to mold in every prospect.

Foster has an intriguing skillset as a DB and his film reminded me a lot of Nunn's (who may be the guy that breaks out with Cole being a grad transfer)

Brown's film jumped a little bit, showing a bit of everything, some top end speed, agility, some catching with the hands, some burst.

Schuster shows tackle athleticism with some of the road grading style that the staff hasn't seemed to traditionally target in the tackles (been a strong part of the interior OL recruiting).

Mason is an aggressive down hill backer w/ burst, see some Stefon Thompson attributes in him

Wilson has some ball skills, strikes me as a FS. 8A FL school, those guys tend to be more ready to play right away

Bassette is an end for me, looks like he should excel in a scheme with stunting, which White loves to do. Seems athletic for a big boy w/ a burst.

Allen showed me some things on his film I did not see in his film last year. The burst, the 1-cut ability, quick acceleration, natural pass catcher.

Peterson is an ACC CB. 6'1 with length. Hips really work, has closing speed. Seems like a strong scheme fit and think he is now my sleeper of the class.

Perry kind of envisions where I thought the Rover would go. Play downhill, keeps eyes in the backfield, basically a LB skillset in a DB. Thought we saw that a little more from Barron, not as much from Hanna.

Cruz has good feet for a tackle, seems similar to the tackles that Syracuse has recruited in the past. Can't teach the athleticism, so put muscle on them.

When I started this exercise, I wasn't expecting to like the tools as much as I did, especially when my favorite recruit had since decommitted (Price is a good one). I remember being underwhelmed by this class before the season when I reviewed the film. After looking at senior year film, I am optimistic about this class, though you obviously hope for a bit better numbers wise at this stage of the calendar.

As history suggests, comes down to who is going to be a January enrollee to have a chance to play early.

I know people are pessimistic at some positions. Need 1 or 2 WR's from the portal physically ready to play immediately (optimistic that between Hatcher, Pena, Alford and Gadsden, at least 1 ACC caliber WR will emerge, really need it from one of the outside guys), need some DL in the worst way, since you don't want to play frosh at that spot (though everyone is looking for good DL, the shift in recruiting philosophy from Ward to White hurt this position the most).

I think we get 3-4 more high school kids early signing period, then a couple of transfers, 2-3. Late signing period another 2-3 high school kids we don't know about and another couple of transfer. Add in a few spring flyers and we are looking at adding another 11-12 kids for this cycle when it's all said and done.

And we are only aware of a handful of them currently.

The interesting thing about the new portal rules is that they might benefit coaches on the hot seat with retaining recruits they used to miss out on because of the insecurity. Go to school with the coach you feel comfortable with and then transfer out if the staff is fired that follow year. Dino will be an interesting test of this.

Alternatively, it could hurt Dino land non-grad transfers because they would be virtually stuck with the program even if the staff is dismissed.

I think we get 3-4 more high school kids early signing period, then a couple of transfers, 2-3. Late signing period another 2-3 high school kids we don't know about and another couple of transfer. Add in a few spring flyers and we are looking at adding another 11-12 kids for this cycle when it's all said and done.

And we are only aware of a handful of them currently.
Don't forget JUCOs.

I cannot wait to see who we land in the portal/juco for the d line

Some nice high school prospects visiting this week(end)

Still some unknowns out there, and some JUCO and transfer as well.

We will see a handful of commits come out of the woodwork.

We will still be relatively small class size but it will be less daunting come February signing day.

Going to be fascinating to see how it finishes and the effect of a portal on a coaches hot seat (are portal transfers more likely to not want to come to Cuse due to using their free transfer, does the security of the portal for a commit to utilize in the event of a coaching change matter on the impact for HS recruiting). Unfortunately, going to be an interesting test case for all of college football.

Of the commits, they have started to grow on me after the season film has come out. Not sure there are any instant contributors here, but there are tools to mold in every prospect.

Foster has an intriguing skillset as a DB and his film reminded me a lot of Nunn's (who may be the guy that breaks out with Cole being a grad transfer)

Brown's film jumped a little bit, showing a bit of everything, some top end speed, agility, some catching with the hands, some burst.

Schuster shows tackle athleticism with some of the road grading style that the staff hasn't seemed to traditionally target in the tackles (been a strong part of the interior OL recruiting).

Mason is an aggressive down hill backer w/ burst, see some Stefon Thompson attributes in him

Wilson has some ball skills, strikes me as a FS. 8A FL school, those guys tend to be more ready to play right away

Bassette is an end for me, looks like he should excel in a scheme with stunting, which White loves to do. Seems athletic for a big boy w/ a burst.

Allen showed me some things on his film I did not see in his film last year. The burst, the 1-cut ability, quick acceleration, natural pass catcher.

Peterson is an ACC CB. 6'1 with length. Hips really work, has closing speed. Seems like a strong scheme fit and think he is now my sleeper of the class.

Perry kind of envisions where I thought the Rover would go. Play downhill, keeps eyes in the backfield, basically a LB skillset in a DB. Thought we saw that a little more from Barron, not as much from Hanna.

Cruz has good feet for a tackle, seems similar to the tackles that Syracuse has recruited in the past. Can't teach the athleticism, so put muscle on them.

When I started this exercise, I wasn't expecting to like the tools as much as I did, especially when my favorite recruit had since decommitted (Price is a good one). I remember being underwhelmed by this class before the season when I reviewed the film. After looking at senior year film, I am optimistic about this class, though you obviously hope for a bit better numbers wise at this stage of the calendar.

As history suggests, comes down to who is going to be a January enrollee to have a chance to play early.

I know people are pessimistic at some positions. Need 1 or 2 WR's from the portal physically ready to play immediately (optimistic that between Hatcher, Pena, Alford and Gadsden, at least 1 ACC caliber WR will emerge, really need it from one of the outside guys), need some DL in the worst way, since you don't want to play frosh at that spot (though everyone is looking for good DL, the shift in recruiting philosophy from Ward to White hurt this position the most).
I really like the defensive recruits still remaining in this class, a lot of upside there, good athletes and really solid recruits top to bottom and Allen on the offensive side looks legit, whichever side of the ball he ends up on. From there it's project types on the OL that size/athletically fit the staff's OL type and Brown at WR, and that's it. I haven't seen Brown's Sr film but his Jr film left a lot to be desired, so glad to hear that his Sr film looks better. His recruiting still has been meek and a 2-10 Vandy team offering him really doesn't prove anything IMO, so glad to hear his film looks better. We basically so far have recruited well to positions that Dino's staff has developed a competency with (DB/LB/RB) and have really struggled with quality and quantity in this class at positions of dire need (WR/DL).

Hopefully we close out the early period strong with some more solid recruits at areas of need. I'm still a little dumbfounded at the lack of buzz around WR in this class - I don't think we've even been mentioned with a HS or JUCO WR recruit in ages.

I really like the defensive recruits still remaining in this class, a lot of upside there, good athletes and really solid recruits top to bottom and Allen on the offensive side looks legit, whichever side of the ball he ends up on. From there it's project types on the OL that size/athletically fit the staff's OL type and Brown at WR, and that's it. I haven't seen Brown's Sr film but his Jr film left a lot to be desired, so glad to hear that his Sr film looks better. His recruiting still has been meek and a 2-10 Vandy team offering him really doesn't prove anything IMO, so glad to hear his film looks better. We basically so far have recruited well to positions that Dino's staff has developed a competency with (DB/LB/RB) and have really struggled with quality and quantity in this class at positions of dire need (WR/DL).

Hopefully we close out the early period strong with some more solid recruits at areas of need. I'm still a little dumbfounded at the lack of buzz around WR in this class - I don't think we've even been mentioned with a HS or JUCO WR recruit in ages.
I posted his senior film this morning in his thread.

Last edited:

I'm hoping WR Jullian Lewis from South Florida pops up on the visit list this weekend. His recruitment has been radio silence but I know Swag was recently at his house according to a twitter pic. Other than that I've got nothing...maybe the kids on the roster are ready to make the leap.

I'm hoping WR Jullian Lewis from South Florida pops up on the visit list this weekend. His recruitment has been radio silence but I know Swag was recently at his house according to a twitter pic. Other than that I've got nothing...maybe the kids on the roster are ready to make the leap.

Good post.

Now that they are experienced, our best chance for that to occur is for Jackson and Alford to take the next step, and firmly establish themselves as the main guys. I'm hopeful that Gadsen / Javonte Williams [who drew rave reviews in preseason camp] can also emerge.

From there, it would be great to see them add a portal transfer, or maybe even two, who are ready to contribute right away. There's a kid from FIU I'd love to see us land.

Isn't Queeley returning? If so, it would be great to see him more as a 3rd, 4th, or 5th guy in this unit. That would be a sign that the unit is improving.

Need this group to be better next year. Hopefully, the new OC helps as well.

Good post.

Now that they are experienced, our best chance for that to occur is for Jackson and Alford to take the next step, and firmly establish themselves as the main guys. I'm hopeful that Gadsen / Javonte Williams [who drew rave reviews in preseason camp] can also emerge.

From there, it would be great to see them add a portal transfer, or maybe even two, who are ready to contribute right away. There's a kid from FIU I'd love to see us land.

Isn't Queeley returning? If so, it would be great to see him more as a 3rd, 4th, or 5th guy in this unit. That would be a sign that the unit is improving.

Need this group to be better next year. Hopefully, the new OC helps as well.

The other interesting guy here is Umari Hatcher actually made appearances in 2 games offensively from what I noticed (including Clemson) and played in 4 overall to preserve the redshirt. Was my favorite WR recruit of the last 2 classes and, his inclusion to the mix at Clemson suggests the staff was intrigued from what they saw in practice.

Think he will make a jump if he is able to put any weight on whatsoever (which Syracuse has not proven it can do at that position unfortunately)

We basically so far have recruited well to positions that Dino's staff has developed a competency with (DB/LB/RB) and have really struggled with quality and quantity in this class at positions of dire need (WR/DL).

I agree with the above to a point. I think last year's class did some very nice things at WR/DL. I think our complaints on the dire needs (WR and DL) can be more attributed to previous misses (and mostly huge misses) and 1 notable defect that lead to putting some tough expectations on younger WR's (Alford) and DL's.

That is where I get confused when looking at the team, there is ACC tools at every level of the roster now (going off recruiting film), except for TE (which is offset by Elmore returning to a lead blocker role). There is more ACC talent here now than at any other point of the program (IMO).

The question is if that talent can then be molded into ACC caliber players and ACC caliber muscle. I know, at WR, when Sharod was made the starter, people hoped for a Custis like breakout year, but I was nervous for the position. I am going to feel the same way if Queeley breaks camp as a starter next year. There is more raw talent that can help at that position and has to be coached up to help immediately next year if the portal help doesn't arrive.

As I said earlier in the thread, the portal is going to create a more dragged out recruiting process.

American Football Coaches Association executive director Todd Berry told ESPN on Friday that the increasingly active transfer portal -- not the mid-December signing period for high school players -- is driving discussion about possibly changing the recruiting calendar.

Discussions are underway with the Division I football oversight committee and the recruiting subcommittee on whether moving back the first signing period to early January would better serve the sport.

I cannot wait to see who we land in the portal/juco for the d line
I won't be holding my breath. Something smells when we have had 15 departures on a 5-7 team. I certainly felt it was frightening when all the players left the womens team .