All the talk of Dino’s system | Syracusefan.com

All the talk of Dino’s system

AAM62

All Conference
Honestly...does it work in 2019? It’s no longer a differentiator and there are uptempo teams that don’t waste downs on predictable dives and utilize the middle of the field. I’ve seen no innovation here, so the question is, do we really have a system that will mask talent deficiencies in 2019 and beyond?

Honestly...does it work in 2019? It’s no longer a differentiator and there are uptempo teams that don’t waste downs on predictable dives and utilize the middle of the field. I’ve seen no innovation here, so the question is, do we really have a system that will mask talent deficiencies in 2019 and beyond?
The lack of middle of field passing has been a theme for 3 years... before this year the answer was Dungey can’t read the middle of the field, when Tommy comes in that will all change and we will use the middle of the field. Are we so sure about that anymore?

I beat this drum last year... this offense puts up stats but is very very inefficient. I haven’t ever been really impressed by it yet.

I have said it often today. Tommy may end up being good but a dual threat qb is a must here. Dungey flat out said Chance was better than Tommy and should start I think for the fact that when the play breaks down, you can get yards running and keeping defenses guessing... when there’s qb rushing then there’s tempo then you can open the playbook ...

I’m gonna be super harsh here but honestly what has been shown by tommy that he’s such a great qb? Last year custis made him look really good on throws that basically were jump balls. If the TE from Unc doesn’t drop a wide open pass the game is over and Tommy’s interception loses them the game ...this is the third year in this. I’ve played a division I sport, my 3rd year seemed like decades compared to my first year and I guess that’s where I’m just having a tough time with the system, lack of tempo, and lack of quality QB play so far and apparently “lack of tape”...

I coach football. When I played I spun the pill. And I cannot understand for the life of me of why we don’t own the middle of the field. I gear everything we do over the middle and getting in the QBs LOS. I don’t get this at all.

In the end, Dino wants to run the ball (that was definitely Briles' m.o. though I get there are differences in systems). Rather than focusing on what the QB can and cannot do, why isn't there more concern about why we cannot generate a consistent running game in year four of Dino's system?

Every team plays with tempo now. UMD's offense looked more innovative/clever today. They schemed open receivers over and over and when they ran the ball they got chunk plays too.

We ran that dive fake pass play 3 times on 2nd and 10 for 1 yard...

In the end, Dino wants to run the ball (that was definitely Briles' m.o. though I get there are differences in systems). Rather than focusing on what the QB can and cannot do, why isn't there more concern about why we cannot generate a consistent running game in year four of Dino's system?

Agree play to your strengths and that’s the 3-Headed monster we have on offense at RB

Top 25 is not bad though. I don’t see why someone would not that that. Especially with the high volume of drives we had due to turnovers

The fact that we can't cover the middle yet never use the middle ourselves is an annual head scratcher.

They are both symptoms of the same problem. Our lack of an effective running game and our apparent need for a dual threat QB are both a result of an ineffective offensive line.

Which baffles me because it’s one of few positions that aren’t dominated by players from the Deep South. BC has been getting O-linemen for decades. The B1G teams get them. I watched Buffalo open holes last night against PSU. Our o line has been subpar since Doug was here, and that was only a few year stretch of decent line play.

Dino recognizes this, obviously, and has repeatedly made references to the “elephants and hippos”. I just haven’t seen any appreciable improvement in the o line over the last 4 years.

It took Dabo Swinney about eight years to build a juggernaut and he started out with a winning crew. HCDB is in year four and had bare cupboards when he arrived.

Any coach will tell you that games are won in the trenches. HCDB is building that but it will take a few more years for the trenches to be automatic. Most freshman O-linemen are not ready for D1 football. To play at the top level you need at least the two deep O-line to Brady to go at a moment's notice. We do not have that and because we are not in an automatic reload situation, it takes much more time. Heckel is out, players shifted, the reserves are not ready to take over, the O-line is not a strength.

And none of this excuses the way the D played today. The offense did not allow 63 points. Missed tackles alone could have changed the outcome. As could missed assignments.

The system works. I agree we need more middle of the field production, but the system works.

As to the need for a dual threat QB, TD needs to use his speed. Most QBs considered to be dual threat suffer with accuracy issues. The system is designed to exploit accuracy. However, when there is no O-line protection, no one has the requisite accuracy.

The fact that we can't cover the middle yet never use the middle ourselves is an annual head scratcher.

Maybe because they don't do it on O so the D doesn't see it in practice?

Since you're assuming that we have to mask talent deficiencies here and in the future, let's hear some ideas about how to mask it better.

Maybe because they don't do it on O so the D doesn't see it in practice?

It’s funny...early last year, running teams ate our lunch because our LBs took too long to fill gaps and runningbacks consistently got to the second level. Yesterday I watched our LBs crash downhill like a boulder on every playaction fake, leaving the middle of the field wide open.

It's hard to effectively cover the middle when both of your linebackers are wrestling with a guard at the line of scrimmage.

It’s funny...early last year, running teams ate our lunch because our LBs took too long to fill gaps and runningbacks consistently got to the second level. Yesterday I watched our LBs crash downhill like a boulder on every playaction fake, leaving the middle of the field wide open.

It's hard to effectively cover the middle when both of your linebackers are wrestling with a guard at the line of scrimmage.

Good points...same thing happened last year early in the season vs Clemson and Pitt and Pitt couldn't pass to save their lives. They adjusted as the season progressed and hoping that happens this year too but with some of the young LB's the curve is probably going to be wider as Guthrie had more experience.

Also, curious on TD's play fakes along with his snap counts? Sometimes it seemed Maryland knew exactly when he'd take the snap. I think he'll get better at both but admit I didn't really watch that hard on the fakes.

The system is ok (not magical), Dino is upgrading talent and motivating our guys, but let’s be clear — the talent isn’t yet where it needs to be. Maryland had better talent at almost every spot, except DE, Tristan Jackson, and Servais. And MD’s line neutralized our DL strength.

Dino and staff have struggled in recruiting bigs, QBs, receivers, LBs (except for the promising 2019 trio). Getting better — not there yet.

26th in points per play and 22nd in points per drive.

Still good but PPG can be misleading.

Lol. 26th and 22nd out of 130 teams is still very good. There are things to nitpick about the offense, but if there’s one thing I have faith in Dino fixing, it’s the O.

They can’t recruit and develop OL. That’s why.

Every team plays with tempo now. UMD's offense looked more innovative/clever today. They schemed open receivers over and over and when they ran the ball they got chunk plays too.

We ran that dive fake pass play 3 times on 2nd and 10 for 1 yard...
This is exactly what I’m getting at

Since you're assuming that we have to mask talent deficiencies here and in the future, let's hear some ideas about how to mask it better.
I’m not the coach. There was a word between the and coach that got edited out.

Backers couldn't shed blocks and couldn't tackle, they might as well not have been in the game.

Could have put cardboard cutouts in there and they would have played about the same.

Also, why can't we stop a slant pattern? I saw at least 7-10 slant patterns that were pretty much uncovered and almost every one was for 8+ yards.

Secondary was atrocious.

WR's gave upon routes, OL was bad...I mean wow, just wow. Appears that we learned how to block from bullfighters.

We are going to have a hard time with both Pitt and BC, they both run the ball really really well. And they both appear to have offensive lines that can block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom